The Controller will report directly to the Chief Financial Officer. The Controller is responsible for overseeing all of the accounting and financial reporting functions, and cash and investment management and serving as the key liaison to the One Stop Shop with the student accounts and Bursar functions. The Controller is responsible for monitoring and ensuring adherence to the internal control policies and procedures of the University. This position will also have ability to sign certain University contracts.
REPORTS TO: Chief Financial Officer
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
Financial Accounting and Reporting:
- Oversee the day to day financial accounting business processes including cash receipts, cash disbursements, payroll, purchasing and grants accounting.
- Oversee the annual external financial statement audit, including the A-133 and NCAA audits.
- Prepare regular financial reports to assess performance to date and collaborate with the external auditors during the annual audit.
- Lead the implementation of new accounting standards for financial statements, revenue recognition, and lease accounting.
- In conjunction with the Chief Financial Officer, represent the University with external parties such as auditors, banks, investment and tax consultants, attorneys and the Internal Revenue Service.
- Supervise the Assistant Controllers, Accounts Payable, Payroll, Grants, and Cashiers.
- Collaborate with other members of the University on matters relating to finance.
- Serve as the primary contact person with the Office of Information and Technology for SAAS (general ledger) and other financial accounting and information systems.
- Prepare and reconcile fundraising reports for the Office of University Advancement and distribution to the Board of Trustees and President.
- Prepare ad hoc reports and analyses, as requested by the President, Vice President for Finance and Admin, and Chief Financial Officer.
- Prepare quarterly and ad hoc financial reports for Board of Trustees to assess the financial health of the University and support decision-making.
- Review and authorize all accounts payable checks ensuring compliance with University policies and procedures and external regulations.
- Review all expense reimbursements for the President and Trustees, and prepare reports on such activities for submission to the Chair of the Audit Committee of the Board of Trustees.
- Ensure that effective internal controls are in place and compliance.
- Ensure compliance with long-term debt agreements, including debt service payments, annual reporting requirements, monthly billings and debt covenants.
- Lead the preparation of financial reporting and documentation associated with any financings.
- Manage Endowment funds for compliance with donor stipulated endowment and restricted fund agreements.
- Ensure compliance with all IRS tax policies and regulations
- Prepare various external financial reports including IPEDS, Federal Nursing Loan Report, Annual Financial Aid Report (FISAP), and other reports as required by the federal government and other external reporting agencies.
- Prepare all tax returns - Forms 990, 990-T, 1099's, 1098's, W-2's, 941's, etc.
Cash and Investments:
- Oversee the treasury operation and coordinate investment management operations and reporting with the university's Outsourced Chief Investment Officer (OCIO).
- Work with the OCIO to provide quarterly investment reports for Investment Committees of the Board of Trustees.
- Manage daily operating cash and approving wire transfers and ACH payments.
- Monitor investments, ensuring compliance with approved allocations and investment policy alongside the OCIO.
- Prepare Cash Flow Analysis and Projections.
Student Account Services and Cashiers:
- Work with members of Enrollment, Registrar, Student Account Services, and Student Financial Services to implement the One Stop Shop where all student-facing functions within these areas will be centralized.
- Coordinate the collection of student accounts receivable for current and past-due accounts with the One Stop Shop.
- Review and approve all student refund requests as necessary in conjunction with the One Stop Shop.
- Approve all requests for write offs of student accounts and assignment to outside collection agencies.
- Approve exceptions to the University's policies for Tuition and Fee, refunds, billing and payment policies and procedures, expense reimbursements.
- Oversee the billing and financial reports requirements for all grants and sponsored projects.
- Review monthly medical claims and ensure adequate reserves are maintained for the University's self-insured medical plan. Participating in semi-annual meetings with the Insurance Carriers and consultants regarding medical and pharmacy plans.
- Collaborate with Human Resources on labor relation negotiations, medical, retirement and other fringe benefits.
REQUIREMENTS: (Knowledge, skills and abilities)
- Significant experience in how state and federal laws and regulations impact private universities, including policies and procedures in the areas of business, financial administration, and risk management.
- Extensive knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Standards pertaining to higher education institutions.
- A work history that demonstrates progressively higher levels of managerial and administrative responsibility in comparable public or private institutions of higher education.
- Excellent communication, managerial and human relations skills.
- Knowledge of implementation of automated solutions in finance and administration, i.e., e-Procurement, financial reporting, etc. ERP implementation experience a plus.
- Knowledge of investments, banking, and fringe benefits.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance.
- Master's degree or Certification in Public Accounting (CPA) required.
- 10 years of experience in higher education finance.
- Strong supervisory skills and experience required.
POSITION(S) DIRECTLY SUPERVISED:
- Assistant Controllers (2).
- Senior Accountant.
- Director of Cashiers.
- Director of Student Account Services.
Adelphi University, New York, is a highly awarded, nationally ranked, powerfully connected doctoral research university dedicated to transforming students' lives through small classes with world-class faculty, hands-on learning and innovative ways to support academic and career success. Adelphi offers exceptional liberal arts and sciences programs and professional training, with particular strength in our Core Four—Arts and Humanities, STEM and Social Sciences, the Business and Education Professions, and Health and Wellness. Recognized as a Best College by U.S. News & World Report, Adelphi is Long Island's oldest private coeducational university, serving almost 8,000 students at its beautiful main campus in Garden City, at learning hubs in Manhattan, the Hudson Valley and Suffolk County, and online. The University offers more than 60 undergraduate programs, more than 65 master's degree and doctoral programs, and more than 35 certificate programs in the liberal arts, the sciences and professional training. With powerful partnerships throughout the New York area, more than 116,000 graduates across the country, a growing enrollment of students from 43 states and 64 countries, and rising rankings from top publications and organizations, Adelphi is a dynamic community that plays a leadership role on Long Island and in the region.
To apply, visit https://phf.tbe.taleo.net/phf02/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=ADELPHI&cws=39&rid=2515