Rental Property Maintenance Technician
Rental Property Maintenance Technician
Located in the historic community of Walla Walla, Whitman's beautiful tree-lined campus is home to an intellectually dynamic, diverse, and supportive community of some 500 staff and faculty and 1,500 students. With an endowment exceeding $500 million, fiercely loyal alumni, exceptional students, and accomplished faculty and staff, Whitman College continues to build on its national reputation for academic excellence ranking as one of the top liberal arts colleges in the country.
The Rental Property Maintenance Technician is responsible for maintenance and general upkeep of Whitman College owned rental properties. This individual must be a responsible, self-directed person who has the ability to assess property (building and grounds) issues and either take action and/or make recommendations to the Director of Facilities or designee. This technician will also regularly consult with the Associate Controller, including frequent check-ins with the Trust Coordinator on renter service needs. The object is to restore and maintain the structural, mechanical and aesthetic integrity of all college owned rental properties, while ensuring a safe living environment. Evening and weekend work may be required.
- Complete daily minor maintenance of all residences and designated apartment buildings and selected commercial buildings owned by Whitman College.
- Show rentals to prospective tenants in coordination with the Trust Coordinator.
- Conduct rental property check and check out of tenants in coordination with the Trust Coordinator.
- Manage and coordinate interior and exterior maintenance and repair projects for trust properties.
- Perform scheduled preventative maintenance such as (a) service furnaces and boilers, (b) clean gutters (c) clean roofs and (d) winterize.
- Perform routine checks of houses as needed and during school breaks.
- Assist in development of summer maintenance projects and lead
summer maintenance crews. Summer maintenance work will in part
- General cleaning
- Refinish all floors as necessary (hardwood, carpeting, etc.)
- Conduct annual building maintenance survey for 5-yr planning purposes.
- Perform assessment on maintenance and care needs of property landscapes.
- Understand general irrigation system principals.
- Safely operate landscape and grounds equipment as required.
- Utilize Facility Services work order system and computers (e.g. email, creating reports).
- Work within the safety regulations for federal, state, and Whitman College. Actively participate in the accident prevention program, including attending safety training program.
- Observe safety precautions and procedures at all times, being alert for unsafe conditions and correcting the conditions accordingly.
- Supervise seasonal Rental Property Assistant.
- Complete other duties as assigned (e.g. vacancy coverage, inclement weather, moving, furniture set-up).
- Serve as essential personnel, meaning duties are essential to the operations of the College and requires that the position report to campus for work even during full or partial closures, emergencies, inclement weather, etc.
- Provide after hours and weekend on-call coverage at least 4 times annually.
- Adhere to College policies and guidelines.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Individuals must be able to explain and/or demonstrate that they possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities to safely perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to work closely and collaboratively with faculty, students and staff.
- Ability to orally communicate effectively with contractors and others.
- Ability to operate all custodial equipment, including, vacuums, buffers, waxers, shampooers etc.
- Ability to use power tools as required for maintaining properties.
- Ability to move supplies and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to climb up and down stairs and meet normal physical requirements for performing maintenance/custodial duties.
- Ability to use computers for emails, creating reports, work on spreadsheets etc.
- Ability to positively and actively contribute to the College's core values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Ability to use good judgment and have an eye for detail.
- Ability to be reliable and capable of working independently on the assigned shift.
- Ability to maintain knowledge of the Landlord-Tenant Act.
- Four years of related work (or equivalent) experience.
- Must pass a motor vehicle report.
- Must pass an employment physical.
- Must have a valid driver's license and be capable of operating College vehicles including tractor, trucks and boom trucks.
- Trade school training.
- Past experience in standard facility/residential maintenance practices and procedures in an organization with extended hours of operations and multiple high-traffic rental properties.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL REQUIRMENTS
Work environment is primarily inside Whitman rental facilities and sometimes outside landscape, both of which may include working in high places. This position may be exposed to dirt, dust and equipment solutions. Work may require periodic use of personal protective equipment (e.g. respirators, arc fault). Physical skill and sustained physical effort may be required for some of the maintenance responsibilities. Job requires moderate strength and agility and typically requires balancing, bending, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping and repetitive motions. Lifting and carrying materials weighing up to 50 pounds occurs with varied frequency.
Priority consideration will be given to applications received by April 19. The position will remain open until filled.
May 24, 2021
For full application instructions and position description, visit https://whitman.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=58