Supervisor, Custodial Services
Antelope Valley College
Supervisor, Custodial Services
Hours: (10:00pm to 6:30am)
Salary: $5,130.01 Monthly
Deadline: 4/14/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Complete job description and application available online at: http://126.96.36.199/counter.php?id=196738
Under the direction of the Manager, of Maintenance & Operations plan, organize, coordinate, inspect, supervise and evaluate the work performance of custodial staff, substitutes and student workers; direct and participate in the cleaning maintenance of College facilities. Performs other related responsibilities as may be assigned.
(E = indicates essential duties of the position)
• Plans, organizes, coordinates, inspects and supervises the work of the custodial staff, substitutes and student workers. (E)
• Assigns regular work schedules to assure the cleanliness and safe conditions of buildings; inspects the cleanliness of the classrooms, offices, gym, locker rooms, cafeteria, rest rooms and showers. (E)
• Assures adequate staffing levels to provide proper custodial coverage; receive calls from custodial staff unable to work and obtain substitutes or adjust workloads as necessary. (E)
• Plans, researches, requests bids and determines best source for custodial equipment and supplies; prepares requisitions and places orders for needed supplies; receives, stores, maintains stock control and delivery of custodial supplies and equipment to Custodians. (E)
• Establishes and maintains custodial safety practices and assures compliance; evaluates products and equipment for safety; conducts periodic safety training and maintain required Material Safety Data Sheets. (E)
• Trains and instructs Custodians and students workers; conducts training programs; assists in the selection of assigned staff; supervises and evaluates assigned custodial staff. (E)
• Prepares and maintains records such as custodial supplies inventory, work requests, personnel, equipment and facilities; controls department budget according to established policies and procedures. (E)
• Maintains and repairs custodial equipment. (E)
• Inspects classrooms and offices for security and safety; determines and reports dangerous and unsightly conditions and needed repairs to maintenance personnel; performs minor repair to custodial equipment; locks and unlocks gates.
• Respond to emergency calls and provide telephone consultation on weekends or other off-duty hours as necessary.
• Cleans and disposes of hazardous or infectious materials including chemical solutions, ceramic dust, hypodermic needles, infectious waste, broken test tubes and petri dishes. (E)
• Directs and participates in major cleaning of the College during the summer months and holiday breaks and participate in other custodial activities as needed. (E)
• Operates District vehicles, electric carts, forklift, floor machines, vacuums, carpet extractors, floor dryers and electric hoist. (E)
• Hands out keys and locks up keys and radios; check phone and email messages.
• Picks up trash in a variety of areas and cleans parking lots.
• Strips floors, shampoos carpets.
• Cleans classrooms, hallways, and restrooms in assigned areas.
• Prepares time sheets for student workers.
• Repairs equipment.
• Empties, stocks, and records monies from washroom tampon and condom dispensers. (E)
• Performs other related responsibilities as may be assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination equivalent to: graduation from high school and three years increasingly responsible custodial experience.
• Principles and practices of supervision and training.
• District organization, operations, policies and objectives.
• Policies and objectives of assigned program and activities.
• Methods of organizing and scheduling and prioritizing work loads.
• Proper methods, techniques, materials, tools and equipment used in modern custodial work.
• Requirements for maintaining District buildings in a safe, clean and orderly condition.
• Methods, equipment, tools and materials used in cleaning buildings and equipment.
• Proper methods of storing equipment, materials and supplies.
• Appropriate safety precautions and procedures.
• Chemical cleaners and their safe use.
• Proper methods of cleaning and disposing of hazardous chemical or infectious wastes. Inventory methods.
• Record-keeping techniques.
• Budget control methods.
• Plan, organize, coordinate, inspect and supervise the work of custodial staff and student workers.
• Train, supervise and evaluate personnel.
• Prioritize and schedule work.
• Maintain current knowledge of technological advances in the field.
• Use cleaning materials, equipment and methods safely, efficiently and according to pre-determined standards.
• Evaluate the effectiveness of various supplies and equipment.
• Estimate and order required custodial supplies and equipment.
• Estimate time and material needs for major custodial projects.
• Maintain tools and equipment in a clean and proper working condition and provide proper security.
• Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action including emergency and late night situations.
• Operate a vehicle observing legal and defensive driving practices.
• Understand and follow oral and written directions.
• Confer with site administrators and supervisor regarding custodial needs, schedules and concerns.
• Maintain records and prepare reports.
• Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others. Meet schedules and time lines.
WORK DIRECTION, LEAD AND SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Assigns and monitors work of Lead Custodian, Custodians, and hourly and student workers. CONTACTS: Co-workers, security personnel, staff, students, student workers, and vendors.
• Heavy physical labor
• Sit for extended periods of time
• Walk to conduct inspections
• Bending at the waist, kneeling or crouching.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Exposure to cleaning chemicals and outside environment
For a complete listing and details of all open positions and how to apply, select the HR & Employment link on the AVC Web site at https://www.avc.edu/administration/hr/employment or contact the Human Resources Office at (661) 722-6311; Voice/Relay, (661) 722-6300 x. 6360, 3041 West Avenue K, Lancaster, CA 93536.