Vice President and Chief of Staff
West Virginia State University:
West Virginia State University: West Virginia State University (WVSU) is a public-land grant institution, which was founded in 1891 as a Historically Black College and University (HBCU), and has evolved into a fully accessible, diverse, and multi-generational institution serving approximately 3,500 students. The University is a community of students, staff, and faculty committed to innovative teaching and learning, research and service that offers 23 undergraduate and seven graduate degrees through its four colleges, and competes in athletics at the NCAA Division II level in five men’s sports and five women’s sports. WVSU is located in Institute, WV, a suburb of Charleston, the largest city and the capital of West Virginia. With more than 300,000 people living in the metropolitan area, it is an active, exciting and engaging community, boasting cultural and historical events, music, festivals and entertainment.
The Vice President and Chief of Staff is the principal aide and adviser to the President,
representing the President to internal and external constituencies, as required. In collaboration with other members of the President’s Executive Cabinet, the Vice President and Chief of Staff is responsible for planning, organizing, and guiding the initiatives and activities of the President as they relate to the internal operations and external relationships of the university.
- Helps to establish priorities for use of the President’s personal time and attention, and to ensure that the President is always provided with appropriate, accurate, and timely information to facilitate efficient and effective decision-making and follow-up required for implementation
- Manages the strategic agenda for the President and university, working with other executive staff members and senior administrative leadership, to develop the President’s action plans, track projects and monitors status, and ensures implementation of the Presidents directives and initiatives
- Supports the President in leading an effective senior management team, managing the team's agenda, deciding which items require priority attention, and preparing or securing materials to advance discussion by the Executive Cabinet. Initiates appropriate consultation with affected individuals and groups, for an ultimate decision by the President, and coordinates appropriate follow-up to ensure effective implementation
- Ensures that targeted research and analysis on important issues are conducted and coordinates production of briefing materials on significant issues before the President for decision
- Plays a significant role in implementing policies and procedures
- Works with the Office of the General Counsel to ensure that proposed changes in university policy or procedures are fully vetted with affected campus constituencies before being scheduled for Executive Cabinet discussion and President’s decision
- Leads and completes special projects and assignments as required, particularly those involving inter-divisional implications
- Delegates and oversees projects and responsibilities to ensure that deliverables are completed at a high standard and according to deadline
- Plans and organizes weekly Executive Cabinet meetings
- Plans and organizes the annual Executive Cabinet retreat
- Manages the flow of internal and external communication for the President’s Office
- Plays a central role in the institutional planning process to develop and implement the institutional strategic plan, aligning institutional resources to support the achievement of the goals and objectives included therein
- Ensures appropriate attention on an annual basis to preparing measures of institutional effectiveness relative to the achievement of goals and objectives of the institutional plan, and to document continuous improvement efforts implemented as a result
- Works with the Office of Institutional Research to prepare annual strategic plan performance benchmarks for review with the Board of Governors
- Serves as the President’s principal liaison with the Board of Governors (BOG) and Higher Education Policy Commission (HEPC), and other external constituencies and groups.
- Serves as principal liaison with the BOG and HEPC to ensure coordination and preparation of materials for meetings
- Prepares communications and briefing for the BOG and HEPC
- Plans campus visits for individuals or groups of members of the Board of Governors and other external constituencies
- Plans and organizes BOG meetings
- Plans and organizes BOG retreats
- Oversees effective execution of the staff functions of the President’s Office, including daily operations, office budget and finance, and staff support
- The Chief of Staff will be responsible for overall management of President's Office staff, including recruitment, division of responsibilities, training and professional development, and completion of annual performance evaluations
- Manages the President's Office budget and supports recruitment of senior administrative/executive personnel as required
- Manages the Offices of University Relations and Legislative Affairs, and undertakes various internal and external communication efforts on behalf of the President
- Works closely with the Division of University Advancement on the development and implementation of key communication strategies and messages to be conveyed by the President in documents such as speeches, the President’s newsletter, annual Convocation address, and other reports as necessary
- Manages the flow of internal and external communication for the President’s Office, including development of protocols for scheduling, correspondence, e-mail, tracking, and filing
- Coordinates drafting and preparation of speeches, presentations, and documents for use by the President on and off campus (including State of the Campus Address, President’s Annual Report, and others
- Performs other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Master's degree required and at least five years of progressive experience in higher education administration or comparable experience;
- Demonstrated understanding of the organization, administration, and management of a modern institution of higher education or an institution or business of comparable size and complexity
- Experience in building trust-based relationships with other senior administrators, faculty, staff, students, governing board members, elected officials, and community representatives (or their equivalents in other employment settings)
- Background in one or more of the following is highly desirable: strategic planning, organizational development, organizational planning, project management, or policy development/implementation
- Experience in working directly or indirectly with a governing board of an institution of higher education, business, or non-profit organization, and an understanding of the distinction between governance and administration
Experience in managing or working with administrative support staff
- Understanding of and commitment to the President’s administrative operating principles and values
- Strong collaboration and interpersonal skills in listening to alternative points of view and development of policies and problem-solving that are in the best long-term interest of the university
- Capacity for sound judgment, maturity, tact, diplomacy, discretion, ability to maintain confidences, and a strong sense of personal and professional integrity
- Intelligence, flexibility, creativity, strong attention to detail, tolerance for ambiguity, and sense of humor
- Superior skills in writing and oral communication, including editing for clarity and correctness
- Ability to convey complex ideas in a concise and comprehensible fashion under time-constrained conditions
- Ability to understand institutional history and negotiate organizational complexities to promote accomplishment of the President’s initiatives and the goals of the Institutional Strategic Plan
- Ability to understand existing and proposed University policies, particularly with respect to the details and consequences of implementation
- Ability to analyze complex institutional and interpersonal situations and to develop and assess possible alternative solutions
- Ability to understand and utilize statistical data sources and forms of analysis common in higher education
In addition to the minimum qualifications listed above.
- Doctorate and seven years of progressive experience in higher education or comparable experience preferred
The scope of the job frequently requires attendance at evening and/or weekend events, activities, meetings, and seminars.
$110,000 -$130,000 salary commensurate with experience and relocation assistance may be available
To Apply: This position will remain open until filled. However, first consideration will be given to applicants who submit a resume, cover letter, academic transcripts, and the names and email addresses or phone numbers of three professional references, etc. by April 30, 2021. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered.
Please submit application materials via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
West Virginia State University
Department of Human Resources
- O. Box 1000, 105 Cole Complex
Institute, WV 25112
West Virginia State University conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Any offer of employment is contingent upon the satisfactory completion of a background check.
West Virginia State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution. No person shall be denied admission to educational programs, activities or employment on the basis of any legally protected status, or be subjected to prohibited discrimination involving, but not limited to, such factors as race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, or protected veteran status. Upon request, reasonable accommodations will be made to provide this content into an alternate accessible format by contacting Human Resources at (304) 766- 3156 and/or email@example.com.
Apply for Vice President and Chief of Staff
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly