Artist & Scholar Residency Program
The new Artist & Scholar Residency Program at the Rudi E. Scheidt School of Music supports an established individual artist, ensemble or scholar that will aim to have a broad impact across the School of Music. During a week-long residency, our visiting artists will engage with students and faculty from multiple disciplines within the school and create a profound and unique educational experience for our community.
Proposals for the inaugural program during the 2021-22 academic year are due by Friday, April 30, 2021. The Residency Program supports total costs up to $10,000.
The Rudi E. Scheidt School of Music distinguishes itself as home to thriving contemporary and classical music programs, serves as the only doctoral granting institution in the state of Tennessee, has an enrollment of almost 500 music majors, with instruction offered by over 60 full and part-time faculty, and is fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music. The School of Music has partnered with the Memphis Symphony Orchestra in a historic collaboration to train tomorrow’s musicians and provides regular performance and internship opportunities with Opera Memphis, Memphis Chamber Music Society, and the music industry. The School is scheduled to open a brand new, state-of-the-art facility, the Scheidt Family Music Center, in spring 2022. In a city teeming with performance venues, it adds to the wonderful sound by presenting more concerts and events than any music organization in the region. The School of Music is housed in the College of Communication and Fine Arts. www.memphis.edu/music/
The University of Memphis is a comprehensive metropolitan research university located in Memphis, Tennessee, one of the most musically active communities in the Mid-South. Current enrollment is approximately 23,000 students.
Proposals can be submitted here: https://memphis.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_86MkQO5lxQ7K8f4 Proposals should be submitted through the online form and contain the following materials:
- A brief 1-2 page outline of your residency proposal.
- CV or bio of the applicant(s).
- Proposed schedule of events
- Supporting Materials: links to available files such as articles, audio recordings, videos and other supporting materials are welcome
- Budget: Please provide as detailed a budget for the proposal as possible. This includes, but is not limited to:honorarium (stipend/payment/fee), travel costs (air fare, mileage, shuttle, cab fares, etc.), lodging and meals, andother costs. TOTAL costs for the proposal may not exceed $10,000.