The Staff Counselor reports to the Director of MSU Student Counseling Services and serves in the Division of Student Affairs. The Staff Counselor is responsible for providing mental health services including individual, couple, and group counseling and for providing psycho-educational programming and workshops to the campus community. Additionally, the Staff Counselor is responsible for providing crisis intervention and consultation services for students.
Salary Grade : 14
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. To provide individual, group and couples counseling to MSU students.
2. To provide a minimum of 20 direct clinical hours to students weekly.
3. To provide rotating Counselor-on-Duty response for urgent care between 8am and 5pm.
4. To provide crisis intervention to students with appropriate referrals to campus and community resources as needed.
5. To share rotating evening and weekend emergency on-call response with other clinicians.
6. Maintain clinical case files in accordance with the highest legal, ethical and professional standards.
7. To serve as a liaison with other departments.
8. To demonstrate multicultural competency.
9. To assist in scheduling maintenance.
10. Other duties as assigned.
This position reports to the Director of Student Counseling Center in relation to mental health counseling services provided to clients.
The above essential duties are representative of major duties of positions in this position. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs. Other duties may be assigned to the above consistent with the knowledge, skills and abilities required for the job. Not all of the duties may be assigned to a position
Minimum Required Education and Experience
Education Master’s degree Clinical mental health counseling, social work or other licensed eligible mental health related field
Experience (yrs.) At least 1-2 years of experience
Masters degree from an accredited institution of higher education in clinical mental health, social work, or a related field or Ph.D. in clinical or counseling psychology, clinical mental health or a related field from an accredited institution of higher education with 1 or more years of experience within a college counseling center. Licensure as a Licensed Professional Counselor or Licensed Psychologist or eligible to be licensed within 2 years in the state of Mississippi.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Experience, knowledge and training in provision of individual, group and couple counseling.
2. Experience in provision of psycho-educational/outreach programming and workshops.
3. Experience with working with trauma related diagnoses.
4. Experience in provision of clinical services within a university counseling center preferred.
5. Ability to interact effectively and professionally with students.
6. Knowledge of and adherence to ethical standards endorsed by licensing professional organization.
7. Possess strong student orientation.
8. Motivated to function effectively with the organizational and administrative structure of a university counseling center.
9. Value involvement and participation within the Division of Student Affairs.
10. The ability to work with a diverse student population.
11. Ability to create and maintain, collegial, harmonious working relationships with others.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
No unusual physical requirements. Requires no heavy lifting, and nearly all work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility.
Frequent - Externally imposed deadlines; set and revised beyond one’s control; interruptions influence priorities; difficult to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a few days; travel or irregular hours often anticipated; meeting of deadlines and coordination of unrelated activities are key to position; involves conflict-resolution or similar interactions involving emotional issues or stress on a regular basis
Job frequently requires walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands
Job requires standing, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, and lifting up to 10 pounds
Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu and attach a cover letter and resume.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Mississippi State University
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Mississippi State University
- Counsellor Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Mississippi State University
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Mississippi State University
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Mississippi State University