STEM Laboratory Manager and Laboratory Safety Compliance Officer
STEM Laboratory Manager and Laboratory Safety Compliance Officer
Department: Dean of Science and Engineering
Location: Wellesley Hills/Framingham
MassBay fosters educational excellence and academic success to prepare students for local and global citizenship, to meet critical workforce demands of communities, and to contribute to the region’s economic development.
Massachusetts Bay Community College values diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply to join our community.
Located in Greater Boston, MassBay is a comprehensive, open-access community college, offering associate degrees and certificate programs on three campuses in Wellesley Hills, Framingham, and Ashland, Massachusetts.
The ideal candidate will join a vibrant and inclusive educational community, and have a desire and ability to work with a diverse population.
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
- Supervises part-time and full-time science laboratory staff who prepare laboratory set-ups for all science courses including courses in biotechnology, chemistry, biology, microbiology, general science, nutrition, environmental sciences, and anatomy & physiology;
- Provides hands-on assistance to set up laboratory experiments for STEM faculty when needed. This work includes, but is not limited to, preparing solutions, reagents, buffers, media, caring for live specimens, and maintaining cultures for the microbiology courses;
- Maintains a current inventory of science laboratory equipment, supplies, and reagents;
- Assesses science laboratory needs for materials, supplies, and equipment routinely;
- Initiates orders for materials, supplies, and equipment in collaboration with the Senior Laboratory Technician, division administrative staff, and the department chair(s);
- Receives on orders, supplies, and equipment for all STEM laboratories and updates records;
- Maintains and updates SDS records for all STEM laboratories;
- Arranges transportation of items to and from labs on both campuses as needed and following appropriate safety protocols;
- Ensures proper care, storage, organization and maintenance of laboratory supplies, materials, equipment and of plants, and other live materials as needed;
- Performs routine administrative tasks associated with the science lab activities;
- Ensures compliance with applicable local, state, and federal regulations pertaining to lab safety, use, storage, and disposal of hazardous materials;
- Responds to any spills, exposures or incidents;
- Assumes responsibility for trainings of lab personnel, inspections and signage of labs, and works with PIs and researchers on planning for the safety and compliance of all current and proposed research;
- Develops, conducts or coordinates laboratory safety and hazardous waste management training workshops for STEM faculty and staff;
- Maintains written records of safety training for all science faculty and lab staff;
- Performs weekly inspections of satellite waste containers and main accumulation area(s);
- Coordinates pick up of hazardous waste materials from all science laboratories;
- Assists the College’s Facilities department to manage, dispose and transport biological and chemically hazardous waste according to applicable local, state and federal regulations;
- Performs routine laboratory inspections and ensures compliance of laboratory safety;
- Assumes responsibility for the division’s compliance with all applicable regulations for storage, labeling, handling and disposal of chemicals;
- Makes recommendations about laboratory safety needs and report safety concerns to the Division Dean or their designee in a timely manner;
- Serves as the emergency contact person for all STEM labs;
- Engages in departmental systems and policy review with a critical lens toward safety, equity, accessibility, inclusion, and universal design;
- Other related duties as assigned.
This list is not to be considered all-inclusive. A supervisor may assign other duties as required to meet the needs and foster the mission of the College.
All employees of MassBay are expected to work collegially and collaboratively within a community that values and celebrates diversity.
- Sensitivity and commitment to the goals of Affirmative Action
and workforce diversity;
- Experience working in a diverse environment;
- Demonstrated commitment to working with underserved
- Bachelor's degree in Biology, Environmental Health and Safety,
Biotechnology, Chemistry, Microbiology, or a closely related
- Understanding of applicable laboratory safety and environmental
- Experience conducting inspections, interpreting, and applying
technical regulations & standards in a science
- Knowledge of common laboratory equipment and
- Must possess and maintain a valid Driver's License;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- High level of comfort using databases, spreadsheets, and electronic communication platforms.
- Work experience with an established environmental health and
safety program with direct responsibility for safety in a
- Work experience in a Biosafety Level 2 or 3
- Advanced degree in a scientific field.
- Ability to work independently with demonstrated commitment to
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Some experience as a supervisor and/or a trainer in a science
- Experience working in a diverse environment with multiple
- Experience working in higher education.
- Demonstrated commitment to working with underserved students.
Salary Range: $55,000.00 - 63,000.00 Annual Salary
Classification Type: Regular Employee
Application Deadline: April 15, 2021, or thereafter until filled.
Hiring is subject to state appropriation funding.
Final candidates are required to provide sealed transcripts and/or certifications.
Hiring is contingent upon a successful CORI clearance.
Massachusetts Bay Community College is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, age, veteran or military status, genetic information, gender identity, or sexual orientation in its programs and activities as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and college policies. The College prohibits sexual harassment, including sexual violence. Inquiries or complaints concerning discrimination, harassment, retaliation, or sexual violence shall be referred to the College’s for Affirmative Action and/or Title IX Coordinator, Lisa MacDonald, Director of Equity Compliance, firstname.lastname@example.org, (781) 239-3147, the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination, the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission or the United States Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Wellesley
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Wellesley
- Biology & Life Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Wellesley
- Chemistry & Biochemistry Not specified Full Time jobs in Wellesley
- Other Science & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Wellesley