Assistant Athletic Director of Business Operations
Assistant Athletic Director of Business Operations
Athletics - 25900
Primary Purpose of Organizational Unit
The UNCW Department of Athletics sponsors 19 varsity sports and competes in the NCAA Division I as a member of the Colonial Athletic Association. UNCW Athletics mission is to enrich the University through a commitment to developing leadership qualities among its student-athletes by providing opportunities which support and promote academic excellence, community engagement and competitive success.
Chancellor - 25000 College
The University of North Carolina Wilmington, the state’s coastal university, is dedicated to the integration of teaching, mentoring, research and service. Widely acknowledged for its world-class faculty and staff and continuously recognized at a national level for scholarly excellence and affordability, UNCW offers a powerful academic experience that stimulates creative inquiry and critical thinking and a community rich in diversity, inclusion and global perspectives.
A public institution with nearly 18,000 students, UNCW offers a full range of baccalaureate- and graduate-level programs, as well as doctoral degrees in educational leadership, marine biology, nursing practice and psychology; and many distance learning options, including clinical research, an accelerated RN-to- BSN program, an Executive M.B.A. program structured for working professionals, and the nation’s only bachelor’s degree program focused on coastal engineering.
The university’s efforts to advance research and scholarly activities have earned UNCW the elevated designation of “Doctoral Universities: High Research Activity” institution (R2 University) by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.
UNCW has been part of the University of North Carolina System since 1969.
Location of Workplace
Main UNCW Campus
Brief Summary of Work for this Position
This position provides leadership and oversight over the diverse business practices of the Division 1 Athletics’ teams, Athletics’ administrative departments, and the Student Aid Association. This position independently administers and manages the business functions for the Department of Athletics by applying a comprehensive knowledge of accounting, budgeting, and business practices that are appropriate for a multifaceted, complex organization as a part of a Public Institution. Innovation and accuracy are essential to this leadership position.
• Provides direct oversight of administrative processes, including finance, personnel actions, student services, procurement, and travel.
• Under the direction of the Senior Associate AD of Internal Operations, will establish, educate, and maintain internal policies and guidelines, interprets, communicates, and ensures policies are followed. Serves as the lead administrative liaison with campus administrative offices such as accounting, budgeting, purchasing, & human resources.
• Monitors all department budgets for 50+ Athletics and Student Aid Association funds with a broad range of business activities including fundraising, specialized revenue sources, and expenditures. Authorizes budget revisions or takes other steps to ensure fiscal accuracy. Performs or oversees account reconciliations, maintenance and reporting of financial data, financial projections, cash/receipts management, and personnel actions.
• Oversees the development of position descriptions, job postings, and monitoring of active postings for progress by the hiring manager. Ensures accurate completion of HR forms for new hires and personnel changes for financial purposes and that hiring officials/department heads comply with recruiting and hiring policies. Supervises the business office staff and indirectly supervises the basketball program administrative staff for all business-related activities.
• Complete the Department of Education Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act ( EADA ) annual report and NCAA membership financial reports. Manage NCAA Agreed Upon Procedures review/audit.
• Liaison with all campus partners.
• The responsibilities of this position requires specialization and knowledge in multiple software programs in all areas of administration and business components.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree in business administration, public administration, or related business area and two years of administrative management or business management experience or equivalent combination of training and experience
• All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions
Preferred education, professional skills and experience
• Demonstrated experience with analyzing information, problems, identifying solutions, and independent action on the solution
• Skill in providing budgeting, planning recommendations and modeling based on established goals and constraints
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to translate/ communicate complex financial analysis and recommendations in a concise manner
• Experience in managing, organizing, and prioritizing a wide variety of tasks to meet deadlines
• Proven ability in establishing and maintaining effective, professional relationships with all levels of university administration, faculty, and staff
• Experience with producing financial reports and analysis in a university environment
• Previous management/leadership experience
• Considerable knowledge of university software systems – Banner, PeopleAdmin, Chrome River, uShop, etc.
• Two years experience in athletics business operations
Required Certifications or licensure
$55,000 - $66,449
1.0 (40 hours per week)
Months Per Year
Monday - Friday
8:00AM - 5:00PM
Type of Position
Anticipated Ending Date if Time-Limited
Job Posting Date
Posting Close Date
Special Notes to Applicants
PLEASE NOTE : This posting will close at 11:59PM on the posted closing date. To receive full consideration, please be sure you have fully completed the entire application before you apply for this position. Failure to answer all required questions will cause the system to disqualify your application.
For more info/to apply visit http://jobs.uncw.edu. Applications must be submitted through the online application system to be considered.
You will be required to attach a cover letter and resume to successfully apply for this position. To receive full consideration, please be sure you have completed the ‘Work History’ section of the application before you apply for this position.
This position is being recruited at the Journey level. If no applicants apply who meet the required competency and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.
At the University of North Carolina at Wilmington ( UNCW ), our culture reflects our values of inclusion, diversity, globalization, ethics and integrity and innovation and we are committed to providing equality of educational and employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, sex (such as gender, gender identity, marital status, childbirth, and pregnancy), age, color, national origin (including ethnicity), religion, disability, sexual orientation, political affiliation, veteran status, military service member status, genetic information, or relationship to other university constituents – except where sex, age, or ability represent bona fide educational or occupational qualifications or where marital status is a statutorily established eligibility criterion for State funded employee benefit programs. UNCW believes that embracing the unique contributions of our faculty, staff and students is critical to our success and paramount in being recognized for our global mindset.
Eligibility for Employment
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. UNC Wilmington participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
External Link to Posting
- Cover Letter
- List of 3 Professional References
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity with UNC Wilmington
- UNCW Website
- UNCW Facebook Page
- UNCW Linkedin Page
- UNCW Twitter Account
- UNCW Employee Referral
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Diverse Issues in Higher Education
- Higher Ed Jobs
- Hispanic Outlook
- Inside Higher Ed
- North Carolina Job Network
- Women In Higher Education
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Business Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington