Network Administrator I
Network Administrator I
The Network Administrator I will maintain a reliable, secure and efficient data communications network. Deploy, configure, maintain and monitor all active network equipment in order to ensure a fast and efficient network.
Essential Job Functions of Position
• Establishes network specifications by conferring with users; analyzing workflow, access, information, and security requirements; designing router administration, including interface configuration and routing protocols. Fully support, configure, maintain and upgrade Washburn’s networks and in-house servers.
• Establishes network by evaluating network performance issues including availability, utilization, throughput, goodput, and latency; planning and executing the selection, installation, configuration, and testing of equipment; defining network policies and procedures; establishing connections and firewalls.
• Maintains network performance by performing network monitoring and analysis, and performance tuning; troubleshooting network problems; escalating problems to vendor.
• Secures network by developing network access, monitoring, control, and evaluation; maintaining documentation.
• Prepares users by designing and conducting training programs; providing references and support.
• Upgrades network by conferring with vendors; developing, testing, evaluating, and installing enhancements.
• Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
• Protects organization’s value by keeping information confidential.
• Accomplishes organization goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
• Backups network configuration data and initiates automatic backup routines for all equipment to capture and save network data.
• Participates in weekly on-call rotation with other members of ITS staff to ensure the continued operation of Washburn.
• Performs additional job related duties as assigned or appropriate.
Non-Essential Job Functions of Position
Education and Experience
Associate’s degree in CS or CIS or a combination of education, certifications and relevant experience equivalent to a degree.
Preferred: Bachelor’s degree in computer science or IT related field with advanced certification in networking/security.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Preferred: Knowledge of network technologies such as wireless network management (e.g. Ruckus Wireless), site surveys, advanced firewalls (e.g. PaloAlto), enterprise grade switches, VLANs, inter- VLAN routing, OSPF, VPNs, Windows, Linux and/or Unix administration, fiber optic operation, multicast, QoS and IPV6. Demonstrated ability to work well as part of a diverse technical team.
Licenses, Certifications & Registrations
Must obtain CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate) certification within six (6) months of employment.
Additional Requirements (e.g. Physical Demands)
Ability to move equipment weighing as much as 100 pounds on a daily basis.
Campus Security Authority
Special Instructions to Applicant
Regular Business Hours
Average Hours per Week
Months per Year
Washburn is dedicated to providing a student-centered and teaching focused academic environment and a curriculum that engages the diversity of human experience across the globe. We seek candidates who are committed to Washburn’s efforts to create a climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically underrepresented in higher education. Application materials should clearly articulate how the candidate will contribute to the University’s commitment to diversity and inclusion through their teaching, research, and/or service.
Washburn University is an EOE . Washburn University provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status, or marital or parental status.
Background Check Required?
Driving History Checked?
Drug Screen Required?
Anticipated Start Date
Position End Date (if temporary)
For earliest consideration apply by
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled?
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have the required Associate degree or the preferred
- Yes - Associate degree
- Yes - Bachelor degree
- No - No degree
- * Do you have prior experience in network administration?
- * Do you have a Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
- Cover Letter