Employees hired into Administrative and Professional positions posted on or after July 1, 2017, will be governed by and, if employed on July 1, 2018 will move into the new University Human Resources System. For additional information, go to http://greatplace.vcu.edu.
Position Number F67510 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? No Position Type Teaching and Research Faculty Rank Open Working Title Instructor/Assistant/Associate/Full Professor School/Unit College of Health Professions Department Clinical Lab Sciences Number of Months 12 Tenure Status Open Grant funded position? No
Mission or Goal of Unit
As a preeminent national, urban, public research university and academic health center, Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to organizational diversity, equity, and inclusion – an environment where all can thrive in their pursuit of excellence.
The Department of Medical Laboratory Sciences supports the philosophy and mission of the University and the College of Health Professions. The mission of the undergraduate program is to serve the health care needs of the community by providing highly competent and professional medical laboratory scientists who will be able to function effectively upon entrance into the field and be prepared to explore future scientific and technological advances in laboratory science.
The Department provides the student with superior studies in clinical laboratory science, including both theoretical and applied clinical education and fosters fair and equitable educational experiences for students of all ages and diverse backgrounds. Strong affiliations with clinical educators and the integration of innovative technology in the academic setting facilitate both the education and research goals of the Department.
Chief purpose of this position in support of above mission or goal
The Department of Medical Laboratory Sciences is seeking a colleague to contribute to the teaching workload of the department, lead and collaborate in research and scholarship, and participate in service to the Department, University, and the profession of Medical Laboratory Sciences. Depending upon qualifications and department need at the time of hire, this position is eligible for a 10-month or 12-month appointment. Incoming rank will be determined based on credentials and experience.
Teach in one or more of the areas of clinical chemistry, hematology/body fluid analysis, immunology, immunohematology, and/or microbiology to include didactic and laboratory sessions at undergraduate and graduate levels, appropriate to individual expertise. Teaching responsibilities also include mentoring undergraduate and graduate students, directing graduate students’ research in area of expertise, providing online courses, developing and maintaining course materials and working relationships for clinical practicums at all clinical affiliates.
Participate in scholarly activities/research such as publications, grants, and the development of innovative teaching materials. For faculty positions at the Assistant Professor level, the faculty member will be required to have an established research agenda in a scientific discipline, curriculum design, or community engaged scholarship, and a clear potential for external funding, and potential for scholarship or creative expression to complement and expand existing expertise in the department. For positions at the Associate/Professor level, the faculty member will be required to have a well-developed scholarly/research portfolio with evidence of multi-disciplinary applications and external funding appropriate to complement and expand existing expertise in the department.
Assist in student recruiting/interviewing. Assist in departmental activities to include: admissions, curriculum evaluation and development, program accreditation activities and external promotion of the department and the profession. Serve on departmental/school/university committees. Collaborate with other VCU departments as appropriate. Participate in professional activities.
4. Participate in professional development designed to expand knowledge and skills and maintain competency in clinical laboratory science.
5. Assume other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
• Master’s degree in medical laboratory science or related discipline
• Current US national certification in medical laboratory science, or an established research agenda in an area related to the MLS profession
• College or clinical teaching experience
• Excellent interpersonal and written/oral communication skills
• Experience or high potential for effectively and inclusively educating and mentoring students from under-represented minority and/or historically marginalized communities
• Junior faculty members will be required to have an established research agenda and a clear potential for external funding, and potential for scholarship or creative expression to complement and expand existing expertise in the Department
• Senior faculty members will be required to have a well-developed scholarly/research portfolio with evidence of multi-disciplinary applications and external funding appropriate to complement and expand existing expertise in the Department
• Demonstrated experience or high potential for working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU
• Doctoral degree in a health-related science, discipline of medical laboratory sciences, or higher education
• Current US national certification as a generalist Medical Laboratory Scientist
• Experience teaching, advising, and mentoring undergraduate and/or graduate MLS students
• Record of scholarly productivity and external funding
• Clinical experience
• Experience in instructional design and online instruction
Date Posted 03/31/2021 Open Until Filled Yes Application Deadline Date 04/30/2021 Proposed Hire Date 07/01/2021 Type of Search National Application Process/Additional Information
Candidates who apply by the priority deadline of April 30, 2021 will be considered first.
If interested, please submit a curriculum vitae, cover letter, diversity statement, and (under the “other documents” section) the names and contact information of three professional references via VCU eJobs at www.vcujobs.com.
Questions may be directed to Dr. William Korzun, Search Committee Chair, at email@example.com.
References will automatically be contacted when applicants are scheduled for an on-site interview.
As a preeminent national, urban, public research university and academic health center, Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to organizational diversity, equity and inclusion – an environment where all can thrive in their pursuit of excellence.
Applicants are requested to submit a Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (typically between 150-300 words) providing your career aspirations and contributions toward promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Through this statement, you can share how your lived experiences; and past, present, and future academic and professional activities have or will contribute to VCU’s mission of promoting equity and inclusion.
Note: Examples include working with others to further the goals of equity and inclusion; leading in any capacity that tangibly promotes an environment where diversity is welcomed, fostered, and celebrated; creative activity, research and scholarship that promotes equity and parity; teaching and mentoring students, and/or engaging with faculty and/or staff from traditionally underrepresented groups to create a positive and successful organizational experience.
Posted Salary Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/104647 Diversity Statement Information For more information on diversity statements, including guidelines, please click here . Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Diversity Statement (Required for all Faculty)