Research Engineer III, Robotics
Research Engineer III, Robotics & Automation
Founded in 1898, Northeastern is a global research university and the recognized leader in experience-driven lifelong learning. Our world-renowned experiential approach empowers our students, faculty, alumni, and partners to create impact far beyond the confines of discipline, degree, and campus.
Our locations—in Boston; Charlotte, North Carolina; London; Portland, Maine; San Francisco; Seattle; Silicon Valley; Toronto; Vancouver; and the Massachusetts communities of Burlington and Nahant—are nodes in our growing global university system. Through this network, we expand opportunities for flexible, student-centered learning and collaborative, solutions-focused research.
Northeastern's comprehensive array of undergraduate and graduate programs— in a variety of on-campus and online formats—lead to degrees through the doctorate in nine colleges and schools. Among these, we offer more than 195 multi-discipline majors and degrees designed to prepare students for purposeful lives and careers.
About the Opportunity:
Northeastern University's Kostas Research Institute (KRI) focuses on research and applications to national security challenges. Our program in robotic autonomy, decision-making and human-device teaming focuses on force readiness and force protection to drive technology and prototype development in a variety of government-backed initiatives. We are seeking a talented and motivated Robotics Engineer to join our growing team and collaborate with a cross-disciplinary team of engineers, PhDs, and Professors. As a member of our technical staff, you'll be working to jointly prepare a program vision, develop proposals and project concepts, and deliver prototype systems for meaningful field testing.
In this role, you will be working University-owned Research Institute with a team that is focused on
- Robotic/autonomous navigation, human interaction, and perception for (primarily) defense and security applications
- Developing, creating, or deploying navigation or perception software onto the robotic systems which may be commercially available or custom built.
- Integrating AI/ML technology to improve autonomous control and decision making as well as human-device cooperation.
Your primary focus will be to expand the autonomous perception, localization, and mapping capabilities of these robotic systems. You will be working in a collaborative environment to develop technology and prototype systems, identify next-step goals and development opportunities, coordinate multi-participant grant-funded programs, and coordinate/oversee the smooth delivery of deliverables vs program goals and milestones. This position is based in the Arlington, VA office.
- Expand the autonomous perception, localization, and mapping capabilities of these robotic systems
- Develop or implement AI/ML algorithms to improve autonomous decision-making and human-teaming in prototype systems
- Working in a collaborative environment, coordinate multi-participant grant-funded programs, and coordinate/oversee the smooth delivery of deliverables against program goals and milestones
- Participate in small and tactical development teams using agile development principles, sprint planning, and standups etc.
- Participate in customer meetings to present and discuss technical plans and milestones
- MS or PhD degree, or equivalent experience in Robotics and/or Autonomous Engineering (or related discipline)
- Eligible for National Security Clearance, current clearance preferred
- 5+ years research experience
- Ability to communicate complex robotics, robotics autonomy, device-driven decision making, and human-device interaction concepts and results in an understandable manner
- Ability to interface between university faculty to build and coordinate collaboration on multi-year development initiatives
- Excellent comprehension of robotic control and decision-making systems
- Demonstrable example(s) of designed and developed autonomous robotic systems
- Dedication to continuous integration and testing
- Excellent communication skills
Current national security clearance
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.
To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/879/cw/en-us/job/505979