Full-Time Faculty, Economics Instructor Tenure-Track
Whatcom Community College invites applications for a
full-time, tenure-track Economics instructor beginning Fall Quarter
2021. The College is seeking a dynamic individual interested
in developing and engaging students through the use and
implementation of innovative and inclusive curriculum and teaching
methods, including the application of technology, both inside and
outside the classroom. The College seeks faculty who have the
ability to work effectively and collaboratively with students,
colleagues, staff, and others in a campus climate that promotes
cultural diversity and global understanding. College faculty
teach an equivalent of 15 credits per quarter and contribute to the
College through committee service and program leadership and
As a member of the Social Sciences department, an Economics instructor prepares students for the workforce or transfer to a university. The successful applicant is expected to:
- Teach across the discipline, from introductory courses for non-majors to specialized classes for students transferring to economics and business degrees;
- Update, revise, and maintain curriculum to the highest standards in the field;
- Collaborate with college faculty and administrators in contributing to the future vision and scope of economics, business, and social sciences programs at the college;
- Remain current in the field and adapt courses to meet changing job skills, research developments, and qualification requirements;
- Successfully foster an inclusive educational environment; and
- Identify and contribute to activities that promote student development such as student clubs and/or other student volunteer activities.
Being a faculty member at Whatcom offers the opportunity to engage in the advancement of equitable student outcomes and the elimination of equity gaps. Faculty have regular opportunities for on-campus professional development, collaboration with colleagues, and engagement in workshops and learning communities. These opportunities contribute to professional advancement at the College, as well as personal growth. This position supports all four of the College’s four core themes – achieving success, building community, advancing equity, and enhancing effectiveness.
Qualifications, Salary and Appointment
- Master’s degree in economics or a closely related field, with a minimum of 30 quarter hours (18 semester hours) of graduate credit in Economics.
- Evidence of experience teaching student-centered learning with an equity minded focus at the college level.
- Experience in online teaching, including proficiency with a learning management system (preferably Canvas).
- Experience instructing a diverse population of students, incorporating pedagogies that support effective teaching methodologies for all students and informed critical feedback on assignments with the intent to remodel or create new curricular materials.
- Leadership experience.
- Experience with culturally relevant course content, culturally responsive pedagogical techniques, and effective practices for engaging students who are diverse and/or are students who are historically underserved.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and communication abilities with students and colleagues.
- An understanding of, and commitment to, the role of the community college in higher education.
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and inclusion.
- Demonstrated content knowledge in the program or discipline.
- A commitment to student centered, inclusive pedagogy.
- A commitment to WCC’s vision as “an innovative college, engaged with our diverse and changing communities”.
Salary and Appointment:
- The 2020-21 Master’s degree salary begins at $57,091 (additional degrees, experience, and state-funded and negotiated increases will increase the actual starting salary); 174 day annual contract.
- Salaries will increase for 2021-22.
- The position comes with a full benefits package, including health, dental, life, long-term disability insurance and a retirement plan.
Additionally, as a Washington State, public higher education institution, WCC offers the following:
- Whatcom Community College is a qualified employer for the PSLF program. If you work for the College full time, have had Direct Loans and are on an eligible repayment plan, you are eligible to apply.
- Full-time employees are eligible to apply and participate in the Whatcom Community College Employee Tuition Program, which provides a tuition waiver for available and eligible WCC courses.
- Fall Quarter, 2021.
Application Due Date:
- For guaranteed consideration, application packets should be received by Friday April 30th, 2021 at 5:00 pm. Position open until filled.
A completed application consists of an online application and:
- Letter of application detailing relevant experience and specifics about how the applicant is prepared to meet the duties of the position.
- Diversity statement that responds to the following question (1 page max).
*Whatcom Community College has a strategic plan core theme to advance equity. Describe ways in which you have actively engaged and demonstrated a commitment to promoting the success of diverse students or employees.
- Current resume.
- Unofficial Transcripts for all earned degrees; official transcripts required prior to the official start date.
- List of five recent professional references with contact information.
To apply please visit us at: