Testing Specialist - Part Time
Howard Community College (HCC) is an exciting place to work, learn, and grow! HCC has been awarded the distinction as a "Great College to Work for" since 2009 from The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Howard Community College values diversity among its faculty, staff and student population. We are an innovative institution that is committed to responding to the ever-changing needs and interests of a diverse and dynamic community. No matter where you want to go in your career, you can get there from here!
The Test Center at Howard Community College is seeking part time testing specialists to work with their students. This position assists the director, associate director and senior testing specialists with all aspects of exam administration including placement, academic, and professional certification, in a secure, equitable, accessible, and professional testing environment. Provides optimal and secure testing conditions for all students and clientele, including accommodation for those with disabilities while simultaneously administering national testing programs, including the placement test (ACCUPLACER), College-Level Examination Program (CLEP), Dantes Subject Standardized Test (DSST), Pearson VUE, Castle, and Iso-Quality Testing, and information technology exams through Certiport, departmental and college wide outcomes assessments and future national testing opportunities. Maintains security, confidentiality, and accuracy of exams, records, scoring procedures, and data collection.
- Utilizes camera system to ensure academic honesty and test security
- Assists students and faculty in accessing test center services, including the provision of appropriate test accommodations for students with special needs
- Provides intake services and puts students and testing candidates at ease helping reduce test anxiety
- Administers computerized placement exams and generates, verifies, distributes, and processes placement test reports
- Consults student information data system and College Board data bases to ensure appropriate placement subtest administration
- Administers academic exams to HCC students, and students attending other colleges and universities
- Provides students with appropriate testing instructions in accordance with instructor, institution, or vendor requirements
- Assists with scheduling and administering national standardized exams such as CLEP and DSST exams
- Assists the center's administrators with identifying and resolving various testing issues, such as discrepancies, complaints, and concerns related to Test Center Services, involving students, clients, faculty, and staff
- Provides written accounts of test irregularities or unusual circumstances in an objective manner according to center and college policies for review by the director before submitting.
- Records and maintains data and produces related reports
- Acquires and maintains up to date knowledge of all college policies and procedures related to testing, such as college academic honesty policies and the Student Code of Conduct
- Acquires all appropriate training and knowledge related to trends and developments relevant to responsibilities
- Maintains appropriate professional memberships
- Directs or refers students to the other Student Services units, division offices, and other college units as appropriate
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in education, counseling, psychology, or related field required; in certain circumstances consideration will be given to those with significant progress towards a bachelor's degree supplemented by five years of experience in a related field such as testing, customer service, or education.
- Excellent computer skills required, proficiency with Microsoft Office, especially Access and Excel, the Internet and Windows; prior information system experience is a benefit.
- Outstanding organizational skills, including the ability to identify and set priorities, multi-task, manage large volumes of records and files, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service is a must.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills mandatory.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills required, including the ability to interact with a diverse range of students, faculty and staff required.
- Experience with students with documented disabilities preferred.
- Ability to work independently, flexibly, and as part of a team.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Regular attendance is a requirement of this position.
Hours Per Week: 20-25 hours a week
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, with some evening and weekend hours
Compensation: $20 / hour
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Grade: Hourly/Temporary (No benefits are offered with this role)
Open Until Filled
*Pre-employment criminal background investigation is a condition of employment.
Howard Community College (HCC) is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer & values diversity within its faculty, staff & student population. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
HCC understands that persons with specific disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance with the job application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 443-518-1100.
This position will work remotely due to COVID restrictions and will work on campus in Columbia, Maryland when we return to in person learning.
The following are required documents:
- Completed Application
- Cover Letter