Teacher of Physics
Deerfield Academy seeks a dynamic and experienced Teacher of Physics to start on August 18, 2021. We’re looking for a teacher who exhibits excellence in the classroom, encourages students’ development as informed and ethical citizens of the world, and is interested in working collaboratively with colleagues. Deerfield teachers enjoy an outstanding work environment and excellent benefits, and engage with motivated students. Deerfield Academy actively seeks to increase the diversity of its faculty and develop an inclusive community. Interested candidates should be enthusiastic about living in close proximity to teenagers and working with students in and outside of the classroom.
Deerfield offers an unmatched environment for teaching. Near the Five Colleges (Amherst, Smith, Mount Holyoke, Hampshire, and UMass), Deerfield’s 300-acre campus hosts exceptional facilities that enable powerful teaching both in and out of the classroom. Our students are engaging and excited to learn—and they are willing to work hard at their studies. Outside the classroom, our community is focused on active and ethical living.
Our teachers are committed to ongoing renewal. We seek candidates who are committed to their own professional growth, who are eager to work with colleagues in a productive manner towards departmental goals, and who can foster critical thinking, empathy, and determination in our students. As a boarding school, our faculty teach, mentor, and model—in the classroom, in the dorm, at the dining hall, and on the playing field.
Diversity is essential to Deerfield’s success. Diverse perspectives within our school population fuel creative and innovative thinking, build empathy and consideration, and provide varied skills and experiences from which the entire community can benefit. Deerfield actively seeks candidates who are members of or support traditionally underrepresented groups—especially in terms of race, sexual orientation, and educational background.
ABOUT THIS POSITION:
- The primary responsibility is to teach science courses for all levels: introductory physics and ideally advanced physics and senior project-based courses.
- Other responsibilities include those that are normally part of a boarding school commitment: dormitory association, coaching sports or supervising co-curricular activities, dining hall duties, and committee work.
- Prior experience teaching physics at the high school or college level
- A master’s degree (preferred).
- Interest in and demonstrated skill working with adolescents.
- The interest, initiative, and energy to thrive in a lively and fast-paced residential academic community.
- Ability to work as part of a team, a sense of humor, and humility.
- A commitment to an inclusive community.
Deerfield Academy is a private, coeducational boarding school located in western Massachusetts with 650 students and 140 faculty. The Academy was founded in 1797 and has no religious affiliation.
Deerfield Academy is committed to a policy of Equal Opportunity Employment and nondiscrimination against any individual on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, marital status, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, age, disability, status as a veteran or being a member of the Reserves or National Guard, or any other classification protected under state or federal law.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Deerfield
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Deerfield
- Physics & Space Sciences Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Deerfield