Choral Director (Part-time)
Deerfield Academy seeks a dynamic and experienced part-time Choral Director to start on August 18, 2021. We are looking for a director who sets standards of excellence for our choral groups, cares deeply about the welfare of our students, works collaboratively with colleagues, and is deeply committed to developing an inclusive community. This is a salaried part-time position with competitive health and retirement benefits.
Deerfield offers an unmatched environment for teaching. Near the Five Colleges (Amherst, Smith, Mount Holyoke, Hampshire College, and UMass Amherst), Deerfield’s 300-acre campus hosts exceptional facilities that enable powerful teaching both in and out of the classroom. Our students are engaging and excited to learn—and they are willing to work hard at their studies. Outside the classroom, our community is focused on active and ethical living.
Our teachers are committed to ongoing renewal. We seek candidates who are genuinely committed to their own growth, who are eager to work with colleagues to review the curriculum and programs we offer, and who can foster critical thinking, empathy, and determination in our students. As a boarding school, our faculty teach, mentor, and model—in the classroom, in the dorm, at the dining hall, and on the playing field.
Diversity is essential to Deerfield’s success. Diverse perspectives within our school population fuel creative and innovative thinking, build empathy and consideration, and provide varied skills and experiences from which the entire community can benefit. Deerfield actively seeks candidates who are members of or support traditionally underrepresented groups—especially in terms of race, sexual orientation, and educational background.
ABOUT THIS POSITION:
Job Responsibilities: The primary responsibility is to oversee all aspects of the choral program: direct the choral groups, meet and correspond with admissions applicants, prepare the students to perform at special events, and collaborate with other members of the Visual and Performing Arts Department.
- A minimum of five years of experience teaching music at the high school or college level.
- A post-graduate degree in music is preferred.
- Interest and demonstrated skill working with adolescents is essential.
- The initiative and energy to thrive with a lively and fast-paced workplace, a sense of humor.
- The ability to work in a multi-cultural setting.
- The desire to live and work in a residential academic community.
Deerfield Academy is a private, coeducational boarding school located in Western Massachusetts with 650 students and 140 faculty. The Academy was founded in 1797 and has no religious affiliation.
Deerfield Academy is committed to a policy of Equal Opportunity Employment and nondiscrimination against any individual on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, marital status, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, age, disability, status as a veteran or being a member of the Reserves or National Guard, or any other classification protected under state or federal law.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Part Time jobs in Deerfield
- Arts Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Part Time jobs in Deerfield
- Music Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Part Time jobs in Deerfield
- Performing Arts Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Part Time jobs in Deerfield