Head Coach of Women's Volleyball
Colby is a member of the New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) and has 28 intercollegiate sports that compete at the Division III level, and four programs (men’s and women’s alpine and nordic skiing) that complete at the Division I level within the EISA (Eastern Intercollegiate Ski Association). The department also hosts a variety of club and intramural sports. More than one-third of Colby’s 2,000 students participate in intercollegiate sports and, in total, nearly three-quarters are involved in fitness and recreation activities in the department.
The College just completed the construction of a new, state-of-the-art athletics complex, opening this fall, which is among the best Division III facilities in the country. The 350,000 square-foot athletics center includes an indoor track and field competition center, aquatic center with Maine’s first 50-meter pool, squash center, gymnasium, hockey arena, strength and fitness center, training rooms, and coaching suites. Additionally, the College recently opened a 70-acre-plus outdoor competition center that consists of three gleaming new competition and recreational fields that are also among the finest outdoor venues in Division III. Located in central Maine, the College has incredible access to other outdoor venues such as the Belgrade Lakes and Sugarloaf Mountain Resort, one of the premier ski destinations on the east coast.
The Colby College Department of Athletics seeks a full-time head coach of women’s volleyball, beginning April 1, 2021. This is an adjunct faculty position with benefits. In the context of Colby’s commitment to comprehensive excellence, the head coach is responsible for the leadership, direction, instruction, supervision, and coaching of a division III program that can compete consistently at the top of the NESCAC and within Division III.
Highly qualified applicants have experience in recruiting and coaching athletes at the championship level. Qualified candidates also have an understanding of the rules and regulations set forth by the NESCAC Conference and NCAA. The selected candidate is responsible to build the volleyball team into a top program in NESCAC and nationally and must be able to identify and develop athletes capable of achieving the highest level of success.
In addition to hiring and supervising assistant coaches involved with the program, the head coach will also be responsible for all aspects involved in running a volleyball program including budget management, travel details and equipment needs.
Colby is looking for highly motivated leaders with experience in coaching, recruiting, talent development, program management and fundraising. It is essential this person uphold the values of the College and the department while building athletes of character who contribute in the classroom and in the community.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for the management and administration of an intercollegiate volleyball program.
- Comply with all guidelines, rules, and regulations set forth by Colby College, the New England Small College Athletic Conference, and the NCAA.
- Create a dynamic and inclusive recruiting plan. Lead the effort to recruit high-achieving student athletes from geographically and demographically diverse populations.
- Monitor academic progress of student athletes. Understand academic needs, communicate with academic liaisons, identify any issues that may occur, and provide direction and guidance when necessary.
- Hire, supervise, mentor, and evaluate assistant coaches.
- Manage program budget, travel, and equipment logistics with department administration.
- Establish strong relationships with student athletes and maintain effective lines of communication.
- Analyze performance and instruct athlete’s technique and strategy in preparation for and during athletic competition.
- Enhance ongoing engagement with internal and external entities, including Friends of Volleyball, the fundraising program for Colby Volleyball, the C Club,the alumni program for Colby Athletics, and the greater Maine community.
- Work with the peak performance team, including strength and conditioning staff, athletic trainers, sport medicine, sport performance psychology, and sports dietitian, to implement and support team training and performance programs.
- In conjunction with the Vice President and Harold Alfond Director of Athletics and Colby’s Office of Advancement, coordinate the program’s fundraising activities.
- Develop student athletes of character who are committed to fostering a campus environment of respect and inclusion.
- If necessary, a secondary responsibility within the Department of Athletics will be added depending on the qualifications of the applicant.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The head coach of women’s volleyball has significant interaction with staff, students, faculty, parents, and alumni.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
General open office and campus environment. Position involves frequent movement. Computer usage involving repetitive hand/wrist motion is also necessary. Several weeks of domestic travel and frequent evening and weekend work required throughout the year. Heavy lifting (up to 50 lbs.) may be necessary.
Materials must be submitted electronically to Interfolio at: http://apply.interfolio.com/81283 Confidential review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made.
Colby is a private, coeducational liberal arts college that admits students and makes employment decisions on the basis of the individual's qualifications to contribute to Colby's educational objectives and institutional needs. Colby College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, religion, ancestry or national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, or veteran’s status in employment or in our educational programs. Colby is an Equal Opportunity employer, committed to excellence through diversity, and encourages applications from qualified persons of color, women, persons with disabilities, military veterans and members of other under-represented groups. Colby complies with Title IX, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in an institution’s education programs and activities. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to Colby’s Title IX coordinator or to the federal Office of Civil Rights. For more information about the College, please visit our website: www.colby.edu
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Benton
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Benton
- Kinesiology, Exercise Physiology & Physical Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Benton
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Benton
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Benton