Employees hired into Administrative and Professional positions posted on or after July 1, 2017, will be governed by and, if employed on July 1, 2018 will move into the new University Human Resources System. For additional information, go to http://greatplace.vcu.edu.
Position Number F67530 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? No Position Type Teaching and Research Faculty Rank Instructor Working Title Instructor School/Unit College of Engineering Department Chemical & Life Science Engineering Number of Months 12 Tenure Status Non-Tenure Eligible Grant funded position? No
Mission or Goal of Unit
To value discovery and creativity of our entire engineering community; students, faculty and staff; to value diversity of ideas of our engineering community; students, faculty and staff; to value personalized attention in teaching, learning, and service to our students, our industrial partners and collaborators, and colleagues throughout the university and business communities; and to value the significant and positive impact of our people and ideas in the promotion of regional and global prosperity involving research in chemical and life science engineering. In addition, all goals and objectives of the CLSE Department complement the mission of the College of Engineering and University.
Chief purpose of this position in support of above mission or goal
The Department of Chemical and Life Science Engineering ( CLSE ) has an exciting opportunity for a non-tenured, term instructor faculty position. This position will provide high quality instruction in Chemical and Life Science Engineering undergraduate laboratory courses. In addition, this position will provide functional oversight for laboratories primarily used for undergraduate instruction to include the following: maintenance and housekeeping of laboratory; development of lab procedures and processes; development of new experiments; instruction in lab procedures and safety; compliance with VCU’s Environmental Health and Safety requirements; purchasing supplies and equipment; equipment and instrumentation maintenance.
Teaching: The faculty member is expected to support high quality experiential learning in Chemical and Life Science Engineering undergraduate laboratory courses. The faculty member will develop new content and experiments for existing CLSE laboratory courses as necessary based on department needs and the background of the candidate. Specifics include:
• Oversee laboratory facilities in safe, clean, and organized manner.
• Develop and implement laboratory policy and procedures.
• Support laboratory users as necessary.
• Oversee purchasing of supplies, equipment, repair and service contracts. Maintain related records.
• Support calibration and maintenance of laboratory assets, utilizing instrument and equipment vendors as appropriate.
Service: The faculty member will be expected to provide high quality service to the department, college, university and professional community. In addition, the faculty member will serve on Departmental, College, and/or University committees as necessary, specifically serving as the CLSE representative on the College of Engineering Safety Committee. The faculty member will perform other duties as assigned by the CLSE Department.
Grant Assistance (as related to undergraduate program development)
• Assist with document preparation.
• Develop economic models to quantify cost improvements from laboratory studies.
• Provide project management tracking documents.
Manage the acquisition and installation of equipment and instrumentation, both purchased and donated. Manage end of service disposition, working with CLSE, College of Engineering and Fixed Asset staff personnel.
• Demonstrated ability to teach undergraduate chemical engineering courses.
• Experience in teaching unit operations, process control, and hazards and operability studies in a laboratory environment or the equivalent in industrial practice.
• Experience in managing instructional, research, pilot scale, or plant scale equipment and facilities.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Proficiency in and experience with teaching specialized engineering / scientific software for: Chemical Process Simulation (eg. Aspen, Chemstation or SuperPro); Design of Experiments / Statistical Analysis (eg. JMP or Minitab); Project Management (eg. MSProject).
• The College of Engineering supports a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment. The candidate will demonstrate experience that shows their commitment to fostering such an environment.
• Ph.D or M.S. plus significant experience is required, or equivalent work experience that equates to a master’s degree.
• Relevant industrial experience is highly desired, particularly in chemical process safety.
• Experience supervising / advising industrially sponsored design projects.
• Excellent analytical, planning and organizational skills.
• Proven ability to manage projects and multiple assignments with attention to detail and deadlines.
Date Posted 03/30/2021 Open Until Filled Yes Application Deadline Date Proposed Hire Date 07/01/2021 Type of Search National Application Process/Additional Information
As a preeminent national, urban, public research university and academic health center, Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to organizational diversity, equity and inclusion – an environment where all can thrive in their pursuit of excellence.
Applicants are requested to submit a Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (typically between 150-300 words) providing your career aspirations and contributions toward promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Through this statement, you can share how your lived experiences, and academic and professional activities will impact your contribute to VCU’s mission of promoting equity and inclusion.
Note: Examples include working with others to further the goals of equity and inclusion; leading in any capacity that tangibly promotes an environment where diversity is welcomed, fostered, and celebrated; creative activity, research and scholarship that promotes equity and parity; teaching and mentoring students, and/or engaging with faculty and/or staff from traditionally underrepresented groups to create a positive and successful organizational experience.
In addition, candidates should upload their application at www.vcujobs.com position F67530 in a single PDF file in the “other document” section that includes, in this order: a cover letter, curriculum vitae, teaching statement, and the names and email addresses of three references. Reference letters will be requested by the search committee only for the short-listed candidates. The intention is for the position to start over the summer, and begin teaching in August 2021. For additional information, please contact the Chair of the search committee, Professor James Ferri, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted Salary Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/104687 Diversity Statement Information For more information on diversity statements, including guidelines, please click here . Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Other Document
- Diversity Statement (Required for all Faculty)