Assistant Professor of Instructional Design
Assistant Professor of Instructional Design
Position Number: F00233P
Position Type: Faculty
Position Category: Fulltime Faculty
Driver Classification: Non Driver
Division: Academic Affairs/Provost
Department: College of Letters, Arts & Soc Sci
Unit: Art and Design
Contact Person: Ida Kumoji- Ankrah
Funding Source: Institutional
About the College/Department:
Eastern Kentucky University is a regional, coeducational, public institution of higher education offering general and liberal arts programs, pre-professional and professional training in education and various other fields at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Located in Richmond, Madison County, Kentucky, EKU has a distinguished record of more than a century of educational service to the Commonwealth. Eastern Kentucky University is committed to access, equal opportunity, dignity, respect, and inclusion for all people, as integral to a learning environment in which intellectual creativity and diversity thrives.
Situated near the heart of the Bluegrass, Richmond is served by a network of major highways that make EKU easily accessible from all parts of Kentucky and surrounding states. Richmond is 26 miles southeast of Lexington, Kentucky. Interstate Highways I-75 (north-south) and I-64 (east-west) make the metropolitan areas of Cincinnati, 112 miles to the north, and Louisville, 110 miles to the west, within convenient distance by automobile. Richmond is also served by U.S. Route 25 from Southeastern Kentucky and Kentucky Route 52 from the east and west. The Bluegrass, Mountain, Daniel Boone, and Cumberland Parkways provide even greater accessibility by automobile since the city is located near the convergence of these arterial highways into the interstate system.
EKU is dedicated to high-quality instruction, scholarship, and service, and places emphasis on the three in that order. Through its colleges and schools, the University seeks to offer quality instruction at a variety of degree levels in general education, the arts, the sciences, business, education, pre-professional and professional areas, and applied and technical disciplines. Through consultative services, continuing education, and the extended campus, the University seeks to provide service to the community and the region. Research seeks both to advance knowledge in the subject matter areas with which the University is concerned and to support the primary function of teaching.
The Institute for Creative and Collaborative Arts: Art, Communication, Music, and Design at Eastern Kentucky University invites applications for a full-time, tenure track position in Instructional Design beginning in August of 2021. The Institute is seeking dedicated, experienced, dynamic and motivated individuals to provide leadership, engagement, and disciplined expertise to coordinate and teach in the Masters of Instructional Design and Learning Technology program.
The Master of Instructional Design and Learning Technology program is a fully online degree program. As a tenure-track faculty member, successful candidates should be specialists in learning design and design thinking with an emphasis on pedagogical innovations. Candidates should demonstrate a commitment to student success through teaching and learning excellence that will move the program forward in innovative ways.
Candidates must use technology-based teaching and communication platforms to aid students in the development of competencies. The candidate will also need to exhibit strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to present information clearly, concisely, and accurately with organized detail.
Candidates should have a forward-thinking perspective with regard to learning experience design, as it relates to instructional design. Experience/research interests/teaching in one or more of the following areas:
- Learning Experience Design
- Design Thinking
- User Experience Design
- Learning Analytics
- Emerging Instructional Technologies
- Instructional Technologies
- E-Learning Assessment Strategies
- Evaluating e-Learning Impact
- E-Learning Leadership and Management
- Universal Design
- Instructional Design Methods
- Research Methods
- Usability Testing
- Instructional Design Project Management
- Provide leadership in program
- Coordinate and teach in program
- Evaluation and measurement
- Building community partnerships (external internships) and
supervise candidates in field internship placements.
- Supervise candidates in capstone portfolio
- Data-driven decision-making needs analysis and
- Participation in student recruitment, developing and revising
curriculum; assessment of program learning outcomes;
- Using software, computers and multimedia
- Collegial participation in departmental, college and
discipline-specific professional activities.
• Ph.D. or Ed. D. degree from an accredited or internationally recognized institution in Instructional Design, Instructional Technology, Learning Sciences, Information Science or related field
• Graduate Assistant teaching experience
• Potential for ongoing effective teaching, service and scholarship/ creative activity
• Fluency with technology-based teaching and communication platforms; current standard software, computer use and multimedia technologies
• Previous experience with instructional design, learning experience design, e-learning, training.
• Prior e-learning and learning management system (LMS) experience (e.g., Canvas, Blackboard, Sakai, Moodle)
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to present information clearly, concisely, and accurately
• Strong organizational skills and detailed orientated.
• Two or more years full-time teaching experience from introductory through advanced courses.
• Professionally active with a record of scholarly and creative achievement that may include peer-reviewed recognition and/or conference presentations or publications.
• Prior experience with Multimedia or emerging media or advanced technologies (VR, game, AR, etc.)
• Prior experience with curriculum development of courses at the department and college level.
Posting Number: F00233P
Number of Vacancies: 1
Job Open Date: 03/30/2021
Application Review Date: 05/01/2021
Job Close Date:
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions Summary:
Applicants must apply online through Eastern Kentucky University’s Human Resources.
Complete online applications must include:
Letter of application that includes your interest in the position
Copies of official academic transcripts, originals will be requested from finalists
Three confidential letters of reference should be sent under separate cover to: Benjamin.Cirgin@eku.edu Review of applications will begin April 1, 2021 and continue until the position is filled.
A brief description of your research agenda and a sample of a representative research output
Eastern Kentucky University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and educational institution and does not discriminate on the basis of age (40 and over), race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, ethnicity, disability, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information in the admission to, or participation in, any educational program or activity (e.g., athletics, academics and housing) which it conducts or any employment policy or practice.
Background Check Statement:
Offers of employment are contingent upon satisfactory background check.
To apply, visit https://jobs.eku.edu/postings/16105