Academic Technology Manager
Academic Technology Manager
Main Campus - Boston, MA
The Academic Technology Manager in the College of Organizational, Computational, and Information Sciences (COCIS) provides technology support for all discipline-specific components required by online and face-to-face instruction in the School of Library and Information Science, School of Business, and Division of Mathematics, Computing, and Statistics. The academic technology support includes collaborating with faculty on their pedagogical needs and assisting with the development of experiential teaching and learning activities. Reporting to the Director of Operations, the Technology Manager is also the primary point of contact for technology use in the College, offers support for technology needs of faculty research and program administration, and acts as the College's primary liaison to Simmons Technology. Specifically, the COCIS Academic Technology Manager has the following responsibilities:
Provide Direct Academic Support
- Oversee all aspects of domain-specific applications, including
faculty, staff, and student support. Activities include
installation and support of new open source web applications/tools,
as well as support for students working on specialized advanced
library and information science projects, such as the creation of
digital libraries and databases using a variety of content
management system solutions.
- Implement projects in partnership with faculty to understand
technology needs and priorities, translating these priorities into
practical application in the classroom and in their work
environments that align with the goals of the faculty's pedagogy
- Continuously evaluate education technology trends to develop
recommendations for technology improvements to faculty.
- Collaborate with faculty to develop experiential online
teaching and learning activities and software support for classes
and labs, based on the needs of COCIS faculty.
- Measure and report usage and value added of online learning
activities, open labs, classroom labs, and equipment.
Liaise with Simmons Technology and External IT Support Groups
- Coordinate with Simmons Technology to ensure system security,
maintenance, backup, and administration for the server and cloud
environments and lab spaces.
- Partner with Simmons IT and external IT support groups to
develop systems and solutions for COCIS.
- Manage IT components of COCIS efforts and maintain existing
COCIS IT infrastructure.
Manage COCIS Laboratories
- Create a robust schedule with supplemental curricular and
cocurricular activities, open lab utilization and virtual walk-in
- Provide access to, training in, and support for a range of
technologies - including enterprise technologies, specialized
equipment, and social media platforms - and spaces needed by the
College faculty, staff, and students.
- Maintain systems and network documentation and records of
maintenance contracts, ensuring that service contracts are renewed
in a timely fashion.
Support COCIS Operations
- Manage the COCIS Technology budget, prioritizing and balancing
needs for equipment, student support, and infrastructure
- Oversee general COCIS equipment and collaborate with Simmons
Technology for technology purchases and maintenance.
- Hire, train, and supervise student staff to provide coverage
for a technology support center within COCIS.
- Coordinate with Simmons Technology and HR to ensure COCIS is
providing adequate onboarding and continued training for faculty
and staff using applications.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- 5+ years of relevant professional experience, preferably in
- Bachelors required, Masters preferred. Degree from Library and
Information Science, Information Technology/Systems, Computer
Science, Instructional Design/Technology, or Archives highly
- Experience managing projects; preference for applicants who can
manage college-age students.
- Experience installing and managing open source software and
packages on a variety of operating systems.
- Strong attention to detail, organization, and prioritization
- Exceptional communications skills and creative problem-solving
- Proven experience fostering an inclusive and customer-centric
work environment, working collaboratively and
Required Technical Skills
- Familiarity with Linux system administration and ability to
manage applications and database in Linux server
- Experience providing technical support for Mac, and Windows
- Web application development and support required; LAMP web
server, Drupal, WordPress expertise are a plus.
- Demonstrated technical project management
Required Application Materials:
- Cover Letter
Instructions to Applicants: Please upload all applicable application materials (e.g. resume/cv, cover letter, writing sample, teaching philosophy, etc.) in the "Resume/CV" box on page 2 ("My Experience") of this application. Documents can be uploaded individually or as a combined document (e.g. PDF).
Simmons University is committed to inclusive excellence in all aspects of an individual's community experience. As a university committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, Simmons encourages applications from all under-represented groups. Simmons is committed to creating, developing, promoting, and enhancing inclusive hiring practices-at all levels, for all positions-ensuring diverse talent pools and the delivery of a consistent positive candidate experience. Simmons is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to continuing to develop a more diverse faculty, staff, student body, and curriculum.
To apply, visit https://simmons.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Simmons-Careers/job/Main-Campus---Boston-MA/Academic-Technology-Manager_R07472
Located in Boston’s historic Fenway area, Simmons College is a small, private, non-sectarian College which has educated students for enriching careers and purposeful lives since 1899. Working at Simmons means joining a collaborative, diverse and mission-driven community of educators and professionals.
We prepare students to be leaders for themselves, their communities and the world. Our faculty and staff members lead by example - sharing a commitment to excellence and putting the students first.