Director, Center for Organic Production and Research
The Center for Organic Production and Research represents a unique partnership between Cal Poly and private industry designed to expand Cal Poly’s emphasis on applied research in organic production and soil health by providing a unique, collaborative platform for academia, industry and government from across California and beyond to join forces in advancing the organic agriculture industry.
The Director of the Center for Organic Production and Research is critical to the development and leadership of this new interdisciplinary, public-private partnership established between Cal Poly and Grimmway Farms. The new Center for Organic Production and Research will serve as a hub for students to work with experts from across the industry to develop solutions to the most pressing issues related to organic agriculture. The Director and Center will focus on (1) applied research to solve major issues in organic agricultural production, particularly regarding soil health and plant nutrition, weed management and pest management; (2) collaborative and transdisciplinary research to enhance the sustainability and competitiveness of organic agriculture in California; and (3) enriching the talent pipeline for experiential, applied internships between Cal Poly students and Grimmway Farms.
Typical Essential Functions:
- Provide overall leadership and strategic management for the direction, coordination and oversight of the new Center for Organic Production and Research
- Build a dynamic, results-oriented Center that integrates academia, industry and government partners to develop real-world, science-based solutions to issues related to organic agriculture
- Develop budget and personnel strategies to support the Center’s operations
- Administer the Center’s research, education and outreach mission
- Conduct research to support Center goals, secure grants to support a research program, administer the Center with the option of teaching related courses
- Establish an advisory council to serve as a nexus between industry, government and academic leaders and Cal Poly faculty, staff and students for the purpose of developing globally pertinent research programs
- Collaborate with faculty and students across campus to achieve Center objectives
- Engage in fund-raising activities in conjunction with the college advancement team to support the Center’s mission and operations
- Perform other job-related duties and special projects as assigned
- Maintain currency in the knowledge and skills necessary to facilitate industry-leading solutions
- Directly supervise assigned employees. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with Corporation’s policies and applicable laws and regulations
- Perform other duties assigned
- Ph.D. in Plant Science or related discipline (e.g., Soil Science, Horticulture, Agronomy, Plant Pathology, Entomology, Weed Science, etc.)
- Minimum of 5 years of experience as a researcher and manager of research
- Successful track record in grantsmanship with government, commodity and/or NGO funding agencies
- Research project management experience
- Demonstrated track record in organizing or participating in industry extension/outreach programs, including presenting research for grower groups.
- Demonstrated excellence in research, teaching and publication in peer-reviewed journals
- Demonstrated skills in administration and budget management
- Evidence of strong leadership and effective personnel management skills
- Evidence of ability to develop external financial resources for the support of teaching and research
- See posting via the link above for the full description of duties and qualifications
Cal Poly Corporation provides excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, retirement, paid sick leave/vacation and holidays. Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background check, educational and employment verification, and reference check, as required.
AA/EEO/Disability/Protected Veteran Employer