Assistant General Counsel (Litigation)
The Assistant General Counsel (Litigation) is an experienced litigator, with experience trying cases before both jury and arbitrator. The Assistant Counsel also provides legal counsel and guidance to the institution and management on all litigation matters relevant to a large, private, for-profit, higher education institution, including litigation and regulatory related hearings related to compliance, and general business law, policies, procedures, rules, and regulations, and laws pertaining to education, employee relations matters, contracts liability and insurance matters, and other state and federal laws and regulations.
Reporting directly to the General Counsel and working on multi-faceted litigation and serves as primary litigation/arbitration counsel for the client. The position will collaborate and assist the organization by giving advice/guidance regarding litigation matters, internal investigations and respond to and manage the organization’s position and correspondence with outside legal and non-legal inquiries, complaints, and legal matters.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- In ACC and WCU’s Legal Department, we have a collaborative team – no job is too big or too small and we often support each other by performing tasks outside of our traditional job responsibilities.
- The position will provide support and legal guidance on disputes or threatened legal action, including:
- Analyzes demands, legal and arbitration pleadings and discovery requests to create early case assessments and legal budgets, including tracking and adhering to litigation project scope and budgets.
- Handles litigation and dispute related issues not requiring assistance of outside counsel, including drafting of various motions, briefs and other pleadings.
- Assists with discovery production, including gathering information and documentation, conducting privilege reviews, creating privilege logs and assisting in document review.
- Provides counsel and advice related to private, for-profit, higher education laws and regulations, including the interpretation of statute and regulation and the development of implementation plans for new and changing laws.
Juris Doctorate from an ABA accredited law school.
Licensed to practice law in California and in good standing with the California State Bar.
- Minimum eight (8) years’ experience working in a heavily regulated sector, with demonstrative experience of working with state and federal regulations. Employment law experience strongly preferred.
- Substantive litigation experience, including first chair jury experience and/or first chair arbitration experience in the State of California.
- Experience arguing motions in court and/or arbitration, including handling discovery disputes and drafting dispositive motion.
- Experience developing and implementing strategy for implementing compliance in response to new laws and regulations.
- Experience developing and coordinating complex discovery matters using best practices and innovative strategies.
For over 100 years, West Coast University has been educating and preparing students for professional careers across our six campuses located in Southern California, Dallas, Miami, and Online. As part of our unique student-centric approach to advanced healthcare education you will be empowering future healthcare professionals. At West Coast University our students are Ahead of the Curve. Our Mission is to embrace a student-centric learning partnership that leads to professional success. We deliver transformational education within a culture of integrity and personal accountability.
Our benefited faculty and associates are offered a comprehensive benefit package including:
- Health & Wellness
- Financial & Retirement
- Family & Parenting
- Vacation & Time Off
- Perks & Discount
- Professional Development
West Coast University is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we seek candidates who desire to work in and serve an ethnically-diverse population.Primary Location: Irvine, California Campus: Shared Services Function: Professional