Registered Nurse I
The Department of Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine is seeking a competent, reliable, entry level registered nurse to provide direct patient care in our busy Nephrology Clinic. This position is responsible for assisting in the delivery of health care and patient care management, in collaboration with our physicians. Candidate must possess a proactive, team-oriented attitude, with attention to detail and superior time management skills. The ideal candidate is able to promote patient's independence by involving patient in defining and establishing patient care goals; teaching and counseling patient, friends, and family and reinforcing their understanding of disease, medications, and self-care skills. In addition, the ideal candidate respects and supports patient rights and promotes positive family and patient relations.
- Adheres to the scope of practice as defined by the Texas Nurse Practice Act.
- Provides professional nursing assessment of patients.
- Assists with treatment room examination and procedures on patients.
- Schedule appointments, tests, and examinations with hospital and other doctor's offices.
- Documents patient care services by charting in patient's electronic medical record.
- Instructs patients concerning the preparations needed for tests and surgical procedures.
- Communicates with other health care professionals regarding orders and care of patients.
- Executes physician orders and administers medications and treatments for patients.
- Performs routine patient care responsibilities such as taking vital signs, venipuncture (blood draws), collect specimens, EKGs/ECGs, and laboratory Point of Care Testing.
- Collects patient history, performs medication reconciliation and enters information in EPIC.
- Provides telephone triage to patients and ensure patients receive the right level of care.
- Monitors or supervises Licensed Vocational Nurses and unlicensed staff members by directing, guiding, and influencing the outcome of an individual's performance and activity.
- Identifies and supports basic cost containment and efficiency for patients and the clinic.
- Prioritizes and organizes work so that assignments are completed in a timely and efficient manner.
- Initiates infusion orders for patients.
- Schedules admissions for patients.
- Manages EPIC desktop workflow basket.
- Initiates Prior Authorizations.
- Associate's Degree or Bachelor's Degree in Nursing.
- Current license as a Registered Nurse (RN) by the State of Texas Board of Nursing. Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification.
- Knowledge/experience with electronic medical records (EPIC) preferred.
- Bilingual English/Spanish speaking preferred.
Physical Risks: Potential exposures to blood borne pathogens (blood &/or other potentially infectious materials), drugs, chemicals, radiation, and physical hazards found in patient clinics, hospitals and/or laboratory work environments and in working directly with patients and other employees. Initial Blood borne Pathogens Training is required, and a Blood borne Pathogens Refresher Training must be taken annually.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.