Associate Dean, Adult Education
ASSOCIATE DEAN - ADULT EDUCATION
MALCOLM X COLLEGE
Malcolm X College is seeking an Associate Dean of Adult Education to serve as the chief assistant to the Dean of Adult Education in the areas of academic policy, student admissions, curriculum research and development, faculty recruitment and retention and budget development and administration. This person acts as the administrator in charge of the entire department in the absence of the Dean, Adult Education.
- Identifies and recommends staffing needs to the Dean. Interviews and recommends to the Dean selection of part-time faculty. Evaluates part-time faculty and recommends retention or non-retention.
- Develops and implements a comprehensive orientation program for part-time faculty, in conjunction with the Office of Human Resources at the College and the District Office.
- Provides for an effective two-way channel of communication between the administration and faculty to ensure the integrity of the educational programs, the currency of the offerings, and the innovation of appropriate new technologies within the department. Aggressively pursues and follows through with issues of concern and assists in resolving problems.
- Serves as a hearing officer regarding student complaints and recommends appropriate procedures for their resolution. Ensures that academic policies are distributed, explained and adhered to by students and staff.
- Prepares and develops budgets for the division in cooperation with the Business Office. Assists the Dean in monitoring the budget. Develops and implements procedures for the request, purchase and maintenance of instructional equipment and supplies and ensures the maintenance of accurate inventory control.
- Works with the Registrar’s Office to facilitate seamless registration processes for the Adult Education department consistent with District policies and procedures.
- Coordinates and directs the evaluation, review and implementation of innovative curriculum additions and revisions, course outlines and syllabi and textbook selection.
- Writes proposals to seek external funding for specific projects and initiatives that require support beyond the District’s capabilities.
- Works with the Office of Research to plan and implement routine research concerning the numbers, status and success of course offerings; prepares reports and analyses setting forth progress or adverse trends; and makes appropriate recommendations and/or conclusions.
- Uses computer software to prepare memoranda and spreadsheet reports detailing activities and statistics. Represents the college to community organizations and agencies and participates on district-wide committees.
- Pays attention to detail in all aspects of each assignment to ensure accuracy of information and reports.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, English as a Second Language (ESL), or a related field required. Master’s degree in one or more of the above-stated fields preferred, supplemented by a minimum of five years of administrative experience in Adult Education and/or ESL programs; or an equivalent combination of training and experience required.
- Proven organizational skills and supervisory ability.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with employees at all levels of the organization, in addition to students and other college customers is required. Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be computer proficient with knowledge of a variety of software programs. Must be self-directed and innovative, able to assess current operations in an effort to improve the future goals of the District.
- Must be able to meet deadlines in a timely manner.
WE OFFER: Excellent health benefits at a low cost; Investment plans 403(b) & 457(b); SURS Retirement Plan; Generous vacation, holidays, personal and sick days; Tuition Reimbursement. For a more detailed overview of benefits, please visit our benefits page.
Chicago residency is required for all full-time employees within 6 months of hire.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of Chicago!