The Center for Infrastructure, Energy, and Space Testing (CIEST) at CU Boulder encourages applications for a full-time PostDoctoral Associate to support a newly established, 3-year Department of Energy research project! This project will target state-of-the-art restoration technologies for critical infrastructure. Administered under the Advanced Research Projects-Agency (ARPA-E), REPAIR will establish a framework of physical testing and modeling to improve the performance and longevity of existing natural gas pipeline infrastructure. This project will span multiple universities and intersect with partners across gas utilities and regulatory agencies to translate the developed knowledge and technologies into engineering practice.
Based in Boulder, Colorado, the position is available immediately and applicants will be reviewed until the position is filled. The research team includes PI, Prof. Brad Wham , co-PI’s, Profs. Shideh Dashti and Mija Hubler, and CIEST laboratory staff at CU along with collaborators at Cornell University, University of Southern Queensland, and the Gas Technology Institute. Given the critical laboratory testing components of the project, relocation to Colorado is expected.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
CIEST provides a centrally managed experimental testing facility offering geotechnical centrifuge, structural dynamics, and materials testing. The facility boasts unique large-scale, fast loading rate, gravitational and environmental control capabilities.
The CIEST lab facility exists to provide publicly accessible facilities and expertise for large-scale structural and materials testing. The center is a group of shared laboratories open to students, faculty, and visitors.
The fields of civil, environmental, and architectural engineering offer careers in the planning, design, construction, and management of the built environment as well as in the interaction between the built environment and the natural environment. CEAE's mission is the education of undergraduate and graduate students to become leaders in the professional practice of engineering, adding to technological advances that benefit humankind while improving the earth’s physical and biological resources.
The college’s mission is to generate new knowledge in engineering and related fields and to equip students from diverse backgrounds to become leaders and citizens responsible for the improvement of individuals and society. Our vision is to be a recognized world leader for excellence and innovation in engineering research and education, with an emphasis on inclusive excellence, active learning, and global society.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
The postdoctoral associate will support the testing and analysis team in developing physical experiments and numerical approaches to assess the 50-year design life of innovative pipe-in-pipe technologies. Responsibilities include: defining potential failure mechanisms and establishing required material response/properties; interpreting/correlating numerical and experimental data; developing and executing experimental procedures for validation; and detailing results in reports, publications, and an eventual ASTM-style testing standard.
What We Can Offer
Salary range is $40,000 - $55,000 annually.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Accomplished. Be Driven. Be Boulder.
What We Require
Ph.D. degree in Structural, Geotechnical, Mechanical or Materials Engineering, or a related field.
What You Will Need
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Dedication to collaboration, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Proven organizational skills including task and critical-path management.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Prior experience in standard development and technical reporting.
- Experience in numerical modeling of sophisticated materials and failure analysis.
- Research to practice mentality.
- Software experience in LabVIEW, MatLAB, MTS suites, CAD, Solidworks, etc.
- Strong publication record in primary research literature.
- Experience in large-scale experimental design and data interpretation.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Cover Letter
- Proof of Degree
- The document uploaded for Proof of Degree can be a Transcript which shows the date the degree was conferred; Copy of Diploma; or official letter from the Registrar or the Dean of the School or College conferring the degree.
- If your degree was obtained outside of the United States, please submit a translated version if applicable.
- List of contact information of three references (including at
least two academic references)
- During the application process you will also need to enter contact information for one (1) reference who will be contacted to provide a letter of recommendation and additional materials, if needed, as the search progresses.
- One published writing sample (that demonstrates a strong command of communication skills) in PDF format.
Position will be posted until filled.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs .
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: Recruiting@colorado.edu