Head of Library Digital Scholarship and Communication Services
Working Title Head of Library Digital Scholarship and Communication Services Department Steely Library Full Time or Part Time? Full Time Position Number 30001573 Commitment to Inclusive Excellence
Northern Kentucky University ( NKU ) seeks excellence by enriching its educational environment and culture through the diversity of its administration, faculty and staff and by embracing inclusiveness, equity, and global awareness in all dimensions of its work. NKU is an Equal Opportunity/Equal Access/Affirmative Action institution. We encourage applications by members of diverse groups and by persons with a demonstrated commitment to issues of diversity and experience in achieving goals relative to inclusive excellence.
Purpose of Position
The Head of Digital Scholarship and Communication Services is a new position that leads the W. Frank Steely Library’s efforts in planning, implementing, and managing an active, comprehensive research services program that meets the educational needs of the campus. This is a unique opportunity to shape and lead the library’s growing research support role with regards to digital literacy, multimodal digital publishing, digital ethics, GIS research, research data management, data and statistical science, digital humanities scholarship, media archaeology, and other kinds of computational research and teaching. The individual will provide leadership for corresponding library technology and software and make recommendations for potential new positions to grow the existing services.
Reporting to the Dean of the Library, the Department Head will lead a team of faculty librarians and staff who hold functional roles. The successful candidate is a dynamic, student-focused educator with demonstrated leadership skills, who continually transforms and assesses research services by using quantitative and qualitative data to inform planning while actively monitoring the campus curriculum. With enthusiasm, the Department Head will build an understanding of the library’s role in advancing the institution’s focus on undergraduate research. This position serves on the Library’s leadership team and will contribute to the development and implementation of the Library’s vision and goals. The successful candidate may be hired at assistant or associate professor rank.
The W. Frank Steely Library provides a wide range of library services to support the University’s commitment to its Success by Design strategic framework, which promotes student success by embracing inclusiveness, equity, global awareness, and academic needs of students and faculty in each academic college. Library faculty and staff have enhanced traditional services to better address 21st century information needs and are collaborative partners across campus. The library’s twenty faculty members and fourteen staff members are leading the implementation of NKU’s campus-wide Quality Enhancement Plan on Information Literacy and newly created digital repository, and offering an online Bachelor’s degree in library informatics.
NKU is a public comprehensive university located in the Northern Kentucky/Cincinnati, Ohio metropolitan area. The university delivers innovative, learner-centered education and engages in impactful scholarly and creative activities, all of which empower students for fulfilling careers and meaningful lives while contributing to the social and economic vitality of the region. NKU has almost 14,000 students, over 2,000 faculty and staff. It offers 79 undergraduate degree programs, master’s degrees in 21 disciplines, graduate certificates in 15 areas, two doctoral programs, a law degree, and in a partnership with the University of Kentucky and St. Elizabeth Hospital opened a medical school in the fall of 2019.
Leadership in Digital Scholarship & Communications
• Supervises a team of librarians and staff responsible for implementing research services and outreach, including workload distribution, goal setting, performance evaluation, teaching observations, and professional development.
• Provides leadership for the development, maintenance, and support of digital scholarship services, programming, and research for both undergraduate and graduate programs, including face-to-face and virtual modes of delivery.
• Leads the coordination with campus partners to integrate digital scholarship and communications services throughout campus programs.
• Identifies opportunities for incorporating digital scholarship projects within the campus curriculum.
• Oversees the growth of the digital repository and recommends related library technology and software.
• Oversees training and professional development for librarians and staff on aspects of digital scholarship and communications, including best practices.
• Oversees research help services, a suite of services, including walk-up help, chat service (local and consortial), and consultations.
Liaison Responsibilities & Leadership in Organizational Culture
• Serves on/collaborates with campus committees, related campus departments/units, and Library committees and task forces.
• Liaises with campus departments and centers, and external partners to create programming and services to support the educational mission of the university.
• Leads the effort for Library to be recognized across campus as an active contributor to undergraduate and graduate research initiatives.
• Communicates with clarity and transparency to internal and external stakeholders.
• Actively promotes an environment of continual improvement by engaging in ongoing learning, information sharing, and professional development.
• Contributes to research tutoring and consultations.
• Other duties as assigned.
Service and Scholarship
• Participates in Library and campus-wide committees and NKU faculty governance.
• Participates in scholarship and creative activity in order to meet expectations for faculty at NKU .
• Master’s degree from an ALA accredited library or information science program or an ALA approved foreign equivalent.
• Supervisory experience and/or evidence of the ability to be an effective team leader who fosters an inclusive, efficient, and collegial workplace.
• Proven project success in a field such as digital humanities, digital science, digital social sciences, digital art, data science or other related field.
• Demonstrated experience building working relationships and collaborations with academic programs and/or faculty at an institution of higher education.
• Demonstrated commitment to professional activity/service, especially in the area of digital scholarship, scholarly communications, or trends in higher education.
• Experience managing and growing a digital repository.
• Demonstrated experience capitalizing on growth opportunities.
• Demonstrated understanding of project management skills.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge and understanding of key issues and trends in digital scholarship and scholarly communications.
• Knowledge and understanding of key issues and trends in research help services.
• Ability to lead and manage complex teams.
• Knowledge and understanding of key issues and trends that affect academic libraries or higher education.
• Ability to work well both independently and in a collaborative environment and to contribute to professional service.
• Exemplary interpersonal and written communication skills plus a demonstrated commitment to professional development/achievement.
• Ability to create an exciting, future-oriented library.
Applications submitted by April 18, 2021 will receive full consideration. Although the position will remain posted until filled, applicants are strongly encouraged to apply by end of day on April 18, 2021. Salary is $66,000 – $78,000
Minimum Education Master's Degree Preferred Education Master's Degree
Requisition Number 2021F530 Job Open Date 03/23/2021 Job Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Quick Link https://jobs.nku.edu/postings/10169 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Have you successfully earned a Masters in Library and/or
Information Science from an American Library Association accredited
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application