HVAC Technician I (South)
Duties and Responsibilities
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Technician I is directly responsible to the HVAC Foreman. The HVAC Technician I will be working with the HVAC team installing, inspecting, operating and repairing HVAC equipment for preserving food, making ice, cooling water, and air conditioning college buildings.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Must be able to learn, understand, and operate a computerized energy management system (EMS).
- Assists LC HVAC team installing, inspecting, and operating heating and refrigeration machinery and cooler and freezer units, and insures that they are functioning properly.
- Assists other HVAC Technician I in performing jobs requiring more than one mechanic.
- Reads thermometers and gauges and records readings in logbook or other forms.
- Able to add or decrease amount of refrigerant in HVAC machinery.
- Expected to learn how to detect malfunctioning HVAC machinery.
- Tests operation of thermostats and insure proper operation.
- Notifies supervisor to send/order parts which cannot be repaired readily to manufacturer or to repair ship.
- Periodically examines air conditioning and refrigeration equipment, checking vacuum and pressure of cooling units, observing condition of electric motors, cleaning dirt and lint from motors and condensers, and adding or removing refrigerant to adjust vacuum or pressure.
- Assists HVAC Technician 1 mechanics to operate new refrigeration systems for several hours, adjusting thermostats and valves to insure proper control of freezing action.
- Cleans coils and tubes on chilled water, hot water, condensers coils, etc.
- Assists HVAC Technician 1 mechanics to Trouble shoots and repairs inoperative refrigerators, chillers, window units, ice makers, water fountains, freezers, etc.
- Ability to properly use measuring equipment such as volt meter, ampere meter, refrigerant leak detector, OHMS meter, vacuum pump, etc.
- Ability to work from oral instructions and blueprints.
- Knowledge of general safety procedures.
- Follows manufacturer’s preventive maintenance schedules and recommends changes.
- Will perform additional duties as assigned by the Director of Physical Plant.
NOTICE: Required Documents
To be considered for this position, you are required to upload your high school diploma or unofficial transcript or GED certificate. If recommended for this position an official transcript(s) will be required. If a license or certificate is required for this position, upload proof of your current license/certificate.
- High School graduate or equivalent.
- Must have the ability to read, write, and follow written and
oral instructions in English and Spanish.
- Must have completion of a one-(1) year technical training in
air conditioning and refrigeration.
- Must have some general experience in operating and maintaining
heating, ventilation, and air conditioning equipment with minimal
supervision; experience with computerized HVAC systems
- Valid State Driver’s License
- Some exposure to chiller water based industrial HVAC system.
- Work experience in chiller water based industrial HVAC systems.
- Certified as a Type III Technician.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of air conditioning practices;
- Some knowledge of life safety code, National Electric Code,
E.P.A. regulations and basic computer software.
Supervise subcontractors from time to time in routine maintenance and systems troubleshooting and repairs (during office hours and while on call).
Directly dispatching and project assignment from HVAC Foreman.
Work is performed in a variety of settings.
Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, pushing, and pulling, and at times subject to stooping, crawling, and climbing.
May need to lift heavy objects of up to 50 pounds and occasionally up to 100 pounds.
May be exposed to a variety of temperatures, noise, moving mechanical parts, or chemicals.
Specific vision abilities may include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to focus.
Work beyond a normal workday and at varied work locations that may include the college south campus, which may include traveling from and to each campus.
Work outdoors with exposure to all types of weather conditions.
Be exposed to noise and vibration from operating machinery.
Required to work safely and follow safety rules.
Report unsafe working conditions and behavior.
Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
Immediate supervisor may assign other duties. May be required to work outside regular working hours, as needed.
May be required to work at a different college work site or campus as needed.
In compliance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Executive Order 11246 and Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Laredo College is open to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, or national origin who are otherwise eligible for admission as students. Furthermore, Laredo College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and no applicant or employee will be discriminated against because of race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability or national origin. This institution will not enter knowingly into any contractual agreement for services or supplies with any firm failing to follow fair employment practices.
Foreign degrees require an evaluation for United States equivalency from an approved stated education agency or having membership with the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). Transcripts issued outside the United States of America require a course-by-course analysis with an equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached to your online application at the time of applying. For your convenience, we have provided the following links to assist you in complying with this requirement. However, you may use any other certified transcript evaluation service. http://tea.texas.gov/Texas_Educators/Certification/Out-of-State_Certification/Foreign_Credential_Evaluation_Services/ http://www.naces.org/members.htm
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. LC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by LC as its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Laredo College offers a comprehensive benefit package.To read more about our Benefits, please visit this page on our College website
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Laredo
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Laredo
- Vocational & Technical Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Laredo
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Laredo
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Laredo