Coordinator of Diversity and Inclusion
We are a community committed to preparing students to be educated and enlightened citizens who lead productive and meaningful lives.
To be the national model for the engaged university: engaged with ideas and the world.
Who We Are
Established in 1908, James Madison University is a comprehensive public institution offering undergraduate, masters and doctoral programs to more than 20,000 students. JMU is regarded as one of the finest regional universities in the nation and has been continuously cited in U.S. News and World Report, Changing Times and Money Magazine as an outstanding public university. Located in the heart of Virginia’s beautiful Shenandoah Valley, the city of Harrisonburg is approximately 120 miles from Washington, D.C. and Richmond, VA. Known for its livability, diversity, local food, arts and natural surroundings, this Virginia Main Street community is a great place to live and work.
The Coordinator of Diversity and Inclusion works within the University Career Center to maximize opportunities for under-represented students to connect with career advisors and with employers. The position serves as the primary liaison to JUM offices, programs and student organizations that attract, support and develop under-represented students, including those for racial and ethnic minority populations, first-generation and low-income students, students with disabilities, military veterans, and various non-traditional students.
Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Create, implement and evaluate programs, services and resources that support the career development and job search of under-represented students (racial and ethnic minorities, first-generation, low-income, students with disabilities, veterans, etc.).
- Increase the number of under-represented students that engage with our office and its programs, who specifically participate in on-campus recruiting events, and who secure internships and jobs with select employers.
- Serve as the liaison to other offices, programs and organizations (e.g. Center for Multicultural Student Services, Centennial Scholars, Madison Scholars, Black Alumni Chapter, etc.) that support our diversity and inclusion mission and are able to link us to under-represented students.
- Participate in university events that provide opportunities to engage with potential and admitted students – admission fairs, CHOICES programs, freshman and transfer orientation.
- Supervise a student assistant, coordinate programs and messaging with Career Educators, serve as a resource to the Student Advisory Board, and interact periodically with the leaders of relevant student organizations.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Master’s degree in a related field
- At least two years of experience designing, conducting, and evaluating programs and services that specifically support under-represented college students or young adults.
- Knowledge of theories, models and best practices related to diversity, equity and inclusion, particularly in educational settings.
- Experience and ability creating and sustaining collaborative relationships with other departments, agencies and organizations.
- Demonstrated effective writing and oral communication skills, culminating in the capacity to influence others toward the pursuit of common goals.
- Understanding and appreciation of college student engagement, learning and success theories and practices, including the relationship between learning environments and college outcomes.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a diverse team.
- Ability to effectively supervise professional and student staff.
James Madison University is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status.
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Harrisonburg
- Student Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Harrisonburg
- Career Services Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Harrisonburg
- Minority & Multicultural Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Harrisonburg