Vice President for Finance and Treasurer
VICE PRESIDENT FOR FINANCE
at Bridgewater College in Virginia
Bridgewater College seeks candidates for the position of Vice President for Finance and Treasurer. Reporting directly to the President, the Vice President for Finance and Treasurer is a member of the President’s Executive Team. This senior administrator provides leadership, stewardship, and direction for the financial administrative functions of the College and supervises the performance of all duties related to the control of College funds. As the College’s chief financial officer, the Vice President for Finance and Treasurer serves as the strategic advisor to the President and the Board of Trustees on all financial and campus facilities matters.
Complete information is available in
Bridgewater College (www.bridgewater.edu) is a small, private liberal arts college in the picturesque setting of Bridgewater, Virginia. Established in 1880, the College admitted both men and women from the time of its founding, the first four-year, liberal arts college in Virginia to do so.
Located in the Shenandoah Valley, the Bridgewater campus covers 300 acres, bounded by the Allegheny Mountains to the west and the Blue Ridge chain to the east, both of which are visible from campus.
Consistently listed as a “Best College in the Southeast” by The Princeton Review, Bridgewater College is historically affiliated with the Church of the Brethren, a Christian denomination founded on the core values of equality, community, simplicity, service, and peace. These values have deeply influenced the College’s mission and its campus life. Bridgewater honors this heritage while creating an inclusive community that welcomes all religious, spiritual, and philosophical perspectives.
Many students come to Bridgewater for its combination of small size and strong academic programs. Bridgewater’s approximately 1,600 full-time students can choose from more than 50 majors, earning either a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science degree. Additionally, there are four graduate programs, several pre-professional programs, and opportunities to study abroad in more than 50 countries. Undergraduate and graduate classes are consistently small with 10-19 students. The student-faculty ratio is 13:1, and students give high marks for accessibility to their professors.
In 2017, the College offered its first master’s program in Athletic Training and now offers a master of arts in Digital Media Strategy, a master of science in Human Resources Management and a master of science in Psychology—Mental Health Professions. The College intends to build on this entry into the graduate program market with exciting new offerings supported by market research.
Bridgewater has an active campus community. There are more than 60 clubs and organizations on campus. Campus life activities and programs offer students the opportunity to grow in four key areas: identity, community, critical thinking, and cultural appreciation. The College is a Division III member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association.
The Vice President for Finance and Treasurer has direct supervision of the Director of Finance and Budget, Director of Facilities, Director of Human Resources, and Director of Dining Services. The Vice President for Finance and Treasurer leads and oversees the following:
- The financial health of the organization, providing clear communication on the financial position of the organization to the executive leadership team and to the Board of Trustees, serving as the staff liaison to the Board’s Finance, Investment, Audit and Facilities committees
- Student financial services, external audits, financial reporting (internal and external), campus business services, contracting and purchasing, budget planning and analysis, and debt management
- Core support functions of the College, including campus operations and services, facilities operations and planning, human resources, and dining services
- Capital construction and campus infrastructure maintenance
- Payroll and benefits
- The development and maintenance of internal controls to safeguard financial integrity, compliance with governmental regulations, adherence to campus administrative policy and procedures, enterprise risk management, and safety and security
- All financial reports required for accreditation of the College and its programs
The economic realities facing higher education in general, and exacerbated by the pandemic, present challenges but also great opportunities for the College. The Vice President for Finance and Treasurer will play a key role in identifying and implementing strategies to sustainably strengthen the College’s finances. The successful candidate will work closely as a partner with both enrollment management and institutional advancement to maximize the College’s revenue streams.
As an institutional leader, the Vice President for Finance and Treasurer is an active participant in promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion goals across the institution, enhancing the department’s commitment to supporting a diverse institution, enhancing employees’ cultural competency skills, and cultivating a work environment that is equitable and inclusive of employees with diverse backgrounds and identities.
Candidate must have a master’s degree in administration or a business-related field or currently be a licensed CPA. A minimum of six years of progressively responsible senior leadership experience in a financial- or administrative-management role with increasing levels of demonstrated responsibility within an organization similar in size and complexity to the College is required.
Progressively relevant leadership experience in private higher education is preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership in human resources, budgeting, planning and analysis, and capital project planning
- Demonstrated ability in effective planning and policy decision making
- Experience in leading and supervising senior-level directors accountable for key operational functions serving the College
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills with evidence of collaborative, ethical, and team-oriented management and leadership style
- Excellent communication and presentation skills in both small- and large-group settings
- Proven skills in working collaboratively with financial institutions, community partners, and government agencies
- Demonstrated technical knowledge, skill, and expertise in fund accounting, financial management, and administrative operations
- Ability to work effectively with individuals from a broad spectrum of backgrounds and positions
- Knowledge and ability to effectively negotiate contracts
Situated in the Shenandoah Valley, Bridgewater’s setting is one of the most scenic in the nation. The town of Bridgewater and neighboring city of Harrisonburg (less than ten minutes away) offer a variety of restaurants, shops, galleries, fairs, and festivals.
Bridgewater consistently ranks in the top 10 safest communities in Virginia. Most recently, Bridgewater was ranked #2 by SafeWise in “Virginia’s 20 Safest Cities (2020). Bridgewater was ranked #3 in “Best Places to Live in Virginia” (2020).
Several metropolitan areas are convenient for day trips including Charlottesville, Richmond, and Washington, D.C.
APPLICATION & NOMINATION
Confidential inquiries are welcomed, and nominations are invited.
- Application packet must include: a) A letter of application that addresses the responsibilities and qualifications of the position, b) Current resume, and c) At least five references with full contact information including e-mails (References will not be contacted without consent from applicant.)
- Submit application packet (preferably as PDFs) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional information will be requested upon receipt of application.
Review of applications begins immediately. For best consideration, submit applications by May 12, 2021. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Submit nominations to: email@example.com
with complete contact and e-mail information for the individual being nominated.
Kenny Daugherty, President of Myers McRae Executive Search and Consulting, is assisting Bridgewater with this search.
Bridgewater College is an equal opportunity provider, committed to employing a diverse faculty and staff, and actively seeks applications from women, minorities, and other persons from traditionally under-represented groups.
Bridgewater College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, marital status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, religion, age, veteran status, or political affiliation in the administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, athletic programs, or other college programs and activities, or with regard to employment.
The Bridgewater College Annual Security Report and Annual Fire Safety Report summarizes policies on campus security and personal safety, crime prevention, fire safety, and crime reporting, and includes crime and fire statistics for the past three years. The reports are available at https://bridgewater.box.com/s/4ma6tlh30y8cat9un192ugo3dm6n29y9
To request a printed copy, please call 540-828-5761
Apply for Vice President for Finance and Treasurer
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Bridgewater
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Bridgewater
- Financial Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Bridgewater
- Chief Business Officers & Vice Presidents Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Bridgewater