Director of Student Affairs Communications
The Director of Student Affairs Communications serves as the chief communications and public relations officer for Student Affairs at Virginia Tech. Reporting directly to the Assistant Vice President for Administration, with a dotted line to the Associate Vice President for University Relations, this position also maintains a close working relationship with the Vice President of Student Affairs.
The director will have a strong record of progressive experience in today’s communications fields. The director must be able to manage multiple and competing priorities in a dynamic environment.
The director will plan, execute, and evaluate a comprehensive communications program for Student Affairs, for internal and external stakeholders, and align those activities with university communications, marketing and branding initiatives. The director will work across many university units and teams to provide critical information to prospective and current students and families. Communications will promote student learning and development by promoting experiences that lead to student success. The director serves as a member of the Student Affairs Leadership Team, provides leadership to a divisional/central communications team, and leadership and coordination of department level communication managers. This position will work collaboratively the Student Affairs advancement team to pursue and promote overall institutional goals, related fundraising, and alumni and parent engagement.
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, English, student affairs, or a related field with at least 10 years related experience.
• A broad background in institutional communications or student affairs communications.
• Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing a strategic vision or communications strategy –including defining goals and objectives, target audiences and assessment.
• Evidence of strong writing, editing, interpersonal, content strategy, and marketing skills.
• Experience with and understanding of effective digital communications, including website strategy, email, and social media.
• Experience supervising a team of professional staff members.
• Ability to manage multiple and competing priorities and take initiative in a dynamic, fast paced environment.
• Ability to work collaboratively with a team of colleagues and serve as a representative of the division.
• Master’s degree in related field.
• Experience working in a higher education setting.
• Understanding of marketing and communications trends impacting current college students and how these may differ from strategies to engage prospective students and donors.
• Demonstrated experience of developing and implementing a strategic visions, both within the department and more broadly for Student Affairs.
• Evidence of presentation skills, including experience developing professional and engaging slideshows with PowerPoint or other presentation software.
• Five years of experience leading a team of professionals.
• Understanding of accessibility in communications.
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Martha Glass at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Work in Student Affairs | Student Affairs | Virginia Tech (vt.edu)
Advertised: March 25, 2021
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Communications Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Other Communications Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg