Teacher, Child Development Center - Full-time
TEACHER (3 TO 5), CHILD DEVELOPMENT CENTER - FULL-TIME
Truman College is seeking a full-time Teacher for 3 to 5 year-olds in our Child Development Center. Under general supervision, the Teacher leads the classroom team in maintaining a nurturing classroom environment that offers a developmentally appropriate curriculum that meets the needs of the individual children and familiesin the classroom, and is aligned with the educational and philosophical goals of the program. The Teacher also provides supervision and mentoring to teacher assistants, aides, and practicum students in the classroom.
- Adheres to the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) Code of Ethical Conduct, demonstrating a professional attitude and work ethic, and respect for children, families, and colleagues.
- Develops and implements a child centered,play-based curriculum that provides for developmentally appropriate activities to promote children’s development in the areas of language and literacy, cognition, social-emotional well-being, and physical health.
- Ensures classroom team and curriculum adheres to the Center’s goalsand educational mission; accreditation agencies’ standards; licensing requirements; and funding source/ grant regulations.
- Provides a nurturing, stimulating, non-punitive, and culturally sensitive environment that encourages language, self-expression, exploration, creativity, imaginative play, thinking skills, and the development of positive relationships.
- Provides a safe, clean, orderly, and healthy environment for children, instructing them on personal hygiene/hand washing,personal safety practices and related topics. Maintains constant supervision over classroom activities and children.
- Reports accidents, injuries, and illnesses to parents and supervisors. Reports suspected cases of child abuse and neglect to authorities as a mandated reporterunder state law.
- Maintains a positive work relationship with parents, ensuring parents are warmly received by staff, and thatcommunication about their child’s activities and experiencesat the Center is provided through daily contact, scheduled conferences and written progress reports.
- Oversees and participates in the completion of paperwork, logs and records, as well as documentation to assess individual children and the class as a whole.
- Supervises and mentors teacher assistants, student teachers, work study students, and volunteers in the classroom.
- Participates in monthly district teacher meetings, sharing information on child development issues, classroom strategies, and professional development / training opportunities. May provide professional development workshops to staff as required.
- Implements team meetings with classroom staff and support staff/consultants to discuss curriculum, classroomactivities, and strategies for addressing student needs.
- Works with District’s Education Manager and Site Directors to ensure classroom quality. Complies with action and professional development plans created by Site Director and Education Manager for implementation.
- Supervises and mentors practicum students working in the classroom, providing guidance with the development and implementation of lesson plans, observing interactions with the children, and proving feedback.
- Reviews and discusses performance of practicum students, expectations and other requirements with the practicum supervisor.
- Attends and participates in professional development sessions, gateway approved training provided by the state and city agencies (i.e. DFSS, CPS) and other outside resources.
- Acts as the director designee in absence of the site director.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Child Development/Early Childhood Education. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Illinois Professional Education License with an Early Childhood Education endorsement (formerly called type 04 teaching certificate). Alternatively, have a Gateways to Opportunity ECE Credential, Level 5 and obtain a PEL with ECE endorsement within 2-3 years of hire.
- ESL and/or bilingual endorsement preferred/required depending on ISBE requirement for the position being hired to serve as teacher in a specific classroom.
- Two years of work experience with children in a preschool setting.
- Must demonstrate a warm, supportive attitude towards children and their families.
Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Knowledge of child development / early childhood development
- Knowledge of teaching strategies
- Knowledge and understanding of the physical, social, cognitive and emotional needs of students
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work within a culturally diverse environment
- Ability to handle situations with tact and diplomacy
- Ability to create developmentally appropriate lessons
- Ability to interact in a positive manner with children and staff
WE OFFER: Excellent benefit package includes health insurance, investment programs, pension plan, generous vacation, holiday, personal and sick days, and tuition reimbursement. For a more detailed overview of benefits, please visit the benefits page of our website.
Chicago residency is required for all full-time employees within six months of hire. We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank you for your interest in CCC.