Extension Agent I or II – Agriculture and Natural Resources (72129)
The Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences is committed to creating an environment that affirms diversity across a variety of dimensions, including ability, class, ethnicity/race, gender identity and expression. We particularly welcome applicants who can contribute to such an environment through their scholarship, teaching, mentoring, and professional service. We strongly encourage historically underrepresented groups to apply.
If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call 352-392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at 800-955-8771 (TDD) or visit Accessibility at UF .
The Univ. of Florida (UF) is a Land Grant institution with core values of unique purpose, excellence, integrity, collaboration and partnership, lifelong learning, diversity, responsiveness, innovation, communication, and global reach. IFAS employs more than 2,000 faculty and staff statewide. IFAS Extension employs 375 Extension Agents and has an office in each of Florida’s 67 counties.
Our mission in the Florida Cooperative Extension Service is to partner with communities to provide quality, relevant education and research-based expertise to foster healthy people, a healthy environment, and a healthy economy. We are the resource that helps educate Floridians to address issues related to agriculture, horticulture, natural resources, youth development, families, and communities.
As an Extension Agent, you will work jointly for UF/IFAS Extension and Bradford County. You will spend about 30% of your time providing educational programs in commercial agriculture (emphasizing livestock production) and another 30% of your time leading pasture, forage management, and natural resources programs. Your livestock program will include cattle, small ruminants, and equine. You will devote the remaining 40% of your time to active participation in the 4-H Youth Development program in your area of expertise (40%). As an educator, you will lead through the design, implementation, and evaluation of extension programs that meet the needs of Bradford County’s cattlemen and farmers. This position provides the opportunity for you to make a positive impact in the Bradford County community.
What you will do:
- Lead, manage, supervise, coordinate and report on your county extension programs.
- Maintain, foster, and build effective working relationships with stakeholders, county government, community leaders, private sector clientele, media, government agencies, county residents, and UF/IFAS faculty, staff and extension administration.
- Establish and work with a program advisory committee for program direction, feedback and support.
- Use resourcefulness, creativity, enthusiasm, and innovation to strengthen current educational programs.
- Review and implement new policies, maintain records, assess risks, communicate, and market effectively across social media platforms.
- Manage financial resources.
- Create educational materials and opportunities.
- Collaborate with other Northeast District agents on multi-county projects.
- Serve as a role model to the community.
- Assume other assignments and responsibilities as needed to support the total county extension program as assigned by the County Extension Director or District Extension Director.
Employment is contingent on the results of a national background screening.
Extension is a partnership between state, federal, and county governments to provide scientific knowledge and expertise to the public. As such, all partners are involved in the supervision of the office and contribute to the salary and support resources. The primary goal of Extension is to disseminate the latest knowledge and applicable technologies in agriculture, human and natural resources, and the life sciences in order to sustain and enhance the quality of human life. The UF/IFAS mission is accomplished through Extension faculty members, scientists, educators, administrative staff, and volunteers working cohesively throughout Florida’s 67 counties.
Candidates will be reviewed as applications are received, but please be aware that interviews might not be scheduled until 4 to 6 weeks after the position closing date. Apply to become a part of our growing team!
What you will bring (required):
- A bachelor’s degree in agronomy, animal science, or a closely related field. We will accept applicants without a bachelor’s degree if the degree will be earned by May 2021. If hired solely with a bachelor’s degree, we want you to grow in your career. Therefore, you will be expected to progress at least halfway towards obtaining a master's degree within 6 years of employment.
- A commitment to positive and proactive customer service, shown by timely and efficient response to clients.
- Ability to work with cattlemen, hay producers, and farmers individually and in groups.
- Strong oral and written interpersonal, communication, leadership, and social media skills.
- Ability to use social media for communicating and teaching.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and balance diverse responsibilities.
- Good organizational skills.
- A commitment to inclusion, diversity, equity, and access (IDEA) guidelines of UF/IFAS Extension and Bradford County.
- Ability to possess (or be able to obtain) a Florida driver’s license.
- Flexibility with working hours; willingness to work irregular hours, including evenings, weekends, and overnight travel.
What you will bring (preferred):
- A master’s degree.
- Experience creating lesson plans, developing instructional materials, and applying teaching methods appropriate for the audience.
- Expertise in getting groups to work together for a higher goal, managing competing priorities, and adaptability to handle unexpected situations.
- Ability to establish solid partnerships.
- Experience attracting extramural funding.
Apply at http://apply.interfolio.com/85726 by 11:59 p.m. (Eastern) of the posting end date, and attach:
- Cover letter that describes how your experience and qualifications have prepared you for this position
- Résumé or Curriculum vitae
- Unofficial copies of all transcripts and/or coursework of your academic degrees
The following documents are also required and may either be submitted through the above link at the time of application, or sent separately to our office (below).
- Current and Previous Employment Form (located at https://hr.ifas.ufl.edu/resources/form-index/current-and-previous-employment-form/ ).
- A minimum of 3 reference rating forms (located at http://hr.ifas.ufl.edu/assets/pdf/forms/ref_form.pdf ) from your professional/academic references. Reference forms will be kept on file for 1 year and will be automatically used with any of our extension agent positions you apply for during that time.
Reference rating forms and unofficial transcripts not submitted at the time of application should be submitted/postmarked by the next business day after the position’s closing date. They may be submitted to:
Ms. Dana LeCuyer
UF IFAS Human Resources
Faculty Recruitment and Hiring
P O Box 110281
Gainesville, FL 32611-0281
Fax: (352) 392-3226
Final candidate will be required to provide official transcript to the hiring department upon hire. A transcript will not be considered “official” if a designation of “Issued to Student” is visible. Degrees earned from an education institution outside of the United States are required to be evaluated by a professional credentialing service provider approved by National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES), which can be found at http://www.naces.org/ .
The University of Florida is an equal opportunity institution dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty and staff.
The University of Florida is An Equal Employment Opportunity Institution. If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call 352/392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at 800/955-8771 (TDD). Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the US. Searches are conducted in accordance with Florida's Sunshine Law.
The University of Florida is committed to non-discrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin, political opinions or affiliations, genetic information and veteran status in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Kingsley Lake
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Kingsley Lake
- Agriculture & Animal Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Kingsley Lake
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Kingsley Lake
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Kingsley Lake