Director of Donor Relations and Stewardship
Reporting to the Associate Vice President (AVP) of Advancement and Campaign Operations, the Director of Donor Relations and Stewardship is a key member of the AVP’s leadership team and is responsible for designing, implementing, and coordinating an institution-wide comprehensive donor relations and stewardship program that appropriately and consistently promotes interaction with and recognition of donors at all levels in the department of Advancement and Campaign Operations. The Director will assist in developing strategies for effective stewardship of donors, including, but not limited to special events and department projects related to and in support of San José State comprehensive fundraising efforts.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
- Oversee a systematic and integrated donor relations and stewardship program that encompasses all phases of donor recognition and provides consistent, accurate and appropriate information sharing mechanisms for stewarding prospects and donors
- Ensure appropriate donor recognition at all levels, including design and management of recognition societies; work collaboratively with Strategic Communications team to design and produce recognition pieces as needed
- Develop, facilitate and execute the University’s overall donor relations strategy including ensuring all donors are informed about the impact of their gifts
- Develop, articulate and implement donor-focused strategies for recognition, engagement and stewardship
- Recommend and facilitate on- and off-campus publicity of major gifts and donors in coordination with Strategic Communications and Marketing
- Implement, manage and direct a comprehensive acknowledgement process for all gifts made to the university
- Proactively support the stewardship responsibilities of the Development Team by assisting them in establishing and coordinating individualized stewardship plans for donors
- Participate with Events Team in the design and execution of high-level cultivation and donor recognition events
- Devise and track commemorative opportunities for new, renovated and existing facilities
- Assist in involving appropriate students and faculty in the stewardship process
- Ensure stewardee information is kept up to date in Advance (UA Donor Database)
- Identify and implement best practices for stewardship planning and operations
- Assist advancement operations in creating, monitoring and updating policies and procedures related to donor relations
- Follow and promote the ethical guidelines set forth in the Association of Donor Relations for Advancement (ADRP), the Association of Advancement Services Professionals (AASP), the CASE Donor Bill of Rights and the CASE Ethics Guidelines
- Stay informed of privacy issues as they relate to donor relations and keep UA team informed as needed
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge and ability to create, execute and/or support, and oversee a comprehensive donor acknowledgment and stewardship plan.
- Knowledge of fundraising principles and practices and the ability to think strategically about donor engagement
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and management skills
- Ability to research and organize information and data with accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to manage competing priorities and coordinate multiple tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Ability to work and communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with a broad range of internal and external constituents including faculty, staff, students, alumni, parents and friends of the University
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Unquestionable integrity and a strong sense of professional ethics.
- Evidence of being self-starting, entrepreneurial and creative in creating and formulating and executing ideas
- Ability to working with major donors
- Ability in customer service and relationship management
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite and Ellucian Advance
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5 years of experience in donor relations or related field such as customer relations with strong emphasis on donor relations and stewardship
- Experience with CRM database
- Experience creating, executing and/or supporting, and overseeing a comprehensive donor acknowledgement and recognition plan, including advising on complex and carefully orchestrated cultivation events and programs for major donors
- 5 years of experience in donor relations or related field (alumni relations, donor relations/stewardship) in a college or university environment or large non-profit.
- Experience in higher education
- Excellent written communication skills
- Experience in management
Classification: Administrator II
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: March 25, 2021 through April 11, 2021 . This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: March 25, 2021 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Communications Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Public Relations & Advertising Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose