Lecturer - Geography - REVISED REVIEW DATE
Lecturer - Geography - REVISED REVIEW DATE
College of Science and Health
Description of College / Department / Program / Division / Unit
The Department of Geography and Earth Science at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse ( UWL ) invites applications for a non-tenure track position in human-environment interactions starting at the rank of Lecturer in August 2021. The successful candidate will teach introductory and upper-level undergraduate courses in human and environmental geography and will have the option to develop new courses in the candidate’s area of expertise. We seek a candidate that will support the department’s mission of incorporating environmental sustainability and applications of GIS into our curriculum. The teaching load will consist of 15 contact hours per week, which includes leading multiple 3 contact hour sections of the same course.
UWL is a regional comprehensive university dedicated to effective teaching. The Geography and Earth Science Department, housed in UWL’s College of Science and Health, is focused on developing students for successful careers by promoting geographical and environmental awareness and literacy through classroom activities, research projects, and outreach programs. We seek a colleague who shares the department’s commitment to diversity and inclusion and who will be a dedicated teacher, effective mentor for students, and who will contribute positively and constructively to the department work environment and will participate in collegial governance and community building. In addition to preparing for and holding classes [face-to-face, hybrid, and/or online], teaching involves maintaining currency in the content area related to the teaching assignment, evaluating students’ work, assessing student outcomes, maintaining appropriate records, and holding office hours. If desired, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to conduct research and engage in service.
- Master’s or doctoral degree in Geography or related field
- Ability to teach courses on human-environment interactions and environmental sustainability
- Experience with GIS applications.
- Prior teaching in relevant university courses supported by evidence of high-quality teaching.
- Experience including GIS into teaching
- Experience implementing inquiry, project, and/or technology-based active learning into teaching.
- Experience with online teaching and use of online learning management systems.
Working conditions and environment
General leave-related statement for all UWL instructional academic staff positions:
For the purposes of medical leave (e.g., FMLA ) during the ~30 weeks associated with the academic terms (15 for Fall and 15 for Spring), teaching is calculated as 80%+ of the overall workload; service and professional development not to exceed 20%. Teaching percentage could be lower as determined by the Dean if the instructor has a reduced teaching load from the 15 credits or contact hours. There are nine weeks of the ~39 week contract year outside of the standard 14 week semester (+ one week of finals) where 100% of the faculty member’s time could be considered scholarship and/or service.
These are the job duties required for the position.
Posting Detail Information
Application packet should include:
- Cover letter that addresses applicant’s interest in and fit for the position
- Curriculum Vitae
- Teaching Portfolio that summarizes teaching experience, teaching philosophy, and teaching strategies; and provides evidence of teaching excellence
- Names and contact information for three references, including: phone number, mailing address, email address, and a brief statement regarding their professional relationship to the applicant.
Only U.S. citizens and permanent residents will be given consideration as UWL does not provide employment visas for instructional academic staff positions. Receipt of applications will continue until position is filled.
Continuous Recruitment First Review Date
Position Contact Name
Gargi Chaudhuri and Daniel Sambu
Position Contact Email
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Teaching Philosophy
- Reference Contact Information
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- The University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the
identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing,
except that the identities of finalists must be revealed upon
request. See Wis. Stat. §. 19.36(7).
- I wish for my name to remain confidential until the university is no longer able to do so.
- I waive my right to keep my name confidential through the application process.
- Please provide your most recent employer, supervisor name and
contact information, including phone number and email address.
(Pursuant to UW System Administrative Policy 1275, UW System
requires reference checks related to sexual harassment and sexual
violence to be conducted at a minimum with a final candidate’s most
recent employer and with all previous UW System institution and
State of Wisconsin agency employers from the past seven years. UW-L
will notify you prior to contacting your supervisor).
(Open Ended Question)
- Are you currently employed by or have you been employed by a UW
System institution or a State of Wisconsin agency during the last
seven (7) years? Please answer yes or no. If yes, provide the
institution or agency name, your supervisor and contact
information, including phone number and email address.
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Chronicle of Higher Education Web Site
- Discipline-Specific Publication/Web Site
- HERC Web Site
- HigherEdJobs.com Web Site
- Job Center of Wisconsin Web Site
- Minority Publication/Web Site
- University of Wisconsin - La Crosse Social Media (i.e. Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter)
- University of Wisconsin - La Crosse Web Site
- La Crosse Tribune
- Personal Referral
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in La Crosse
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in La Crosse
- Curriculum & Instruction Not specified Full Time jobs in La Crosse
- Teacher Education Not specified Full Time jobs in La Crosse
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in La Crosse