Academic Success Coach
Academic Success Coach
Job ID: 225163
Location: Statesboro, Georgia
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Join Our Team at Georgia Southern!
Georgia Southern is a dynamic university with three vibrant campuses in Hinesville, Savannah and Statesboro serving the communities in Southeast Georgia. As a Carnegie Doctoral/R2 institution, our world-class scholars instruct about 26,000 students in associate's, bachelors, masters and doctoral level degree programs. Whether you are seeking the charm of a small town, the traditions of a historical/urban destination near the beach or supporting our military service members and their families, Georgia Southern offers its faculty and staff the best of all worlds!
Beyond an ideal location, there is a place for you to work in an exciting environment abounding with opportunities for personal and professional growth. We are steeped in tradition and devoted to academic distinction in teaching, scholarship and service. In 2018 Forbes Magazine listed Georgia Southern, along with 10 other Georgia companies or institutions, as one of America's Best Midsize Employers. Georgia Southern University is passionate about serving our region while preparing our students to be lifelong scholars, leaders, and responsible stewards of their communities and the world.
0103010 - Academic Success Center
Serve as primary facilitator of academic coaching for students on academic intervention. Support students through creation, maintenance, and completion of an Academic Improvement Plan (AIP). Orient students to intervention process and University policies. Maintain positive relationship with assigned students, monitor progress, and provide additional follow up and referrals to appropriate resources as needed. Support non-AI students who opt-in for services. This position has been identified by Federal Law (Jeanne Clery Act) as a Campus Security Authority (CSA), with significant student and campus responsibilities. CSA 's are obligated to report crimes reported to them which occurred on campus, in public areas bordering campus and in certain non-campus buildings owned or controlled (leased) by the University.
- Perform related duties as assigned to support the mission of the University
- Respond constructively to a wide range of student concerns, not all of which may be academic
- Maintain effective working relationship with students
- Track students throughout semester to ensure continued use of support services and review student progress; and maintain student AIPs and progress notes in EAB
- Collaborate with Success Coach team
- Moderate online resource platform for students to access online modules and discussion groups for academic support
- Participate in on-going training and development with Success Coach team
- Maintain current calendar for walk-in hours and student appointments
- Stay current on events and trends related to academic intervention strategies and coaching relationships with students
- Serve on University and departmental committees
- Represent Academic Success Center at events including orientation, open houses, and recruitment events
- Coach and guide students in completing self-assessments
- Assist with registration
- Work with students to create SMART goals on AIPs
- Establish and maintain communication with a caseload of more than 200 students on academic intervention
- Present group orientation sessions (GSU 1000) to students new to academic intervention
- Acclimate students to University policy on academic standing and intervention
- Guide students through self-assessment to design and follow through on AIPs
- Provide individual and/or group coaching sessions to assist students in making progress on AIPs
- Link students to academic support services and other campus resources
- Bachelor's degree in education, psychology, or related field
- One or more years of experience working in educational support settings, coaching, mentoring, or related environment
Preferred Educational Qualifications
- Master's degree
- Experience working in academic support in higher education
Required Documents to Attach
- Please provide three (3) professional references in the Required Documents to Attach section on your application.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Consistently exhibit engaging customer service
- Navigate web access and email with or without reasonable accommodation
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently
- Proficient with computers and computer applications, including Microsoft Office, Google and e-mail
- Adhere to University policies and procedures to meet Institutional goals and support University's mission for student success
- Demonstrate commitment to inclusiveness by working well with diverse populations
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion
- Demonstrate appropriate organizational skills as required for specific position
- Effective communication (verbal and written), organizational, project and time management, and human relations skills
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service centered work ethic
- Effective time management, problem solving, listening, public speaking, advising and counseling skills
Apply Before Date
April 16, 2021
For more information or questions about a job posting, please contact the Department of Human Resources by phone at (912) 478-6947 or by email at email@example.com.
For technical support, please call the Shared Services Center at (877) 251-2644 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Conditions of Employment
- Georgia Southern University is a Tobacco and Smoke-Free Community.
- Successful completion of background investigation and legal authorization to work in the US prior to employment
- Must be able to perform duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation
- Maintain valid drivers license
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Georgia Southern University, as determined by Georgia Southern University in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.
Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Southern University provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, or disability. Individuals in need of reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act to participate in the search process should notify Human Resources: (912) 478-6947.
- Must be able to perform duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Work generally performed in office environment
- Workweek may occasionally extend beyond 40 hours to evenings and weekends
- May be required to travel occasionally
- May be required to perform data entry for extended periods
Standard and Education
Believing that diversity, equity, and inclusion contribute to excellence in the workplace and to the quality of the University's academic environment, Georgia Southern University is committed to recruiting and retaining diverse faculty and staff to support, promote, and serve a diverse student body and promote Inclusive Excellence. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, whose work furthers the institution's Inclusive Excellence goals, and who bring to campus varied life experiences, perspectives and backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=39000&JobOpeningId=225163&PostingSeq=1