Coordinator of Veterans Services
Framingham State University is a vibrant comprehensive liberal arts institution located in the MetroWest suburbs of Boston, which integrates an academically challenging liberal arts education with workforce preparation programs. Founded in 1839, FSU enrolls about 4,000 undergraduates and 1,200 graduate and professional students. FSU offers 35 bachelor's degrees with 55 specialized concentrations, 63 minors, and 26 master's degree programs, in a highly personalized teaching environment. Our community takes pride in empowering student success by providing a superior education, leading research and innovation opportunities, and a strong first-year experience.
At FSU, we are deeply committed to inclusive excellence, encouraging a supportive, diverse and collaborative learning environment, and providing culturally relevant education. We are honored that our commitment earned FSU six Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Awards from INSIGHT Into Diversity and that we are the only public institution in Massachusetts recognized in 2018, 2019, and 2020. FSU is designated as an emerging Hispanic-Serving Institution by the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities and also belongs to the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) Inclusive Excellence community, providing national leadership in science education and exploring strategies that will lead to more inclusive science education. We encourage applications from those who share our commitment to promoting a diverse, welcoming, and inclusive community.
Our founding motto, LIVE TO THE TRUTH, was said at the end of each class by beloved first principal, Cyrus Peirce, who sought to discover and teach "truth in theory and principle...truth in spirit and motive...truth in manner and form...truth intellectual and truth moral." Principal Bagnall found this motto "speaks of sincerity of spirit...of intensity of effort, of resolution to succeed, of joy in achievement." LIVE TO THE TRUTH continues to guide our institution in practice and endeavor. If you share in this quest for truth and a commitment to living it fully, make the next chapter of your career the best chapter at Framingham State University.
Learn more about our career opportunities at www.framingham.edu/careers.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
- Reporting to the Associate Dean of Students, Student Life; the Bursar/Director of Student Accounts; and to the Registrar the Coordinator.
- Provides vision, direction, program development and daily administration of the Veteran Student Services Center as the primary contact person for veteran/service member students and as a resource to prospective students.
- Responsible for certifying semester enrollment, degree completion progress, and accurate benefit payment requests to the appropriate federal agency for all currently enrolled Veterans/service member students and eligible dependents.
- Manages complex student issues, including but not limited to: transitioning from the military to higher education; understanding campus requirements; understanding of VA educational benefits and the related university billing; refunding and payment requirements; managing campus resource referrals encouraging student success, personal development and academic skills building; providing short-term military leave support and tracking; and, exploring career options and preparing for life after FSU.
- Collaborates with the staff in the offices of the University Registrar, Student Accounts, Financial Aid, Admissions, Career Services and Employer Relations, Graduate Studies, Continuing Education, Student Involvement and Leadership Development, and with other members of the FSU community to enhance the experience of veteran students.
- Participates in all external audits of Veterans records. Collaborates with members of the larger Metro West Community to establish relationships to facilitate services and opportunities for FSU veteran students.
Work study students and contract employees
Associate Dean of Students, Student Life (primary); Bursar/Director of Student Accounts; University Registrar.
EXAMPLES OF SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Management and Leadership (Reporting to Associate Dean, Bursar, and Registrar)
- Provides guidance and support to student veterans/service members on a wide range of issues;
- Collaborates with other members of the FSU community to enhance the educational and co-curricular experience of veteran/service member students, including Academic Success, Admissions, Advising, Counseling Center, Career Services and Employer Relations, Orientation, SILD, Student Accounts, Finance, etc.;
- Facilitates a Veterans Advisory Group to review veteran/service member curricular and co-curricular needs and to streamline/enhance related processes;
- Oversees the Veteran Students Center;
- Selects and oversees student workers (some compensated through Veterans organizations;
- Assists University Registrar in performing internal audits to maintain compliance with State Approving Agency and Veterans Affairs regulations, which includes systematic examination of veteran student records and transcripts, generating reports, management controls, policies and practices implemented at the University. The incumbent is responsible for creating spreadsheets, charts, graphs, databases and reports as well as maintaining departmental statistical data. They will collect, collate and maintain all departmental statistics, utilizing appropriate programs to formulate reports;
- Remains informed on changes to veteran/service member benefits as they relate to students and best practices in supporting veteran students by connecting with other Veteran Coordinators, subscribing to relevant publications and list-serves, and attending conferences
- Develops and maintains internal procedures and manual as it pertains to Veteran's Services.
- This position is accountable for ensuring that affirmative action, equal opportunity, and diversity are integrally tied to all actions and decisions in areas of responsibility.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Community Engagement and Marketing (Reporting to Associate Dean and Bursar)
- Develops partnerships with national organizations, community colleges, local service bases and community-based organizations with the intention of meeting local veterans' educational needs, establish best practices and increase the veteran population
- Assists Admissions in recruiting veterans at local military service events and fairs
- Develops collaborative relationships with members of the Metro West Community to facilitate services and opportunities for FSU veteran students;
- Maintains the Framingham State University Veteran/Service member Web-site
- Serves on University-Wide committees of relevance to the veteran/service member population and initiates regular meetings of faculty and staff from areas/offices of particular relevance to veteran students
- Represents FSU to related external veteran and/or military service organizations
Enrollment Certifications and Audits (Reporting to the Bursar and Registrar)
- Determines accurate Veteran and dependent benefit payment requests to VA Once;
- Assists the Student Accounts office with the coordination and timely reconciliation of all Veterans benefits (Chap. 33, Post-911 GI Bill, etc.) between Banner and VA Once, particularly Third Party VA billing accounts;
- Assists the Student Accounts Office in the timely determination of and transfer to the proper Third Party VA billing account for all waiver of or VA partial payment of all VA benefits;
- Assists Student Accounts in determining the proper tuition rates;
- Works with the VA to resolve any short payments and / or billing vs. payment discrepancies;
- Assists veteran/service member students and eligible dependents in explaining the appropriate amount of available funding through the VA as well as the impact of any waiver/exemption/discounts offered by either the university or other funding;
- Monitors available benefit balances vs. billing to proactively assist veterans in planning payment options as well as assisting Student Accounts with collections of same;
- Assists Student Accounts and Finance in reviewing all VA related US Treasury Offset Program (TOPS) requests forwarded by the Office of the State Comptroller to determine any refunds amounts due to the VA Debt Management Center (DMC) and / or clarifying payment amounts and "Paid in Full" designations from the VA
Under the direction of the University Registrar:
- Collaborates with the University Registrar to maintain hardcopy and electronic-copy student files of all Veterans/service members and eligible dependents.
- Certifies enrollment and degree completion progress, under the direction of the University Registrar
- Maintains relevant Banner database fields and reviews related reports for accuracy, under the direction of the University Registrar;
- Assists the Registrar with the collection and dissemination of Categorical Tuition Waivers and required related materials prior to the start of each semester;
Student Development: Academic, Health, and Social Support (Reporting to Associate Dean)
- Plays an active role in the orientation of veteran/service member students facilitating their successful transition to FSU
- Provides direct service and guidance to undergraduate and graduate student veterans and dependents, and provides information and counsel regarding the use of educational benefits to current and prospective students
- Assesses prospective and continuing student veterans needs and develops programs to ensure access and promote success;
- Evaluates effectiveness transition services and implements change
- Provide campus/community programs which promote a campus climate that values veterans
- Manage resources and programming in the veteran student center.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Knowledge of issues relevant to the veteran/service member population and direct experience with this population;
- Experience with interpreting federal regulations and certifying benefits pertaining to veterans
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong computer skills, including experience with MS Office Suite
- Experience conducting internal audits to maintain compliance with State Approving Agency and Veterans Affairs regulations
- Experience working with VA-Once portal
- Master's Degree
- Experience working in higher education
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and planning skills
- Bilingual in Spanish or Portuguese
This is a full-time, exempt, benefits-eligible position in the Association of Professional Administrators (APA) bargaining unit with a title of Coordinator of Veterans Services. The salary range is $50,000-60,000.
Framingham State University conducts criminal history and sexual offender record checks on recommended finalists prior to final employment for all positions.
Framingham State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Members of underrepresented groups, minorities, women, veterans, persons with disabilities, and all persons committed to diversity and inclusive excellence are strongly encouraged to apply.
Candidates must apply online by submitting:
- Cover Letter,
- Equity and Inclusion Statement*
- Names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
*The Equity and Inclusion Statement is an opportunity for candidates to discuss professional skills, experience and/or willingness to engage in activities that would enhance the university's efforts to promote a diverse, equitable, and inclusive community. Equity and inclusion statements will be considered as part of a transparent and comprehensive review of candidate application materials.
For full consideration, application materials must be received by April 15, 2021. The search committee may review applications beyond that date.
Framingham State University only accepts application materials through our online application system. We are unable to accept application materials through mail, email, fax, or hand delivery. If you experience technical issues with the online application process, please submit a helpdesk ticket.
Framingham State University understands that persons with specific disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance, please contact the Human Resources Office at 508-626-4530 or firstname.lastname@example.org.