Vice Chancellor for University Advancement
The University of Michigan-Flint is conducting a nationwide search and invites applications for the cabinet-level position of Vice Chancellor for University Advancement (VCUA). As one of three campuses of the University of Michigan, UM-Flint is among the top tier, regional comprehensive public universities in the Midwest. UM-Flint enrolls approximately 7,000 students, has a broad and diverse alumni base of over 48,000, is home to high caliber faculty and dedicated staff, and recently updated its Carnegie classification to Doctoral/Professional.
The Vice Chancellor for University Advancement, serving as the chief development officer, will lead a dynamic and comprehensive team of professionals dedicated to raising the institutional profile through the generation of new resources, enhanced alumni and corporate partnerships, and strategic communications, marketing and branding. The VCUA oversees: Development (major and planned giving), Alumni Relations and Annual Giving, and Corporate and Foundation Engagement in partnership with Business Engagement in the Office of Research and Economic Development.
The Vice Chancellor for University Advancement reports directly to the Chancellor of the University of Michigan-Flint and serves as a member of his cabinet. The VCUA works closely with the Chancellor and other senior campus leaders in setting priorities and devising strategies to achieve institution-wide objectives. The VCUA is responsible for University Advancement’s strategic planning and oversight of annual fundraising goals and objectives, management of fiscal and personnel resources, program development, and assessment and evaluation.
Ensuring affordability and academic quality in a climate of flat state appropriations and constraints on tuition increases elevates the need for philanthropic resources and creative approaches for new revenue generation. The Vice Chancellor for University Advancement, as the chief development officer, will work closely with key community members, deans, and faculty members to engage, coordinate and support these key stakeholders in their respective fundraising efforts. The VCUA will significantly expand of the major gift donor base, as well as sustain and increase major gift and overall philanthropic support for the University. The University Development Office at UM-Ann Arbor has significant expertise and experience in public higher education fundraising and will be a key resource for this position.
The Vice Chancellor for University Advancement will need to have the knowledge, skill-set and abilities to perform the following responsibilities:
- Advance the mission, vision, and short-and long-term goals of UM-Flint in concert with the Chancellor and his senior leadership team.
- Provide direction, supervision and oversight to the Office of University Advancement, which includes: development, alumni relations and annual giving, corporate and foundation engagement.
- Provide reliable guidance to the Chancellor, cabinet members and other campus leadership by serving as the institution’s chief fundraiser, to cultivate and secure transformational gifts.
- Develop and implement large-scale campaigns designed to raise significant funds and elevate the University’s position within the region. Lead teams to identify compelling major funding opportunities and match them with existing and potential donors. Provide exceptional leadership in the planning, preparation and execution of a future comprehensive campaign.
- Lead teams to cultivate an alumni base and engage them in institutional initiatives which will maintain and build dynamic portfolios of high net worth individuals and secure major, capital and planned gifts, as well as advanced annual gifts and endowment support.
- Serve as an exemplary university advocate in the community, partnering with local leaders, elected officials, faith-based, business and corporate organizations, to build relationships that closely link the community and the University.
- Work as a member of tri-campus (Ann Arbor, Dearborn and Flint) partnerships to leverage philanthropic opportunities and build sustainable relationships for University Advancement successes.
- Successfully seek out and implement best practices in the management and execution of advancement goals for a higher education or non-profit organization.
- Ensure that all units comprising University Advancement are seen as collaborative and proactive partners able to professionally address both opportunities and concerns.
- Create challenging roles, responsibilities, and developmental assignments for University Advancement personnel that leverage and grow talent to meet university needs, while fostering a positive and collaborative work environment.
- Hire, train, inspire, and guide direct reports and the entire Advancement team towards accountable, goal-oriented outcomes that encourage each person’s contributions to the team.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal and team building skills including, but not limited to, managing conflict.
- Other duties as assigned by the Chancellor.
- Seven to ten years of progressively responsible fundraising and high level leadership experience in advancement areas, either in a higher education institution or within a complex, non-profit institution.
- Demonstrated capacity to cultivate, solicit and steward positive internal and external relationships with major donors, organization leaders and community stakeholders resulting in gifts of six and seven figures or more from individuals, foundations and/or corporations.
- Experience working with senior level fundraising partners as well as cultural sensitivity and the necessary communication skills to be an effective representative of UM-Flint and a key liaison to its diverse and global alumni base.
- Proven successful experience building upon an existing advancement program, including individual and institutional philanthropy, resulting in a significant increase in philanthropic revenue for an organization, preferably a non-profit.
- Demonstrated ability to work with high net worth individuals and corporate business leaders.
- Proven experience in the ability to translate ideas into action, partnering with subordinates and leaders to deliver on set objectives. Experience building a positive organizational culture based on collaboration, mutual respect, gratitude, and professional development.
- Exemplary interpersonal and listening skills, impeccable attention to detail; superb commitment to follow-through; strong personal integrity and a work ethic coupled with a humble approach and natural ability to connect with all audiences. A commitment to the highest standards of professionalism, diversity and inclusion.
- A collegial, collaborative and positive organizational leadership style, well-suited to management in a complex university setting, as well as the creativity, energy and political savvy needed to introduce and champion new ideas.
- Superior written and communication skills. Ability to succinctly communicate vision and process to the campus leadership, campus community and external partners, utilizing data and metrics as appropriate.
- Ability to travel (domestically and internationally) when applicable and flexibility to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree preferred.
How to Apply:
Candidates must apply online at the University of Michigan’s careers website (see link below). A cover letter and full resume is required for consideration for this position. The cover letter should address the candidate’s specific interest in the position and an outline of skills and experience that directly relates to this position (as described above).
The position will be posted until filled. However, for best consideration, candidates are encouraged to apply by April 23, 2021.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
To view the full posting, prospectus and other relevant information to this search, visit:
More searches like this
- Administrative Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Flint
- Business & Administrative Affairs Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Flint
- Development & Advancement Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Flint
- Executive Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Flint
- Other Executive Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Flint