Senior Communications Specialist
University Code 13224 University Title Senior Communications Specialist 1 University Job Family Communications ORP Eligible No For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Multi Title Scope of Search Regional Working Title Senior Communications Specialist Position Number 592070 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? No Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Exempt Employee Group University Employee Department University College Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
The Senior Communications Specialist provides leadership and expertise to the administrative teams of the Honors College and University College by developing and implementing creative strategies for delivering information to a wide range of audiences.
Key responsibilities include:
-Collaborate with division units, as well as units in other areas of the university, to identify
resources and build strategies to achieve the goals of both colleges.
- Review, update, proofread, and edit content for all print publications, and work with designers
and colleagues in the development of revised and new print materials.
- Coordinate and create content for social media outreach and digital marketing.
- Collaborate with colleagues, graphic designers, photographers, videographers, and student
employees to meet the colleges’ marketing and communication goals.
- Fact check, maintain, and update both websites, developing new content as needed.
- Develop and update both colleges’ alumni communication plans to complement ongoing
marketing and communications efforts.
- Review internal communications data and conduct market research to develop effective and
proactive strategies that adjust to shifting trends, leverage existing technologies, and engage
emerging technologies to meet the goals of both colleges.
- Assist the deans with research, report writing, and other editorial duties.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Hiring Standards
- Bachelor’s degree in English, communications, marketing, fine arts, liberal arts, journalism, public relations, media, or a related field and/or equivalent combination of education and
- Excellent writing and editing skills for social media, web and print communications.
- Basic graphic design skills and working knowledge of publication software programs such as InDesign,
Illustrator, Photoshop or similar.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and to work collaboratively with teams.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative in resolving issues and managing conflict.
- Ability to handle sensitive/confidential information with care.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both written and oral.
- Ability to prioritize work and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Impeccable customer service skills.
- Keen attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within and outside the
workgroup and serve as a liaison for the organizational unit.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully work in a diverse, multi-disciplinary environment.
Preferred Hiring Standards
- Master’s degree.
- Experience in online social media and content development.
- Experience creating effective web pages and print communications.
- Strategic communications experience in higher education.
- Experience managing communications for student-facing services.
- Demonstrated success developing and implementing communications strategies.
Required Licenses/ Certifications Anticipated Hiring Range Up to $60,000 Application Process/Additional Information Campus Monroe Park Campus Hours/Week 40 Normal Work Days/Hours Monday-Friday Job Open Date 03/24/2021 Posting will close on or before 04/23/2021 Open Until Filled No Job Category Is this a restricted position? No Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? Yes Sensitive Position No Resource Critical No Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/104542 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Where did you hear about this position?
- VCU Website
- Professional Diversity Network
- Richmond SHRM
- * If you selected 'Other' for your referral source, please
indicate where you heard about this posting? (If you did not select
'Other,' please enter 'n/a.'
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have a Bachelor's Degree?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Communications Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Other Communications Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Public Relations & Advertising Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond