Communication Safety Officer, UM Police Department
The UM Police department invites applications for a Communications Safety Officer to join their team on-campus. The person assigned to this position is expected to answer emergency calls and dispatch University of Montana Police via two-way radio system. This position will also monitor several alarm systems. It is required for the incumbent in this role to develop a working knowledge of several computer systems including Criminal Justice information, Banner, T2 parking software, and Keys systems, as well as become familiar with the geography of campus.
- Skills in the use of personal computer and related software
- Ability to interpret and apply state, federal, and University regulations
- Ability to identify and resolve problems independently
- Ability to understand and work with a diverse population under a variety of situations
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Ability to remain calm and effective in emergency situations
- Possess or ability to learn department regulations, policies and procedures
- Possess or ability to learn state and municipal statutes and ability to apply knowledge in work environment
- Ability to read a map, interpret directions and relay map information to concerned parties
- Knowledge of radio codes and ability to apply codes in work environment
- Ability to listen to and comprehend radio traffic
- Ability to articulate transmissions clearly and concisely
- Ability to retain information
- Ability to accurately and efficiently operate dispatch equipment (telephones, computers, & radios)
- Possess or ability to learn Banner system to retrieve student information requested by Officers
- Possess or ability to learn CJIN/NCIC computer system and ability to apply knowledge in work environment
- Knowledge of multi-line police and emergency telephones and ability to apply knowledge in work environment
- Ability to gain and maintain control of situations through verbal command and instruction
- Ability to obtain pertinent information from caller
- Ability to prioritize calls from information given
- Ability to perceive accurately, form valid conclusions, arrive at sound judgments and make proper decisions
- Ability to perform during high stress, heavy task load or unusual/complex situations
- Ability to effectively interact with other department members in various capacities
- Ability to communicate effectively and concisely in writing preliminary reports
Minimum Required Experience
- High School diploma and two (2) years related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- State Certification for Communication Officers and completion of the MT Law enforcement Communications Officer training or obtain certification by completing an online training certificate for the Criminal Justice network software and a weeklong training class at the MT Law Enforcement Academy for state certification for Communication Officers upon hire
About UMPD and UM
UM Police Department is composed of the UMPD - Police and UMPD - Parking Division. Both areas of UMPD work in partnership with the campus community to provide the most professional, effective public safety services possible. From parking management to crime prevention, the University of Montana Police Department is dedicated to supporting an environment which is safe and conducive to learning.
The University of Montana provides a culture that values hard work, intellectual curiosity, diversity, collegiality, innovative thinking, and teamwork, making it a great place to grow and develop professionally. The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its essential values of innovation and creativity, impact, openness, and partnership.
The University of Montana is a unit of the Montana University System with over 10,000 students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 72,000, surrounded by mountain grandeur which was recently ranked in the “ top 20 best college towns with a population of less than 250,000 ” by the American Institute for Economic Research and ranked 9th in Outside Magazine’s “ The 16 Greatest Places to Live in America” in 2014 . Many national publications recognize Missoula for its high quality of life . Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action : Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
Position Title: Communications Safety Officer
Position Number: 488500
Department: Public Safety – Office Administration
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week), Position requires 24 hours per day, 7 days per week coverage. Stipulations include working evening, nights weekends and holidays. Flexibility to be on call and cover other shift positions is essential. Scheduled shifts are 10 hours /4 days per week. To cover sickness and annual leave shifts can be extended to 12 hours
Salary: $17.451/hr .
Union Affiliation: FOCUS-MFPE
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include : Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: Monday , April 12, 2021 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Complete applications received by the ‘Priority Application Date’ will be guaranteed consideration. The position will remain open until filled. Candidates are required to submit the following materials online.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular