A bachelor’s degree in related field with significant experience in assessment development is preferred or equivalent education, experience and/or training.Job Summary
Radford University invites applications for the position of
Instructional Designer for the Vinod Chachra IMPACT Lab.
This position will play a key role in Radford University’s efforts
to provide pedagogical, instructional design, and development
consultation related to courses, modules, and whole curricula for
instructional projects. The Instructional Designer, working in a
fast-paced environment with internal and contracted faculty,
subject matter experts, and other eLearning team members, will
design and develop new courses and revise existing courses in the
online Learning Management System (LMS), Desire2Learn (D2L). The
Instructional Designer supports instructors by addressing teaching
and learning issues in online courses. This person plays a key role
in identifying the needs of students, designing and developing
learning experiences, and working with subject matter
experts/faculty to produce courses that are outcomes-driven,
engaging, and ADA compliant. The Instructional Designer
develop courses and manages their caseload of courses in which they
contribute expertise to structure content and activities, develop
assessments, adapt instructional materials, and create media to
optimize student learning. This position is best suited to someone
who enjoys problem-solving in a team environment and seeks to
develop new skills while growing their understanding of learning
and technology. This position reports to the Senior Director of
Operations of the Vinod Chachra IMPACT Lab at Radford
Located in beautiful southwestern Virginia, Radford University is a comprehensive, midsize student-focused public university that offers its more than 9,500 students a diversity of outstanding academic programs. Renowned for teaching excellence and a focus on strong faculty/student bonds, the innovative use of technology in the learning environment, and a vibrant student life on a beautiful campus, Radford University offers many opportunities to engage both faculty and students in teaching, research and public service as scholars and citizens. We seek new colleagues with a passion for student success and willingness to contribute to our collegial intellectual community. More information can be found at https://www.radford.edu.
● Education and experience background providing expertise in
assessment methods, practices, and principles, learning theory, and
the measurement of learning outcomes as well as course and program
● Considerable experience in assessment development with an emphasis in online and alternate delivery methods.
● Demonstrated ability to understand and assess different subject areas. These subject areas range from, but are not limited to, cybersecurity, geospatial intelligence, data science, and K12 education.
● Demonstrated ability to design, develop, implement, and evaluate a variety of assessment formats and types.
● Demonstrated ability to develop learning activities and assessments aligned with the best practices of online learning and assessment methods, practices, and principles.
● Working knowledge of skills, tools, and processes used in the development and assessment of web-based training / e-Learning, including direct experience with one or more online learning management systems.
● Working experience with the design, preparation, and documentation of assessment plans and supporting materials and documents.
● Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive organization topics and issues as well as maintain learner privacy.
● Ability to work independently as well as effectively in a collaborative team environment through face to face and virtual interactions.
● Strong verbal and written communication skills.
● Experience assessing objectives and competencies through a
backwards instructional design model preferably in higher education
and not just industry/corporate environments.
● Previous experience developing objective and performance assessments within a higher education environment specifically working with faculty or subject matter experts to review different content areas and develop assessment items, activities, and instruments to measure learning outcomes and course and program effectiveness.
● Familiarity with learning management systems and online assessment.
● Familiarity with learning theory, learning sciences, and its application within online learning environments.
● Familiarity with educational research methodologies and practices.
● Experience working in a competency-based learning environment.
● Experience with validity and reliability studies and psychometric analysis.