EVC Strategic Communication and Engagement Manager
UC San Diego
EVC Strategic Communication and Engagement Manager
Filing Deadline: Thu 4/15/2021
Salary Range: Commensurate with Experience
The incumbent independently oversees a comprehensive communications program for the Executive Vice Chancellor's Office requiring a wide variety of communications media, including written, visual, digital and electronic, and associated technical applications. Works with management to develop and execute organizational communication and market branding strategy for a highly visible program.
Reports directly to the Assistant Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs/Chief of Staff and indirectly to the Chief Communications & Marketing Officer (CCMO) within the Chancellor's Office to ensure accuracy within university messaging, protocols for managing external media and brand adherence. The EVC Strategic Communication and Engagement Manager will independently develop and implement a comprehensive strategy to strengthen communications. This position will build a communication model to help UC San Diego stakeholders feel informed about relevant policies, programs, and activities within the EVC's purview and will create a strategy to inform the UC San Diego community about the EVC's vision, mission, and strategic goals.
The EVC Strategic Communication and Engagement Manager will be a leader in creating and implementing a communication strategy in a consensus-driven environment, partnering closely with EVC leadership and serving as a critical team member. This position will manage messaging and content creation for a range of communication programs and channels, including written, visual, digital, and electronic communications. Areas of focus will include EVC leadership updates, engaging units in developing strategic priorities, policies and procedures, and key metrics to ensure an overall effective flow of relevant information. This position will assess effectiveness, ensure the use of inclusive language and messaging, and adjust strategy and plans as appropriate to ensure fresh, relevant, inclusive, ethical and meaningful communications for diverse constituencies. Additionally, this position will partner with other departments and UC San Diego communication professionals on a range of efforts that contribute to the strategic goals and execute the EVC's strategy, including engagement, recognition, goals and outcomes.
Partners with communications leads in other units, including University Communications and national higher education marketing organizations, to align communications needs and activities.
• Advanced knowledge and understanding of all aspects of communications, including strategic planning for various media venues, technical aspects and requirements of various venues, and most appropriate and effective applications. High degree of judgment and skill to understand the actions necessary to ensure constituents receive appropriate information from leadership.
• Advanced knowledge and understanding of technical applications to direct professional technical staff, or personally perform technical work, including design concepts, various media, and applications.
• Advanced knowledge of the organization, including its mission, vision, goals, policies, and infrastructure; strong knowledge of current affairs and issues in higher education and / or health sciences. Ability to understand the overall goals of an academic organization and craft strategies and approaches to meet organizational goals via communications.
• Advanced skills to create, develop, and implement long and short term strategic communication plans. Strong skills to ensure production of high quality work in a high volume environment within budget and time constraints. Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines.
• Advanced skills to advise and consult management on all aspects of communications, ranging from developing effective communication strategies to appropriately responding to inquiries regarding sensitive or complex issues or information.
• Exceptional ability to write and communicate content effectively in a variety of mediums (web, press release, newsletter, brochure, presentations, etc.) and in ways appropriate to targeted audiences (executives, faculty, staff, students, general public, formal agencies, etc).
• Excellent written, verbal, interpersonal communications, active listening and political acumen skills. Ability to communicate imaginatively, effectively and persuasively.
• Strong analytical, critical thinking, project management, and problem recognition, avoidance, and resolution skills.
• Thorough knowledge of location protocols and channels for communication internally and externally.
• Demonstrated competency and commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
• Proven ability to write and communicate effectively in a variety of ways (articles, scripts, press releases, reports, speeches, brochures, white papers, talking points, etc.) and in ways appropriate for targeted audiences (media, support groups, legislators, etc.)
• Job offer is contingent upon satisfactory clearance based on Background Check results. Occasional evenings and weekends may be required. Duties may require direct contact and/or supervision of children (defined as individuals under the age of 18); completion of the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA) form will be required.
• This position is typically located on Campus. However, to maintain lower densities of individuals on campus during the pandemic, this position is temporarily remote.
Our employees enjoy competitive compensation packages and educational opportunities in a diverse, stimulating workforce.
This position is eligible for full benefits first day of hire:
a) Health/Dental/Vision Insurance.
b) Vacation/holidays (18 vacation days & 13 paid holidays a year).
c) Work/Life Balance.
d) UC Retirement Plan.
For more information about UCSD Benefits please visit https://blink.ucsd.edu/HR/benefits/index.html and UCSD Work/Life visit https://blink.ucsd.edu/HR/benefits/work-life/quality-index/index.html.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in La Jolla
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in La Jolla
- Community Relations & Institutional Outreach Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in La Jolla