Associate Vice President for Finance & University Controller
Reporting to the Vice President for Finance, the Associate Vice President for Finance & University Controller (AVP) serves as the principal fiscal and accounting executive at the University. The AVP is a member of the Finance leadership team and is responsible for designing, developing, implementing, and evaluating all accounting and controller functions at the institution. In this capacity, the AVP provides leadership and oversight to general accounting, financial reporting, cost accounting, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, bursar, and risk management functions. Additionally, the AVP serves as a respected, senior advisor to the Vice President and other university executives regarding the financial position of the institution. The AVP is a critical liaison with key constituents including federal and state agencies, auditors and the University’s Board of Visitors.
Key areas of responsibility include:
• Leading financial functions and related ERP systems for planning, accounting operations, and financial reporting & analyses.
• Overseeing and directing the development of financial policies & procedures governing accounting and fiscal transactions at the university to ensure compliance and appropriate stewardship of public funds.
• Leading efforts for continuous improvements to streamline financial processes and procedures to increase efficiencies, reduce administrative burdens and person-hours needed to complete tasks, and provide excellent customer service.
• Serving as the primary advisor to the VP for Finance on accounting, reporting, cash management, and tax compliance matters and serving as the liaison for external audits and reviews including the annual financial statements, federal auditors for fringe benefits and Facilities and Administrative costs rates, or other audits.
• Advising University senior leadership and the Board of Visitors on issues of an accounting or financial reporting nature such as assessing the impacts of new laws, regulations, and accounting pronouncements.
• Providing leadership to and actively participating in creating, establishing and maintaining internal controls necessary to mitigate risks, ensure compliance with federal and state laws and regulations, and protect the assets of the institution.
• Providing oversight and leadership to the Accounts Payable, Payroll, General Accounting, Cost Accounting, Financial Reporting, University Bursar, Risk Management, and Fixed Assets and Equipment Inventory Services areas.
• Providing leadership to the University Bursar in managing the university’s banking relationships and managing the billing and collections of accounts receivable to ensure compliance with mandated delinquency thresholds.
• Collaborating with other members of the Finance leadership team, in the development of recommended investment and cash management strategies and the management of capital financing to ensure compliance with debt capacity limits.
• Preparing ad-hoc and recurring reports and analyses for university senior management and the Board of Visitors to provide insight as to the financial health of the university.
• Representing the Vice President for Finance as needed and assigned on a wide range of financial matters, such as leading or participating in special projects, implementing strategic initiatives, serving on university committees and ad hoc teams, and making presentations to executive management and the Board of Visitors.
• Master’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration or related field or a Bachelor’s Degree with experience equivalent to an advanced degree.
• Significant accounting or financial management experience in a large, complex organization.
• Progressive management experience.
• Significant experience leading a division or unit that has broad organizational impact.
• Professional certification such as CPA.
• Demonstrated advanced problem solving and analytical skills necessary to perform complex financial analysis, identify trends, and assess impact on university operations.
• Mastery of current generally accepted accounting principles and financial reporting standards and GASB pronouncements.
• Proven success in implementing continuous improvements and re-engineering processes and procedures to improve efficiencies and customer service.
• Strong leadership and interpersonal skills with a record of championing change and building collaborative relationships across all levels and functions of an organization.
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity and a culture of inclusion.
• History of success in the creation of policies and procedures to establish and enforce internal controls and standards for ethical business conduct.
• Previous experience as a senior financial officer with a large research university or similar institution of higher education.
• Prior experience at a public or land-grant university.
• Demonstrated success in overseeing financial systems implementations or enhancements.
• Knowledge and expertise of federal cost accounting regulations and preparation of a university Facilities & Administrative Cost Proposal
• Knowledge of Banner Financial Systems.
Commensurate with Experience
April 21, 2021
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Julie Weaver at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: March 23, 2021
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Business & Management Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Accounting & Finance Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Business Administration Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg