Limited Term Position- Lecturer- Simulation Instructor for the DNP Program Nurse Anesthesia Track
The Simulation Instructor has responsibility for teaching in the simulation laboratory setting and incorporates evidence-based practice into teaching activities. Applicants must have completed the SON compliance requirements for faculty teaching in the clinical setting and any required training. The role requires demonstrated knowledge, competence, and experience in the nurse anesthesia specialty for at least one year of providing direct patient care as a certified registered nurse anesthetist (CRNA). Experience as a clinical educator is preferred. The role requires excellent organizational, written, and oral interpersonal communication skills. The Simulation Instructor reports to the Course Coordinator when leading simulation activities and ultimately reports to the Program Director of the DNP Program Nurse Anesthesia Track.
Simulation Laboratory Instructor Term
The length of the position is a semester (including pre-planning and post-grading periods) and is renewed based on the needs of the program, satisfactory clinical evaluations, and the approval of the Program Director of the Nurse Anesthesia Program.
- Evaluating and debriefing simulation activities
- Maintains current clinical competency and knowledge of current evidence in the literature required to teach in the simulation laboratory
- Submits an updated curriculum vitae (CV) to the JHSON as part of the annual required compliance process
- Follows the direction of the Course Coordinator and Program Director of the DNP Program Nurse Anesthesia Track regarding the adoption of teaching approaches to achieve academic program outcomes
- Works under the direction of the Course Coordinator when leading a simulation laboratory group
- Attends course planning meetings as directed by the Course Coordinator
- Completes all training as directed by the Course Coordinator
- Applies principles of adult learning and evidence-based practice
- Meets with students as requested or when necessary to address student performance concerns
- Works closely with students’ course coordinator when a student’s performance in simulation laboratory places the student at risk for failure
- Provides students with a recommended plan for academic improvement as needed and follows up to determine if student performance improves
- Provides timely feedback to students on their simulation performance
- Communicates in writing with course coordinator if a student is not passing at midterm or at the end of the course
- Communicates concerns about non-academic student issues to the Course Coordinator and SON Associate Dean for Student Affairs
- Communicates immediately with Course Coordinator if unable to be present in the assigned simulation activity during the assigned dates
- Clinical practice
- Maintains the clinical competency required to meet SON teaching needs
- Current licensure as a registered nurse and/or APRN in good standing in Maryland
- Master’s or DNP degree in nursing and CRNA certification
- Ability to meet the minimum standards of the Technical Standards Policy for Admissions and Graduation with or without reasonable accommodation
- Experience in CRNA practice role (1yr minimum)
- Experience in a clinical teaching role, simulation (preferred)
- Ability to effectively manage details and problem solve in a complex environment
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so at Johns Hopkins SON
- Able to travel to simulation facilities at Johns Hopkins Hospital and JHSON Simulation Center
Complete all required field and document requests.
The Johns Hopkins University is committed to equal opportunity for its faculty, staff, and students. To that end, the university does not discriminate on the basis of sex, gender, marital status, pregnancy, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or other legally protected characteristic. The university is committed to providing qualified individuals access to all academic and employment programs, benefits and activities on the basis of demonstrated ability, performance and merit without regard to personal factors that are irrelevant to the program involved.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information