Surveillance and Security Systems Administrator
Surveillance and Security Systems Administrator
The Surveillance and Security Systems Administrator will focus on the design, development, installation, support, training, and management of the university campus’s surveillance system, and will assist with information security tasks, systems administration, and analysis as assigned.
Essential Job Functions of Position
• Design, develop, and document the surveillance system, maintaining accurate inventory.
• Prepare Requests for Proposals ( RFP ), Requests for Qualifications ( RFQ ), and bidding documents for surveillance systems.
• Analyze and recommend hardware, software, and system functional specifications.
• Coordinate, schedule, and monitor activities of contractors, consultants, and design professionals.
• Recommend and provide technical information, guidance, training, and support.
• Recommend, configure, install, and manage surveillance system servers, hardware, and software, including upgrades, backups, patches, reconfigurations, and purchases. Will work on roofs and ladders to maintain or repair surveillance system cameras at times.
• Develop and manage user profiles and security roles to facilitate user setup.
• Monitor, test, report, and troubleshoot the surveillance system. Troubleshooting requires knowledge of the interoperability of related systems and network infrastructure.
• Respond to inquiries, issues, and complaints to resolve complaints and issues.
• Provide support and training to Washburn University Police Department on the operation of the surveillance system.
• Provide additional support for the student worker(s) with the installation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of surveillance system equipment.
• Support the ITS Information Security department with administering, maintaining operational stability, efficiency, and security of core security servers, systems, and infrastructure. This includes responding to emergency calls after-hours.
• Assist with creating and maintaining documentation on all information security hardware, systems, and software.
• Supports the monitoring and analyzing of the day-to-day operating environment of systems. Examples include but are not limited to managing the multifactor authorization ( MFA ), phishing simulation and security awareness campaigns, and phishing and incident response.
• Assist with troubleshooting the network/systems’ issues to maintain OpSec (Operations Security).
• Research and subscribe to security groups, blogs, and news sites to stay abreast of information security-related news.
• Review literature to enhance knowledge of trends and developments related to administration areas.
• Attend classes, seminars, and conferences regarding functional responsibility areas as assigned or approved by appropriate staff.
• Perform additional job-related duties as assigned or as appropriate.
Non-Essential Job Functions of Position
• Research new technologies for use on campus with the surveillance system or productions and recommend the purchase or use for faculty and staff.
• Research, recommend, maintain, and support production equipment, software, and tools.
• Coordinate projects with ITS staff and other Washburn University departments and contractors.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree and experience using video surveillance software; or a combination of education and relevant experience equivalent to four years of related experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Knowledge of the operation, use, and maintenance of remote video surveillance system equipment and products.
• Knowledge of Windows, Linux, and/or Unix security issues and best practices.
• Effective organizational and communication skills.
• A self-starter with the ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
Licenses, Certifications & Registrations
• Net+ certification required.
• VideoXpert Certified Solutions Specialist certification or Pelco-Endura Certified Systems Technician or another surveillance system certification at the time of hire, OR the ability to obtain the VideoXpert Certified Solutions Specialist certification within six months of hire.
Preferred: Certification or training in video surveillance systems, including IP cameras.
Additional Requirements (e.g. Physical Demands)
• Carrying, lifting, and maneuvering equipment weighing as much as 25 pounds.
• Ability to work on roofs and ladders to maintain or repair surveillance system cameras.
Campus Security Authority
Special Instructions to Applicant
low to mid 40k
Regular Business Hours, Monday - 8am - 5pm, Tuesday - 8am - 5pm, Wednesday - 8am - 5pm, Thursday - 8am - 5pm, Friday - 8am - 5pm, Other - After hours emergency on-call
Average Hours per Week
Months per Year
Washburn is dedicated to providing a student-centered and teaching focused academic environment and a curriculum that engages the diversity of human experience across the globe. We seek candidates who are committed to Washburn’s efforts to create a climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically underrepresented in higher education. Application materials should clearly articulate how the candidate will contribute to the University’s commitment to diversity and inclusion through their teaching, research, and/or service.
Washburn University is an EOE . Washburn University provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status, or marital or parental status.
Background Check Required?
Driving History Checked?
Drug Screen Required?
Anticipated Start Date
Position End Date (if temporary)
For earliest consideration apply by
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled?
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a bachelor’s degree and experience using video
surveillance software; or a combination of education and relevant
experience equivalent to four years of related experience?
- Yes, I have a bachelor’s degree and experience using video surveillance software
- Yes, I have a combination of education and relevant experience equivalent to four years of related experience
- No, I do NOT have a bachelor’s degree and relevant experience using video surveillance software; or a combination of education and experience equivalent to four years of related experience.
- * Do you have a Net+ certification?
- * Are you a VideoXpert Certified Solutions Specialist, a
Pelco-Endura Certified Systems Technician, or certified in another
- VideoXpert Certified Solutions Specialist
- Pelco-Endura Certified Systems Technician
- Certified in other surveillance system
- No certification in surveillance system
- * Do you have prior experience with system administration
- * Do you have the ability to move and maneuver equipment or
materials weighing as much as 25 pounds?
- * Do you have the ability to work from roofs and ladders to
maintain or repair surveillance system cameras?
- * Are you available to respond to emergency calls after hours?
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Recommendation