Director of Student Employment
Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) is seeking a Director of Student Employment to join its Student Financial Services Department. RISD’s Student Financial Services is committed to working with students and parents to reach the shared goal of preparing and educating creative individuals who aspire to make a meaningful contribution to our world. The SFS staff work to help students and their families seek, obtain, and make the best use of all resources available to help finance the costs of attending RISD.
Under the direction of the Assistant Vice-President of Enrollment Services, the Director of Student Employment directs and oversees the day-to-day operations of RISD’s institutional and federal student employment programs totaling in excess of 2 million dollars. With an in-depth understanding of federal and state labor regulations and federal work-study regulations and best practice protocols, the person in this position ensures RISD’s compliance, quality customer service, and delivery of student employment to a diverse constituency. This position recommends and provides input to the AVP, Enrollment Services on and play a central leadership role in the development and implementation of strategic initiatives that support student employment. The Director develops and implements institutional student employment policies and procedures in conjunction with human resources and payroll. This position also hires, leads, develops, and manages the Student Employment Office. It also combines an in-depth knowledge of the structure and contents of the Workday HCM system and a detailed understanding of the daily operations to evaluate, develop, maintain, update, test, and implement the most effective use of the Workday HCM system. Develop strategy and manages all functions of RISD Student Employment, within the office of Student Financial Services, including stewardship of off-campus employer relationships as well as facilitating on-campus employer needs. This position serves as a central resource for all on-campus student employment supervisors to develop training and resources that create a rich student employment experience.
As an employer, RISD offers a supportive, collegial and inclusive work environment and a competitive benefits package.
- Direct and oversee the day-to-day operations of student employment operations and staff involved in institutional and federal student employment processing and recording functions. Hire, develop, evaluate, and lead a student employment team, which provides robust employment opportunities for students that support the college’s strategic plan and maintains institutional and federal compliance. Guide students and supervisors through all stages of student employment via counseling, trainings, and communications.
- Ensure compliance in the areas of I-9 employment eligibility verification, background screening, international tax laws related to international students, and state and federal labor and Title IV regulations.
- Optimize and manage the use of RISD’s HCM system and tools. Assure systems, tools, and features allow for supporting the efficient and effective performance of requisite student employment operations. Design and deliver Workday HCM training, end-user documentation, and system procedures for staff and supervisors. Work in conjunction with ITS, human resources, and payroll to test bi-annual releases of the Workday HCM system.
- Compile and submit mandatory external and internal reporting, including but not limited to the annual FISAP and year-end audit reports. Manage the monthly Federal Work-Study Program accounting.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive training program for student supervisors regarding student employment policies and procedures and best practices for recruiting, hiring, and training. Develop and implement a comprehensive program for students that includes training, job placement, and job fairs. Develop and manage a jobs database accessible by all RISD students.
- Review current student employment policies and practices. Make recommendations to enhance the overall automation, efficiency, effectiveness, and operation of office processes and procedures. Responsible for developing, evaluating, recommending, implementing, and modifying - as appropriate - effective RISD student employment policies and procedures concerning the institutional and federal work programs.
- Proactively stay abreast of all federal, state, and institutional laws and policies focusing specifically on employment. In collaboration with Human Resources, interpret and translate these new and existing laws and regulations into operational best practices for RISD and train the student supervisors and students accordingly.
- Direct and oversee the Federal Work-Study community service program. Engage with off-campus agencies to develop partner community service opportunities for RISD students. Conduct vetting of new non-profit partner organizations and perform an annual review of current non-profit partner organizations. Ensure that RISD maintains the required amount of community service positions as required by Title IV regulations. Complete the annual audit and invoicing of off-campus partner agencies.
- Manage employee relations issues for student employees and supervisors of student employees in accordance with College policy.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Five to eight years’ experience administering student employment or employment programs
- Minimum of three years’ previous supervisory or leadership experience
- Extensive knowledge of human resources and payroll procedures
- Advanced analytical, critical thinking problem solving, and judgment skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality; tact and diplomacy
- Ability to interpret and apply regulations to train others on best practice protocols
- Excellent communication and organizational skills, strong technological skills - including advanced knowledge of HCM systems
- A strong commitment to student service is required
- Ability to help foster an inclusive culture by working effectively within a broadly diverse community of faculty, staff, and students
Valuable but not required skills:
- Master’s degree preferred
- Workday HCM experience preferred
- Knowledge of Federal Work-Study Title IV regulations preferred
35 hours/week; 12 months/year
Documents Needed to Apply
Cover Letter (required)
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please upload all required documents.
The successful candidate will be required to meet our pre-employment background screening requirements.
For certain positions, RISD is currently supporting remote work arrangements due to the pandemic. When work resumes in person, employees are expected to perform work on campus.
RISD recognizes diversity and inclusivity as fundamental to its learning community and integral to an art and design education. We welcome candidates whose experience has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. RISD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
For internal use only - Job Family:
Student Financial Services
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Providence
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Providence
- Affirmative Action & Equal Opportunity Not specified Full Time jobs in Providence
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Providence
- Disabled Student Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Providence