Academic Success Center Lab Assistant
Posting Number NC00149P Quick Link for Position https://jobs.uafs.edu/postings/1806 Working Title Academic Success Center Lab Assistant Position Number Department Academic Success Center (LAC) About the University
For more than 6,000 students each semester, the University of Arkansas – Fort Smith offers a dynamic and diverse learning community with a student-centered approach focused on the success of the individual. Small class sizes combine with innovative, hands-on learning and research experiences alongside expert faculty to ensure students receive a future-focused education at the most affordable tuition rate in the state. The university has undergone significant changes since its founding in 1928 and now offers 51 bachelor’s and associate degrees, two master’s degrees, and 36 certificate programs, all aimed at preparing students for success in the global workforce. UAFS is one of 21 academic institutions and affiliates governed by the University of Arkansas System.
The second-largest city in the state, Fort Smith is located on the Arkansas-Oklahoma border in the heart of the Arkansas River Valley. Established in 1817 as a frontier military post, Fort Smith is now a vibrant and growing city featuring a variety of cultural activities and entertainment options, including a thriving downtown arts and entertainment district. Outdoors enthusiasts will appreciate the Natural State’s plentiful trails, mountains, forests, parks, and waterways, both within city limits and throughout the surrounding area. The city is also within easy driving distance of Tulsa, Kansas City, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Little Rock, and Memphis.
The UAFS campus is comprised of 77 buildings and facilities located on 170 beautifully manicured acres and crowned with the Donald W. Reynolds Campus Plaza, Tower, and Campus Green. Students who choose to live on campus may do so in one of two residence hall complexes, complete with a full-service dining center, or the on-campus apartment complex for married students and upperclassmen. Campus involvement is encouraged by participation in more than 100 registered student organizations, which includes academic societies, a dynamic Greek life system, intramural sports, and cultural/special interest groups. The UAFS Lions compete in NCAA Division II Lonestar Conference in men’s baseball, women’s volleyball, and men’s and women’s basketball, golf, cross country, and tennis.
About the College / Department Position Summary
The Academic Success Center Assistant is responsible for a variety of administrative duties, the administration of exams to students, supervision of student flow in a friendly, quiet atmosphere that is conducive to studying and learning in the Academic Success Center ( ASC ), and support for the ASC Director. Primary duties include scheduling appointments; proctoring tests, maintaining student files, and records; maintaining office supplies inventory; tracking work schedules for part-time assistants and student tutors, assisting faculty, campus partners, and students seeking testing information; referring students to appropriate resources based on their particular needs; and processing requisitions & P-card purchases. May require working a flexible work schedule providing evening and/or weekend office support. This position is governed by the policies of the institution. The position reports to the ASC Director.
Summary of Job Duties
• Create, update, and maintain student files and code students in the Student Information System. (30%)
• Proctor students taking exams in a professional and thorough manner. (30%)
• Enter passwords for online exams, distribute testing materials for written make-up exams, administer placement exams, and monitor testing environment. (15%)
• Provide clerical support for ASC director including phone calls, scheduling student appointments, processing mail, providing general information; and processing requisitions and P-card purchases for office supplies and equipment. (10%)
• Serve as team member with the ASC staff in providing assistance at the front desk, directing students to appropriate supplemental materials and academic services, and providing coverage as needed. (5%)
• Refer problems to the Director and report maintenance or computer problems to appropriate department. (5%)
• Update ASC program sections on My. UAFS and the UAFS web page. (5%)
• Contributes to the overall success of the department by performing all other duties as requested or assigned.
Minimum qualifications include a bachelor’s degree and two years’ experience in higher education. Other job-related education and/or experience may be substituted for part of these requirements.
License(s)/Certifications Preferred Qualifications
Experience with Banner software preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office emphasis on Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook.
• Knowledge of Student Information System software for tracking and reporting of student information.
• Experience with test administration in higher education.
• General knowledge of computers and willingness to learn computer software.
• Knowledge of planning, scheduling, and calendar management techniques.
• Ability to present material using verbal, visual, and/or written methods.
• Must possess a good working knowledge of grammar, punctuation and spelling.
• Excellent communications skills. Must be articulate with the ability to deal with diverse populations in a positive manner.
• Excellent organizational, time management and interpersonal skills.
Special Job Dimensions
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly exhibits digital dexterity when entering data into computer. The employee frequently sits for extended periods of time, and occasionally stands and walks. Vision demands include close, relatively detailed vision when focusing on a computer screen. Employee regularly talks and hears. NOTE : Current UAFS students are not eligible for this position due to the requirements of the job.
Work performed primarily in an office setting. Work schedule is primarily daytime hours but position does require some evening hours. Extended hours are occasionally required.
Salary Mid 20s Benefits
Competitive benefits package.
Background Check / Pre-Employment Screening
This position may be subject to a pre-employment criminal background check, sex offender registry check, financial history background check, and/or drug screening. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication and/or adverse financial history alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background checks and drug screening information will be used in a confidential, non- discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Does this position require a background check? Criminal Background Check and Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) Check. Position requires employee complete Arkansas Mandated Reporter training prior to employment.
Open Date 03/23/2021 Close Date Open Until Filled No Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, all applications must be received by April 2, 2021.
PLEASE NOTE : Current UAFS students are not eligible for this position due to the requirements of the job
Anticipated start date 04/19/2021 EEO Statement
The University of Arkansas – Fort Smith is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, dedicated to attracting and supporting diverse student, faculty, and staff populations. The University welcomes applications without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.
UA Fort Smith provides equal employment, admission, and educational opportunities without regard to race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, disability, veterans’ status, sexual orientation, or gender identify. The University abides by all applicable employment laws.
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, the University is committed to provide equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees with regard to recruitment, hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, training, fringe benefits and all other aspects of employment.
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial College Transcripts
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you understand that failure to complete the Employment
History section of the application will result in automatic
- * Did you complete the Employment History section of the
- * Do you understand that failure to upload your unofficial
transcript(s) may result in an incomplete application packet?
- * Did you upload your unofficial transcript(s)?
- * Have you ever been fired or asked to resign from a job?
- If yes, please describe.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have clerical experience?
- If yes, please describe.
(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you learn of this employment opportunity?
(Open Ended Question)
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Business & Administrative Support Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith