Payroll Office Assistant
Payroll Office Assistant
Job No: 496689
Position Type: full-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Categories: Finance / Business Support
Reporting the Director of Payroll and Student Employment, this full-time position is responsible for the processing of weekly payrolls to assure that employees are paid timely and correctly. The process of payroll includes transaction processing, handling phone calls, emails and traffic flow within the Office of Payroll. This position works as an integral member of the Payroll Office and the Student Employment Office. This position works closely with other members of the Financial Services Office, the Finance Office and Human Resources along with assisting employees (students, faculty and staff) across the University. This is a full-time, benefits eligible, non-exempt position.
- Gather, review, and verify information flowing into the payroll
system including time and attendance reports, special salary
requests, student hire notifications, etc.
- Responsible for running and troubleshooting payroll processes
and resolving data conflict conditions that prevent employees from
being paid in accordance with their Workday system status/records
meeting rigid deadlines.
- Coordinates efforts with Student Employment and Human Resources
to resolve issues and enter adjustments prior to running final pay
- Provide customer assistance to university departmental
personnel on how to use Workday in relation to tax and payment
elections, attendance tracking, and other payroll related
- Respond to inquiries from the campus community and
organizations outside Bucknell concerning all matters related to
the payroll function, including, but not limited to, information
about general tax withholding, and benefit withholding requirements
creating a positive experience for constituents.
- Responsible for answering the main payroll phone line and email
and routing queries to the appropriate colleagues.
- Provide assistance to students through the employment
onboarding process including the completion of related employment
documentation (such as W-4, I-9, and direct deposit forms) and
teaching of online time tracking system.
- Maintain accuracy and completeness of student employment
documentation reaching out to departments and students as
- Coordinates creation and distribution of annual payroll
- Enters and maintains student employee records and assists in
the maintenance of all student positions in system.
- Assist in processing labor costing adjustments.
- Provide back-up support in processing nonresident alien
students through software for appropriate tax reporting.
- Complete employment verifications.
- Scan documents for file retention.
- Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of,
respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of
other cultures or backgrounds.
- Support the Finance Office in other areas as appropriate and
other duties as assigned.
- Familiarity with payroll accounting practices and
- Demonstrated experience analyzing numbers in order to determine
- Familiarity with payroll tax withholding
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate
effectively with a broad range of constituents in both written and
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to work with
- A results-driven focus with proven problem-solving skills, an
ability to troubleshoot situations and manage multiple tasks and
- Demonstrated experience with Excel and Word, including the
ability to effectively use formulas, organize, interpret and
analyze complex data.
- 1-year experience in an accounting or payroll department
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Appreciation for and understanding of a mission-oriented
University including a focus on exemplary service and the ability
to work within a collaborative team environment with
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusiveness.
- 3+ years' experience of payroll processing
- Associate degree in business or related field.
- Fundamental Payroll Certification (FPC) or Certified Payroll
Professional (CPP) designation.
- Experience in a higher education or other non-profit
- Experience with payroll requirements for international hires
such as F-1, J-1 and other foreign national employment
- Experience with complex enterprise resource systems; Workday
Payroll a plus.
Ability to lift 10 lbs
Repetitive finger movement.
To apply, visit https://careers.bucknell.edu/en-us/job/496689/payroll-office-assistant