GENERAL COUNSEL - POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
Office of Legal Affairs
Primary Job Function Summary:
The overall responsibility for the General Counsel is to direct the University's legal affairs and the day-to-day coordination of the office. The General Counsel will be involved in litigation management, discovery and other pre-trial work, in close collaboration with the Illinois Attorney General's office and other outside counsel. The General Counsel will work closely with all members of the President's Cabinet and senior administrators. In addition, this position will provide legal advice to the University Foundation and its Board. The General Counsel reports to the President of the University.
Specific responsibilities for the General Counsel will include:
Advising on a broad range of matters including employment, student matters, contracts, labor law, collective bargaining, litigation, intellectual property, and privacy laws. Managing University compliance with federal and state laws and regulations and University policies (including EEOC and Illinois Department of Human Rights). Managing matters before regulatory agencies, internal investigations and grievance proceedings, privacy and data security issues, intellectual property, the provision oflegal support for the University's growing global presence, and general business and regulatory compliance matters. Representing the University in Board of Trustees meetings and with respect to related matters. Serving as the University's Freedom of Information Act Officer. Performing other job-related duties as assigned.
- A law degree from an ABA accredited law
- Admission to the Illinois Bar in good
- Minimum of ten years' experience as a practicing
- Experience in Higher Education (particularly with public universities).
- Experience with a unionized
- Experience with Illinois
- Preference will be given to those candidates who are admitted to the S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois and its Trial Bar, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
About Northeastern Illinois University:
Founded in 1867, Northeastern Illinois University enrolls about 7,000 students through the College of Arts and Sciences, the Daniel L. Goodwin College of Education, the College of Business and Management, and the College of Graduate Studies and Research. Northeastern is regarded as the most diverse public comprehensive university in the Midwest and is designated by the U.S. Department of Education as a Hispanic-Serving Institution and Minority-Serving Institution. Northeastern offers more than 40 undergraduate degree and certificate programs and more than 50 graduate degree, certificate, licensure, and endorsement programs.
Northeastern's Main Campus is located on 67 acres in a residential area on the Northwest Side of Chicago. The University has two additional locations in the metropolitan area: the Jacob H. Carruthers Center for Inner City Studies and El Centro. Northeastern is also a founding member of the University Center of Lake County consortium campus in suburban Lake County, north of Chicago.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, and vision benefits, sick and vacation days, and participation in the State Universities Retirement System.
This position requires a background check. Full Time, Continuing Position.
In order to be considered for the General Counsel position by Northeastern Illinois University, you must submit the following online forms (see links below) and send the remaining documents within one PDF document to GeneralCounselSearch@neiu.edu .
- A letter of interest addressing your qualifications for this position;
- Current Curriculum Vitae;
- Three (3) professional references;
- Employment Application;
- Statement of Annuitant Status; and
- Affirmative Action Form.
Copies of unofficial transcripts are accepted; however, official transcripts for all earned degrees will be required of candidates selected for final interviews.
Review of applications begins immediately and continues until the position is filled.
Northeastern Illinois University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and invites applications from women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities, as well as other qualified individuals. Northeastern Illinois University's positions are contingent upon the University's receipt of its State of Illinois appropriations.
Apply for General Counsel
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Executive Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Education Executive Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Education Administration & Leadership Executive Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Professional Fields Executive Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Law & Legal Studies Executive Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Chicago