Associate Vice President of Student Auxiliary Services
Associate Vice President of Student Auxiliary Services
Finance & Administration
Employment Category: Fulltime
Staff Job Function: Wage Band:
The dedicated staff members of the departments that constitute Auxiliary Services play an important supporting role in the fundamental mission of teaching and learning through their efforts. Our highest commitment is to provide outstanding customer service to the entire RIT community.
Please explore the services, resources, and products that these businesses offer by visiting their individual websites. On each site you will find a wealth of information that we hope will meet your needs and enhance our relationships across the university.
We are seeking an individual who has the ability and interest in contributing to a community committed to student-centeredness; professional development and scholarship; integrity and ethics; respect, diversity and pluralism; innovation and flexibility; and teamwork and collaboration. Select to view links to RIT’s core values, honor code, and statement of diversity.
Detailed Job Description
The Associate Vice President of Auxiliary Services provides innovative, strategic leadership and financial oversight for a diverse group of revenue-generating services that directly support student life, the RIT University community, and its academic mission of student success. The position is responsible for the strategic implementation and oversight of the Auxiliary Services departments' activities and programs, including campus dining and housing operations. Additionally, the position provides leadership for 210 full-time staff and 1,300 student workers, manages the Auxiliary Services budget totaling $80 million, and determines priorities for financial expenditures. This position plays an integral role in long-range planning, identifying entrepreneurial opportunities for continuous business development, process improvement, and operating margin sustainability and growth via strategic initiatives.
- Planning and directing activities to ensure the delivery of exceptional services and financially profitable operations for the campus community.
- Provides leadership & financial oversight for Dining Services Operations; Apartment & Residence Halls assignments; University Arenas, Apartment Facilities Services, Marketing, Compliance, Retail Operations, and Technology & Business Analytics.
- Oversee and monitor the preparation and control of all departmental budgets totaling over $80 million, and determine priorities for financial expenditures and oversee long-range planning.
- Provides leadership for 210 full-time staff and 1,300 student workers
- Responsible for all related revenue-generating programming and shall identify opportunities for partnerships and programs that support growth and new revenue sources.
- Anticipates customer needs and regularly motivates or influences others to deliver excellent customer service.
- Defines key performance indicators to monitor and track each auxiliary function's performance and the aggregate performance of Auxiliary Services (e.g., customer service, efficiency, financial performance, and pricing).
- Develops and implements long-term strategic visions and initiatives to meet the need of the University.
- Responsible for achieving budget net revenue targets as determined on an annual basis.
- Develops and evaluates policies and procedures for the areas of responsibility.
- Ensures that business and financial operations are performed in accordance with federal and state laws and university policies, processes, and procedures.
- Oversees the administration of all aspects of contract compliance and monitoring with external vendors, including contract negotiations, drafting, reviewing, and interpreting requests for proposals (RFPs), and ongoing contract management and monitoring.
- Identifies entrepreneurial opportunities for continuous business development, process improvement, and operating margin growth to be addressed via strategic initiatives.
- Develops outreach and engagement strategies that improve programs and service awareness and ensures effective communication regarding the value, benefits, and key information about Auxiliary Services.
- Collaborates with stakeholders to understand and optimize investments in technologies and processes; keeps apprised of advancements to enhance integrated services' effectiveness.
- Maintains pace with and stays abreast of national industry standards and best practices and leads, models, and maintains standards of excellence with Auxiliary Services.
Required Minimum Qualifications
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in an applicable field.
- Seven to ten years of related experience working with large, complex organizational systems and administrative units.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Knowledge of food service providers and financial models for higher education.
- Knowledge of ID card and declining balance programs.
- Ability to identify auxiliary services that benefit the campus community while providing revenues to the University for Operations.
- Master's degree in a related field.
- Ten or more years of experience in auxiliaries' management with a higher education focus/background.
- Strong multi-level supervisory experience with professional staff and business partner positions Demonstrated ability to develop/manage budgets and oversee and allocate fiscal resources
- Facility and project management experience with auxiliary services operations
- Significant experience developing RFP's, negotiating and managing contracts, and developing effective business relationships
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to listen, clearly articulate thoughts/directions/expectations and develop reports/proposals and make presentations
- Knowledge of best practices and trends related to auxiliary services operations and higher education administration
- Skilled at developing effective partnerships, negotiating contracts/agreements, and resolving conflict
- Ability to effectively manage multiple priorities, render thoughtful decisions, and motivate others to reach excellence
- Ability to provide leadership in the generation and development of new revenue sources
- Sound understanding of the values and philosophy of auxiliary enterprises in a higher education setting and demonstrated passion for quality service
Required Application Documents
How to Apply
In order to be considered for this position, you must apply for it at: http://careers.rit.edu/staff. Click the link for search openings and in the keyword search field, enter the title of the position or the BR number.
The direct link to this posting can be found here: https://sjobs.brassring.com/
Rochester Institute of Technology, the 10th largest private university in the U.S., is among the world’s leading technological universities. Its 18,000 undergraduate and graduate students from all 50 states and more than 100 countries are enrolled in over 200 academic programs, including 7 interdisciplinary Ph.D. programs. A pioneer in experiential education, RIT was the first to offer undergraduate degree programs in biotechnology, information technology, software engineering, and microelectronic engineering. As home to the National Technical Institute for the Deaf, the university offers unparalleled academic opportunities and services for the deaf and hard-of-hearing. Founded in 1829, RIT has 115,000 alumni throughout the United States and around the world. RIT has been named by the Chronicle of Higher Education as one of the “Great Colleges to Work For.” RIT is a National Science Foundation ADVANCE Institutional Transformation site, and is responsive to the needs of dual-career couples through the Upstate NY Higher Education Recruitment Consortium. For more information, visit www.rit.edu/overview/rankings-and-recognition and www.rit.edu.
As a member of the RIT community employees receive a well-balanced benefits package that offers a variety of choices and access to additional employment advantages. These benefits, combined with an employee’s pay, provide a total compensation package that can be tailored to meet your needs. More on RIT’s Benefits, Health & Wellness program can be found at: https://www.rit.edu/fa/humanresources/content/benefits-health-and-wellness
RIT does not discriminate. RIT is an equal opportunity employer that promotes and values diversity, pluralism, and inclusion. For more information or inquiries, please visit RIT/TitleIX or the U.S. Department of Education at ED.Gov