Assistant Professor or Associate Professor of Practice - Visiting
Applications are invited for appointment as Visiting Assistant Professor of Practice or Visiting Associate Professor of Practice in the Landscape Architecture Program in the School of Architecture + Design to commence on August 10, 2021, or as soon as possible thereafter.
Appointment will be made on a one-academic year (9 month) fixed-term basis, with the possibility of a one-year renewal. This position enables emerging designers and scholars, or experienced professionals to spend up to two years immersed in the creative community of the Landscape Architecture Program and School of Architecture + Design on the main campus in Blacksburg.
The Landscape Architecture Program seeks an emerging or established leader whose work integrates history and theory in landscape architecture and design of the built environment, and which supports practice and design education for landscape architects.
The chosen faculty would teach three courses addressing social and cultural factors in landscape architecture, and history or theory of landscape architecture, as well as a site or foundation design studio (graduate or undergraduate level); two courses each semester.
The successful candidate will have teaching interests that will contribute critical and multi-cultural approaches to history, theory and for the design and planning of environmentally and socially sustainable communities. Faculty will be asked to contribute program lecture/workshop series, and masters thesis/senior project advising, as well as the activities of the school, college and university related to their areas of expertise and interests.
The Landscape Architecture Program is interested in candidates who have demonstrated a commitment to working with diverse populations, the skills to teach contemporary approaches to investigation, visualization, and community engagement, and the ability to inspire students. We seek candidates who can work effectively and collegially in collaborative and interdisciplinary settings..
• A Master’s degree in Landscape Architecture or a Bachelor of Landscape Architecture or BS in Landscape Architecture plus a terminal degree in a related field, at the time employment begins. Landscape architecture degree must be from an accredited degree program.
• Ability or evidence of potential to teach design studios and lecture/seminar courses in areas that integrate history and theory of landscape architecture and the built environment, and which supports practice and design education for landscape architects.
• Versatility in teaching and supervision of undergraduate and graduate students.
• Professional registration/licensure in landscape architecture, or a Ph.D. in landscape architecture or a related field. Applicants that are ABD will be considered.
• Experience working in a public or private sector and/or prior teaching experience
• Ability or evidence of potential to teach site or foundations design studios at the undergraduate or graduate level
• Evidence of outstanding design skills,
• Experience in community-based design and engagement practices,
• Experience with contemporary drawing and modeling techniques (such as analog media, Adobe Suite, Sketchup, AutoCAD, Rhino, Grasshopper, ArcGIS, or digital fabrication),
• A strong design philosophy grounded in contemporary practice and a track record of investigating contemporary issues through techniques that translate to a design studio setting.
- Cover letter expressing interest and qualifications, including summary of relevant experiences and accomplishments, works in progress, or proposed work that demonstrates your potential for success in this position.
- Personal statement of teaching interest and philosophy.
- Personal statement of research and/or professional practice interests.
- Personal statement of diversity, inclusion and equity.
- A curriculum vitae that presents the candidate’s teaching experience, and as applicable: lists of publications, grants, and, professional projects.
- Portfolio of scholarly, professional and teaching work (max 9 MB PDF).
- Reference list of three persons (including the names and titles) the search committee may contact. Including: e-mail addresses and phone numbers.
All persons with proven experience/track record in the areas described in this job posting are encouraged to apply. Candidates with PhDs and/or licensure in landscape architecture are encouraged to apply. The position will be classified according to the candidate’s merit. We strongly encourage candidates who would contribute to the diversity of our academic community to apply. Position requires occasional travel to attend conferences and meetings.
About the Landscape Architecture Program at Virginia Tech
The Landscape Architecture Program at Virginia Tech is an educational community committed to discovering, developing and disseminating knowledge related to the discipline and profession of landscape architecture. We are dedicated to developing and expanding greater societal understanding and problem-solving addressing the complex interrelationships between people and the physical environment, and exploring more sustainable and resilient futures through planning, designing, and managing landscapes that integrate design for resilience, people and place, and community-based design, as well as design education and pedagogy.
The program offers two accredited degrees (5-year BLA and MLA), a minor in Landscape Architecture and a Landscape Architecture track in the School A+D’s Architecture & Design Research PhD program. The curriculum reflects a continued commitment to discovery-based, experiential learning, and disciplinary and interdisciplinary content.
Our program is a recognized national leader within the discipline. We are at the forefront of addressing many critical issues, including community-based design practices; design for resilience including design and planning for sea level rise, climate change and blue and green infrastructure; and the planning, design and development of healthy, resilient communities. This work extends from the classroom into diverse communities, and through scholarly and creative works.
Appointment Type Restricted
Salary Information Commensurate with experience.
Review Date April 12, 2021
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Roslyn Garrison at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: March 22, 2021