Assistant Land Manager
The Assistant Land Manager provides assistance to the Land Manager who is responsible for the appearance, condition and maintenance of the campus grounds at Mount Mary University. Working under the supervision and guidance of the Land Manager, the Assistant will help the team properly maintain and beautify the campus grounds.
- Perform skilled and semi-skilled grounds maintenance functions (e.g., plant and maintain annuals, perennials and ground covers; weed, deadhead, split, transplant; apply topsoil, grade surfaces; sweep and clean steps, walkways, and patios; pick up paper and empty trash cans; weed, edge, mow and clean lawns and planting beds; pick up, transport and deliver grounds equipment, materials, and supplies, etc.).
- Service campus hardscape through routine maintenance of planters, sidewalks, permanent signage and drive lanes including routine blowing, pressure washing and removal of graffiti, litter, etc. and routine policing of campus to keep both landscape and hardscape areas free of fallen leaves & limbs, litter, debris, unapproved signs, etc.
- Report deficiencies in the landscape and hardscape.
- Performs all duties in a safe and professional manner and in accordance with college and OSHA policies and procedures.
- Performs tasks as assigned from the work order system and daily schedules. Assists with event set-up, furniture moving and other tasks.
- Operation of standard grounds keeping equipment, i.e. string trimmer, backpack blower, hedge trimmer and various mowers.
- Clean and repair tools.
- Perform other duties, responsibilities, or special projects as assigned.
Skills and Experience:
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent.
- Enthusiasm to develop and then apply horticultural skills. Previous experience preferred.
- Safely, operate all appropriate tools and equipment and possess knowledge of applicable safety codes.
- Capacity to work independently and under minimal supervision.
- Ability to read, understand, follow and effectively articulate written instructions such as work assignments, work orders, chemical labels, warning labels, policies and procedures.
- Exhibit oral, written, problem-solving and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to work with diverse groups.
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting inclusiveness and cultural competence.
- Basic computer skills i.e. Microsoft Suite.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each primary duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform primary functions.
- Knowledge of landscaping products and equipment.
- Physical ability to perform grounds maintenance tasks including operation of powered equipment.
- Must be able to work independently, be observant and take initiative.
- Valid driver's license is required and insurability under university coverage.
- Basic knowledge of computer programs to enter daily time, e-mail, and process electronic work orders.
- May be required to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Must reach, bend, stoop, and lift.
- Must walk, stand, bend, dig and reach for long periods of time.
- Some repetitive motion may be required.
- Must be able to push and pull tilt trucks and/or carts that hold up to 100 lbs
- Must be able to climb a 6' ladder
- Work assignments will require walking across 80 plus acres.
- Can be scheduled for up to 20 hours a week, with flexible work hours between 6:00am and 2:30pm Monday through Friday.
- Must be able to work outside in all types of weather conditions.
- Complete work required within a limited space
- Complete work required within a limited time
Mount Mary University encourages applications from all qualified candidates and is vitally committed to all aspects of diversity, equity and inclusion. We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates and all will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, ethnicity, pregnancy, disability, genetic information or any other groups protected by law. Mount Mary seeks to hire and retain personnel who will make a positive contribution to its mission, vision and values.
For more information about diversity, equity and inclusion at Mount Mary please visit https://www.mtmary.edu/about/diversity.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.